How to Stake your own Gold Claim in the United States

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Staking a Claim is the easy part. Getting approval to mine it is a giant PIA! The Forest Service is the biggest obstacle you will ever meet in your life. The BLM loves the $159 filing fee, then 10 per year. The Forest Service will give you simple forms to fill out, then start denying, or asking for more info in perpetuity. The FS is supposed to be a public service, but they also bend to the more vocal majority of tree huggers, who are the biggest consumers of mined goods, but don't want it in their favorite area. Good luck in your mining ventures.

It's not the Forest Service, it's the Timber Service. Anyone wanting to do something else is SOL. Want to camp, nope can't do that here, want to clear cut 1,000 acres, sure no problem, let me put in the road for you.

I have been helping people get claims since 2015 mostly through the BLM I have never had any problems everything was plain and simple

Stake your claim, pay the fees, and you can start mining. What about the NOI's to FS, and Division of Natural Resources? Then comes the archeological review, access issues, plan of operations, bonding for reclamation, water rights, compliance with the clean water act, professional engineering, and that is the tip of the iceberg. It's great if you love the lore of being able to still stake a claim. The government will suck you dry, before you make a dollar. Old joke, goes like this; How do you make a million dollars in the mining industry? Start with 2 million dollars.

We will talk soon I am currently living in the Philippines and it is evening here but I will be coming back to the US soon but we will talk early next week

We will talk soon I am currently living in the Philippines and it is evening here but I will be coming back to the US soon but we will talk early next week
Interesting.
Where in the Philippines do you live?
I’m in Mindanao😏

It's not the Forest Service, it's the Timber Service. Anyone wanting to do something else is SOL. Want to camp, nope can't do that here, want to clear cut 1,000 acres, sure no problem, let me put in the road for you.
Or if Barrick is asking, sure, 3 mln gal arsenic leachate tanks, no problemo!

Same here... With slight difference - small scale placer or either hard rock mining is rendered impossible to do here. Literally... I once had a dream that I will open a small mine, with all necessary permits, legalized everything, just as recreational thing as I love the whole process. I did not expect in any way to get spent money back in some precious metals or anything.

I had prospected plenty of places with gold mineralization worth sinking a small shaft or smal adit. Nothing bigger, attracting attention of big companies (which also struggle hard to mine here)... Just one or two small veins, followed by small mine.
No way. If you dig into it, you are quickly said that you cannot fill the form, because it does not exist :D law here does not know anything like "small scale mining or excavation". 90% of public here is against ANY mining, there is law which banned cyanide usage in mining, you cannot build the road to the planned mining place, because property owners here do not give you the permits (because it is their property, where they never stand their foot...). And then come the long queue of tree huggers, "against anything in nature" people, local inhabitants (which never gave a damn about place 5 km away from their village, subjected to planned mining) which do not agree with anything, because they can disagree... And all of them taking video footage of you on smartphones full of natural resources - which they do not want to mine/excavate, but are more than willing to use them everyday. Plain hypocrisy.
I am quite jealous that in the US, there is still the possibility to do it. Such a shame. Once, our country was producing half of the world production of copper, and third of the global production of silver and gold. Now, still very rich in natural resources, crisis knocking on the door, prices of metal climbing to the heights... No. We cannot mine our ground, because we do not. No real reasons... We don´t do it.
And we never did :D our nation was more concerned about farming and sheephearding :D that is why in medieval ages, it was colonized with western nations miners, who became rich here and continued to develop our country further - yet it is barely taught on history classes in high schools. And every local was jealous that they are rich and we "cannot" be :) And it continued like this for centuries to these days. Only locals who did any reasonable mining here were commies (what isn´t the good side anyway, and they completely messed up/polluted many places) - for like 50 years from more than 3000 years of mining history.

Back