Hunters Chat Room

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, every nut in the country is moving up here to grow pot and shoot machine guns wildly,

I have two bullet holes in my roof from some city slicker a mile off scaring deer away from his crop in the middle of the night with some submachine gun, sure we live in the country a long way from each other but bullets shot wildly in the air have to rain down someplace.

I do not know how many times I come upon illegal grows, or other illegal activity on public lands, I have been shot at, had my vehicle vandalized...

I still hunt or roam and gold mine on public property, but I am very cautious any time I am near any road. I do not walk man-made trails or parks.

I find that these people do not normally roam the woods (unless it is illegal), and most "city hunters basically road hunt and do not leave a road or some public trail cut out like some city park.

Once I am up in the woods and the mountains I feel safe, I almost never run into anyone and if I do, we are on equal terms, I am also armed.

I feel the most danger when walking out of the woods back to a public road, Here is where I duck and hide until the truck with the two men full of beer with their new submachine guns speed on by in a noisy cloud of dust, with me hoping they do not see some bush move in my direction and begin opening firing on something they want to kill.

I am not for gun control, but we definitely need to control idiots with guns, I have lived in the country all of my life, much of the time feeding my family with what we hunted, and have never seen such idiots as these city slickers who probably voted for gun control and to grow pot, who move to the country with a gun they do not know how to use.

The country is not what it used to be.

I know that feeling butcher. Back several years ago I was hunting elk in southeastern Idaho when some idiots opened up just a couple hundred yards from me. Sound like one of those war movies with all the fire power going off. Then all the fish and game people showed up and that hunt was over for me and several others in the area. Later in the day they caught a couple of guys from California with two AK's. I did hunt one more time in Idaho just in the other end of the state. Best hunt ever, off the Selway Bitterroot area. No way I could stand to ride a mule that much these days, but I would love to do that again.

I am also getting a little bit too old to be being drug around the mountain by a mule anymore :lol:

I remember when I had a small mule (Rosey) that was afraid of me, I was bound and determined I would teach her to log, and to pull a wagon, well one sunny day when we we arguing which way to go, I had the bright idea to tie the rope around my waist that mule was small, and I would take control...

Well, as the dust settled on the other side of the mountain I finally got untied from that poor scared little mule with that screaming hunk tied to her, chasing her through the woods around the mountain.

My broken hip and the bruises healed, and that little mule did learn to pull a wagon just fine.
And she would log (but not safely), she would take off running with the log and me trying to keep up, and not get run over by the log.

For you gun guys;

Walmart is unloading all the ammo they will stop selling on clearance. Some stores have done it already and have been cleaned out already. My store hasn't started yet and the case is pretty full. The lady told me she could match other store prices, and prices at her "sister" stores. So I printed out a receipt that showed the SKU's of what I wanted, and a screen shot of a receipt on a Youtube video, and that worked to get the clearance price before this store enacted those clearance prices. Beat the guy's cleaning out the cases (probably gun store owners).

I got 500 round 9mm Winchester $45 (was $85) and 150 round Winchester 9mm Nato $15 (was $27)

All "evil" assault weapon rounds and handgun rounds will be clearanced out before Dec 29th, and what they have left will be donated to local law enforcement.

The Walmart clearance officially hit my local store today, and lots of stuff was bought up before I went back today. So the good stuff won't last long.

You can check Brickseek to check your local stores;

https://brickseek.com/

For the western Oregon bird hunters, my wife wants a few ducks or geese. If you have a few too many in the freezer, send a PM, and we may be able to work something out. Thanks.

Since we had some meat saved up I thought I would try my luck at a bigger deer. While this isn't the one I was looking for he would do. I really had hoped to catch the shot on the camera, but it didn't work out. I managed to get the shot off before he turned his head back around and it centered his chest while missing both front shoulders, saving even more meat. The camera is to my left about 40 yards from me.

IMG_0330.png

Same shot, same posture, about 10 yards further out than the last one. No buck fever with this one, which means I remembered to take a picture before dressing it, :oops:

20191220_162853.jpg

What a chrismas gift! Finally a thread i know something about. What a joy not to be the noob among the refining masters all the time :lol: Wonder why I have not seen the thread before?

