I found the best buyers in the country!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkessans

I have worked on refining Karat scrap since Christmas. I figured it out and now I had to find a place to sell it. I called 18 refineries and gold places around the country. I found two that were honest and paid well. One in Chattanooga, Southern Specialty metal exchange and San Diego, SD gold refinery.

They look at your gold and pay you right in front of you.

Southern Specialty Metals looked at my 3 bars I refined, totaling 593 grams, with no Assay and paid me 93%. They even said he would get an assay in 4 days and He would pay 97% if they all were 99. I had some other loose jewelry and took away $24,000. Any way I wanted it. Very, nice, honest and professional

San Diego will assay on the spot and pay 95%.

Others I called wanted it mailed in, or paid 90% or less. Some wouldn’t even buy from walk-in customers. I wanted to find a buyer and make the transaction with my eyes on my gold the whole time. And I did. Here is a look at my first bar, which brought in $9400.

Attachments

• D819781F-5417-48C3-AA97-2B2425AA9141.jpeg
    D819781F-5417-48C3-AA97-2B2425AA9141.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 736
The bar shown was 215 grams

I had three bars..1st one i ever made was the picture 215 grams 98%
Second bar 98% 187 grams
third bar 99% 190 grams
I got better and better in the process....I didn’t put the gold through AR either, Just nitric baths

I walked out with $24000 because i had some loose jewelry and silver I sold with it

Southern precious metal exchange is five minutes from my house on Ringgold rd in east ridge. Bruce is a very honest person and pays me 97% on 4Ns gold.I have checked his xrf for accuracy and it is dead on point.If anyone would like to meet up while your here selling gold let me know.

modtheworld44

I have to mail mine to new York for 97%. I'd much rather walk it in, but the buyers in my area don't much like doing business with private citizens. I do have one local buyer I can sell to in an emergency if I need cash immediately for 90%, but he has an unhealthy lust for money so I try not to sell him my gold because I don't have the patience for greed.

Had you contacted Garfield Refining in Philadelphia?
https://www.garfieldrefining.com
I have no affiliation, just curious. I have purchased small, name-branded ingots from them on several occasions at what appeared to be a reasonable mark-up over spot, but never sold to them. On my purchase trips, I had the impression that they were pretty honest, but without experiencing the other side of the transaction, that is only speculation. I will say that I would never carry valuables on my person in their neighborhood after dark, and even in daylight, I was as well-armed as I thought I could get away with. I presume most refiners (at least those that integrate their office business and refining operations) are located in neighborhoods that are somewhat questionable, at best...

grimsqueaker said:
I have no affiliation, just curious. I have purchased small, name-branded ingots from them on several occasions at what appeared to be a reasonable mark-up over spot, but never sold to them. On my purchase trips, I had the impression that they were pretty honest, but without experiencing the other side of the transaction, that is only speculation. I will say that I would never carry valuables on my person in their neighborhood after dark, and even in daylight, I was as well-armed as I thought I could get away with. I presume most refiners (at least those that integrate their office business and refining operations) are located in neighborhoods that are somewhat questionable, at best...

I used to live near Garfield Refining in Philly and drove by there all the time, and never knew what was there. I have only heard bad stuff about them. No dealings with them to know for sure. I try to stay out of Philly completely now, it's all a mess.

jimdoc said:
grimsqueaker said:

I used to live near Garfield Refining in Philly and drove by there all the time, and never knew what was there. I have only heard bad stuff about them. No dealings with them to know for sure. I try to stay out of Philly completely now, it's all a mess.

I had lots of experience with Garfield several years ago. I was recycling for a major manufacturing company in the DFW area. The waste came from a step in their manufacturing process that involved brazing the manufactured parts and then grinding the brazed areas smooth. The braze had significant silver content. The waste was of 2 types- solids ranging in size from micron sized, up to big chunks weighing 2-3oz., and ventilator dust that is so fine it will float on water. Some of the solids I refined myself, but I took most of it to refiners in the DFW area. But refining the vent dust is a totally different matter. I could do it, but refining it is much more complicated and time consuming. It's well worth paying someone who is better set up for it. So I sent samples to several refiners around the country. Garfield had the best yield, so I began sending them 1 or 2 medium flat rate boxes a week by USPS. All was well for a few months. There was very little fluctuation in the yields from package to package. Always plus or minus 0.1% from the previous package. But then after a few months, the yield began to slowly decline. It was like 50.1, 50, 49.9, 50, 49.9, 49.8, 49.9, 49.8, 49.7, 49.6, 49.7, 49.6, 49.5 ........ not down every time, but the trend was clearly lower. When I mentioned it to my rep at Garfield, he just passed it off as normal fluctuations. I dealt with my customer for years and I can say with absolute certainty that the source material was always very consistent. I won't say that the drop in yield was intentional. But it really doesn't matter to me. Whether incompetence or outright theft, the bottom line is that after watching the yield gradually drop more than 3%, I found another company to do my refining.

Sadly, this is not an isolated experience. There are several refiners in the DFW area. I would travel there every 2 weeks, bringing the solids I had recovered and cleaned since my previous trip. I started with one that was recommended to me. The first time there, the assay was pretty much what I knew to be right. All was good for several trips. Then a noticeable decline in yield and the lower yield remained for a few weeks until I tried another refiner. Then, (surprise, surprise) the next refiner assayed back at the higher level again. Again, almost predictably, after a few months, the yield began to fluctuate much more than normal. Always to the downside.

I have tried 5 different refiners in the DFW area. The only one that didn't eventually begin to decline in yield is Central Refining on Anjon Street. I've been doing business with them for over 3 years now.

Back