How to smelt bars.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a newbie on smelting and all this. I have a bar that is 10-14K gold about 350g. Can I just smelt this down to get the gold out? I seen a few videos where they melt the bar down and drop it in water to get it into a flake like material but they did the chemical refining. I have a small crucible and a torch at hand will this work? I have a few tea spoons of Anhydrous Borax how much would I need? I collected 24K gold leaf and have roughly 9 grams of that, can I just heat that and pour a bar? Thanks guys and I appreciate your help or any advice!

Do not double post, it may get you banned in the
worst case.
And PLEASE drop the youtube videos, you will significantly increase the chance of a long and healthy life then.

Do READ Hokes book, found in many links here.
Then you will have a risk of understanding what you are doing and what to expect when you do something :wink: :lol:

Welcome in, by the way :)

No, just do not watch them.

With the exception of some esteemed members with their own channels. Like Sreetips, Owltech and some others.

Most youtube videos show a blatant disrespect for safety and are many times "doctored" to show better yields than actual.
Some are a sure way to a short and painful future.

So what I say:
Drop them, study Hokes book and ask in here when in doubt.

Edit.
You will find a link to Hokes book in the bottom of
Dave, Frugalrefiners signature line

How do you know your bar is 10k-14k? How was it tested? Far too many brass bars that are gold plated are passed as genuine.

Time for more coffee .

To answer your first question. You can not smelt this bar with borax and get pure gold. Smelting is a science in it self. Its like a different branch of refining then with chemicals. If you want to learn more about it watch this Chanel on youtube
https://youtu.be/MsofYHh2bpA

Back