My professional title is Jägmästare. Or as in German, Jägmeister, you know the square green bottle with a deer containing alcohol. In English it can be translated Hunting master... Now we talking so to say :mrgreen:
Now, when I, in all humbleness, have bragged a little about being a real master in the subject, we go back to reality. In English I am a forester but in Sweden its called jägmästare and are a wider education than a International forester education. The title hangs on since middle ages. In short, I have a university education how to shoot and butch animals among all other things we had to learn. On top on that I did a 10 week informal course in Zoo ecology. Focusing on poaching of brown bear (Grizzly) and its inpact on population.

Today I do not hunt that much. A little for meat thats all. I prefer to study the animals instead. But how knows what will happend after I read this thread? Will I get a itchy trigger finger?

I didn't hunt big game for several years, except for Turkey. Turkey hunting is addictive but I can't shoot shotguns anymore. If you have any pictures post them up, even if they are older pictures.

This is from yesterday, kind of costly as I fell bringing it out and got a bit bruised up. Might go back out this evening, but not sure just yet. To give an idea of how thick the population is in this particular area this is my 5th deer from the same spot, and my buddy has taken 4 from a seat about 30 yards from mine. There was 4 other deer running with this one, but my buddy couldn't see them. We will be moving his position today or tomorrow.

20191224_164804.jpg

Finally got the jerky done. This is our third batch and a mix of 7 flavors. All the meat has been processed or ate so we will be back hunting tomorrow.

20191231_170318.jpg

This season I didn't hunt at all, but my son and his son did... My son bagged a nice black bear boar, about 250 pounds!

Phil

Attachments

• -5762042196640225959.jpg
    -5762042196640225959.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 88
Nice haul! I would love to try black bear but the old legs just aren't up to it anymore. We have a few in our area but no season on them. I am getting lazy or old or out of shape as my ground blind is a 100 yard walk from where we park and another 40 yards to the clearing we are watching. Some days that walk seems like miles but I refuse to completely quit.

Nice job getting the young ones involved in hunting. I have niece that got her first deer with a 7-08 at forty yards when she 6. I am not sure who was the proudest me, her or her dad.

Lack of ideas what to do with the gold? Home made hitting power might solve your problems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joVc8VFXLh8

As some know I play around in a couple states through the year... I'm in SW Missouri right now. Talked with a neighbor last week and he found about 70 morels. Anyone else out there finding anything? Even maybe some beefsteaks? I wanted to go before we get stationed at Ft Bliss. But we just had another chilling cold snap about 3 days ago that probably set the cycle back some.

Andrew

I noticed several patches that looked like morels to me, and I was so very tempted, I know of many plants I find in the woods that I can eat safely, and I know, that I do not know enough about mushrooms to eat them no matter how tempting, so there here and seem to be worth hunting if you know which ones to eat safely.

Morels can easy be grown by digging down old newspapers in rows. Perhaps something to try if you have your own land. (Should be morels in the area).

butcher said:
I noticed several patches that looked like morels to me, and I was so very tempted, I know of many plants I find in the woods that I can eat safely, and I know, that I do not know enough about mushrooms to eat them no matter how tempting, so there here and seem to be worth hunting if you know which ones to eat safely.

I went out yesterday to see if the mushrooms where coming up yet - didn't find anything so its "a bit" early here yet - but close (this next week I am thinking)

But yes - there are "false" morel(s) that looks a lot like a true morel but the false morel(s) is poisonous

The difference

True morels - have a very "evident" honey comb cell like structure to them with sharp edges at the top/surface of the membrane that makes up the walls of the cells - in other words it looks "just" like a honey comb with individual cells

False morels have a wrinkly look/structure to them that can "appear" to have a honey comb appearance - however that honey comb appearance is NOT made up of individual cells that have sharp edges at the top/surface of the cells - rather the membrane "rolls" over from what appears to be one cell to the next so the edges are clearly rounded at the top of what "appears" to be different cells --- in other words the membrane of a false morel "rolls over" as a continuation of the same membrane from what appears to be one cell to the next --- whereas the true morel has the clear individual cells of a honey comb

It is WELL worth learning the difference - because there is NOTHING better then venison (deer or elk) stakes (back strap) topped off with morels & a baked tater --- its a meal fit for kings & queens - at the cost of a walk in the woods :G :mrgreen:

Kurt

Back