I bought my firs cat today - metalic one :(

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plamenppp

In actually, I bought my second cat today and as the first one it was metallic. I have Steve's DVD but it is only for ceramic cats. Any idea how to extract the values from the metallic?

There was a post somewhere around here not so long ago with a link to a German company who processes these, basically they shred the heck out of them and use forced air to separate the washcoat from the foil and the shredded can. You may be able to do some sort of primitive version of that.

If you can separate the foil and washcoat from the converter you could probably disolve the foil with HCl-Chlorine with time, maybe even with straight hot HCl. Once the stainless is dissolved you should be able to procede to disolve the pgms in the washcoat just like in Lazersteve's video. except maybe the washcoat will benefit from more constant stirring. Also you might want to disolve the pgms in fresh acid instead of the first acid loaded with iron and chromium, nickel etc from the foil. That should keep the solution cleaner. Once the foil is dissolved you probably have a mud of washcoat that will benfit from stirring while you dissolve it.

Just some ideas to get you started

Latest posts

Back