how to tell if pins are palladium plated

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shutterup

I searched but all I came up with is how to process. How would I test if pins are palladium plated or silver or solder. I have a bucket of unknown plated pins. :?:

Dissolve a small sample in dilute nitric acid and test with DMG or stannous chloride for Pd.

Test a second portion of the sample with table salt or HCl to detect silver.

Steve

Hello,

Or if you do not have DMG or stannous, as Mr.Steve said, you can test so:

after you've dissolved a sample in acid, add first NaCl (table salt)in this sample solution, if the silver is present you'll see a precipitate, then filtered solution and insert a piece of copper in your nitrate solution, if the Pd is present a thin black film start to cement on your copper.In this way, I recovered Pd on my pins...(thanks again Mr.Harold!)

teclu

Lino1406 said:
If nitric does not act it may be nickel
(Red with DMG)
Only after raising the pH. A drop of ammonium hydroxide in a drop of the unknown solution should turn it dark blue, then if there's nickel present, a drop of DMG will shift the color to pink.

Harold

Edit: Thanks, Lino. Don't have a clue why I said palladium! My error has been corrected to nickel.

If you suspect tin plated pins, just rub it hard against a white paper. Tin is soft enough to rub off and leave a gray streak.

/Göran

Latest posts

Back