I also went wrong somewhere! Please help!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chrishawn said:
Thanks all, i wasint sure,but thanks for puting my post in its right place. by the way as far as stannous chloride i shaved 95%tin/5%somethingelse,heated with hcl,then just like Steves vid. took just foils [3or4] added hcl/cl to desolve, very nice yellow color heated to rid chlorine, put a drop of each on napkin and no purple does anyone know what happened

How much HCL/CL did you dislove it in to do the test? I had the same problem tying to make testing solution so I bought a bottle of it on Ebay. It might be that your HCL/CL does not have enought gold disolved in it to react and show color.

Thanks,i dont know what happened but i will try to get some online all im finding is in powder form do i desolve with hcl or something else?

chrishawn said:
Thanks,i dont know what happened but i will try to get some online all im finding is in powder form do i desolve with hcl or something else?

To make the testing solution you disolve in HCL. Go to Lasersteves web site and you can order the power to make your testing solution.

If you are making an HCL/CL solution with your gold to have something to test to make sure your testing solution is good, use a test tube with 5-10 ml of HCL heat to around 104C and put enough gold in to make sure you are going to have a positive test solution, a gram maybe. Add just enough CL to the solution to disolve the gold. Warm the solution for a little bit to make sue to remove the balance of the CL.

Once you have this down you can take your HCL/CL solution for refrences and put a drop on a plate and mix drops of distilled water with it to see what reactions you get with your testing solution. This will help you recognize what the different concentration or gold laden HCL/CL might look like.

chrishawn said:
im not finding any powders on steves price list can you help

That was zinc he had. Sorry about that.

I tried to find Stannous Cloride on Ebay for you but got no hits on it. There are gold test kits for jewlers but that is not what you want.

Try and make your stannous cloride again with the 95/5 solder you have. Cut the solder into 1/4" pieces and heat the HCL you put it in to make your solution. I would say don't be stingy with the amount of 95/5 you put in the HCL so you can get a good disolvement of tin.

I don't have the link on my puter to the site I bought mine at because I had to redo my computer because of a bad virus I got months back. I hate to leave you hanging like this but that is the best I can do right now. Someone else might have a link to some.

When you make you gold test solution up make sure it has a desent amount of gold in the HCL/CL so you can play with the results you get.

thank Barren i just did the 1/4 " and heated it to right at boiling and lo & behold it showed a light purple almost pink color.i cannot thank you enough, you have tought me to fish now i can feed my refining sickness lol.I have a million ?s but one step at a time is ok for now. THANKS AGAIN your urbin refining friend!

I sell tin powder on the price list, item number 22 I believe.

The zinc is not powdered, it's turnings.

Steve

I bought some of LazerSteve's tin powder and it worked GREAT. I just added a couple of grams of his tin powder to HCl and let it sit at room temperature for a day or so. I used a 50 ml HDPE (plastic) bottle.
Don't seal the container too tightly, though. The reaction of HCl and Sn forms a small amount of hydrogen gas and you have to let the Hydrogen out of the container or it might burst.

I have made the test solution. thanks all I just noticed a good amount of chrystals in the bottom of my hcl/cl this is ofcourse after i i used smb to drop the gold out of hi clorine solution. I evaporated clorine and salt or chrystals are at bottom. Am i right by thinking it is salt or sodium?

salt crystals, but could also contain some metals in the crystaline structure, decant them add enough hot water to dissolve. let settle see what you have, the salts are probably sodium chloride, sodium chlorate,sodium hypochlorite heated or in sunlight is unstable and breaks down to these, and gives off chlorine gas and oxygen,
it is my belief that when crystals form in an enviroment of many substances in a solution (like metals) these crystals grow impure, and also collect those metals, and washing a crystal (example impure silver chloride) will not entirely release these metals,they are locked up in the crystal, but dissolving would be necessary,seperation, recrystalization used in chemistry for purer product.

Latest posts

Back