how to store cemented copper

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mysurveymail

I hope this post finds everyone making .9999

I am trying to find the answer as to how cemented COPPER should be stored (after drying) or stored under a liquid until smelting?

I got most of my gold out of solution based on my calculations cementing on copper. Now I have started that solution cementing out copper onto iron/steel. I placed the bar stock only half under the solution.

This was after 24 hours with a bubbler going:

20210528_105044 (Small).jpg

20210528_105010 (Small).jpg
From the looks of it, this is either silver or tin. I guess my solution was not as "barren" as I thought. The newest layer looks almost entirely like copper.

Should I dry it out, or keep it under water?
My goal is to make my own Cu rounds.

This is just for reference
cementing order.jpg

Under water. Tap water will be fine. It needs to be in a container with a lid but not necessarily airtight. The water will insulate the raw copper from the air.

Geo said:
Under water. Tap water will be fine. It needs to be in a container with a lid but not necessarily airtight. The water will insulate the raw copper from the air.

Thanks Geo,
I put the cemented copper in a "tupperware" container under tap water. I can't wait to see the solution turn "clear" and to refine some copper for rounds. I may do some 1oz reverse copies of some 30mm coins I can sandwich and jam under my buddies 100ton press brake.

I did the same for my cemented gold (cemented onto copper). Also I dunked my 3 times refined and washed gold underwater too, to "leach" the remaining acids out, or whatever else was in there. Knowing that my hot water boils, HCl boils, and even my Ammonia washes might not have gotten rid of the junk. Shootin' for 3 9's this time.

Gotta get busy ordering supplies to do proper "inquartation" like some graphite stirring rods, for the remainder of my Karat Au so I don't make the same mistake of going trying to dissolve full carat gold in "poormans's AR."

Everybody have a great weekend, and thank every "Gold Star" person you meet, and the Vets too.

Peace

Thanks AGAIN to Geo! Using "cementation" I have recovered "lost gold," and now Copper. from "spent" solutions. His youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZgWF_SepRk

Hey, it may only be copper, but I recovered it from solution, using Iron/steel bar stock. See. It is pretty. I used rain water to "wash it" then I will make some copper ingots or rounds. The color is not accurate, it looks much like shiny copper.

20210604_024530_HDR (Small).jpg

This is a better photo:

20210604_130521 (Small).jpg

The bubbler is still running, and more copper seems to cementing out.

Back