I lost 7g of gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lahoop

Hi to all I got 7g of gold these grams I found them from the land . I wanted to purify them so I put them in aqua regia when they dissolved completely. then I added SMB but nothing precipitate. please let me know where the problem is?

You haven't lost your gold unless you've thrown away your solution or any material that didn't dissolve. You've just misplaced it temporarily.

My first suspicion is that you used too much nitric acid when you dissolved it, and when you tried to drop it back out of solution, the excess nitric dissolved it right back into solution again.

First, are you sure what you dissolved was gold and not fool's gold? How do you know? How did you test it? Was this placer gold or an ore?

Second, how much of each acid did you use? Did you do anything to eliminate excess nitric acid?

Let's start with answers to those questions and go from there.

Dave

I appreciate your post , see I prepared aqua regia 150ml of HCL then I added 50 ml of nitric acid finally, I left the solution with my gold :oops: 3 hours then adding SMB maybe 5 tea spoons but after 1.5 hour there was a white precipitate in the bottom of the flask.

Well, at least you answered a couple of the questions. As I suspected, you used WAY too much nitric acid. You probably only needed 5 to 10 ml for your 7 grams of gold. So you had about 40 ml too much. When you try to drop your gold, it is being redissolved.

You didn't answer whether this is placer gold or an ore, or how you tested to be sure it is gold and not something else.

Dave

No it is not a placer gold, they are nuggets I sold 10 g to a jewelry shop and he confirmed me that is gold
please what is the best ratio in this case of acids

The best method is to cover gold with HCl, warm it, then add nitric in tiny increments, adding only enough to get the job done. As a very rough estimate, you need about 3 ml. of HCl, and 1 ml of nitric to dissolve a gram of gold, but there are many variables. Those are just rough numbers. It will not hurt to add excess HCl, but you do not want to use too much nitric. You want to add a small amount of nitric and let it work until any reaction stops. If there is still undissolved material, add a bit more nitric. If there is still undissolved material, and an addition of nitric doesn't cause a reaction, try adding more HCl. When there is no more reaction, you're done adding acid.

Now that is a very brief summary. Just enough information to get you in trouble, but hopefully enough to get you started in studying the forum to get all the details you need to succeed.

Dave

While I agree with you Dave 100% that is how one should proceed from the very beginning in order to get himself out of this mess (correct me if I am wrong) First add some Hcl to see if the white powder is dissolved (maybe add about 50ml) If it doesn't dissolve filter the solution to separate the powder save it until you recover your 7 grams of gold. Then he should evaporate the Aqua Regia solution down till it is a syrup like consistency then add Hcl up to where his original volume was (watching to see if there is brown fumes) then continue this process until no more brown fumes can be seen then double the solution volume with water (distilled water is prefered) then proceed with adding the calculated amount of smb (I would add 9 grams). Now the real question is since he has been a member since 2008 why did he make this simple mistake in the first place. My suggestion is to read the forum on safety and disposal of the waste since he obviously hasn't studied very much in the last 11-12 years.

FrugalRefiner said:
Jarlowski, I agree my advice was not on how to clean up his mess, but on how to process in the future.

Dave

Yes but you missed the old thing about reducing to a syrup. That's so 2008 and Harold. There's much better ways now don't you agree Dave?

anachronism said:
FrugalRefiner said:
Jarlowski, I agree my advice was not on how to clean up his mess, but on how to process in the future.

Dave

Yes but you missed the old thing about reducing to a syrup. That's so 2008 and Harold. There's much better ways now don't you agree Dave?

I agree there are other ways but the reason why I suggested that method is because we don't really know what he has in solution so rather than add anything else to the solution I opted to keep to what he has already added. It may seem off but that's just my logic on it. I also forgot to mention that he should test his solution with stannous chloride to confirm gold.

The Egyptians worked gold a few years back, but I would not call them or their techniques too old fashion for us to learn a thing or two from them, they worked with much less than we have today but we as individuals will be lucky to have the understanding and skills in the art the old fashioned professionals did more with less Using hard-won knowledge and skills and in most cases worked gold or many of these precious metals better than we can, we can surely benefit from listening and learning a few tricks that will help us in our ever so smarter and fast-paced modern world.

I often use those good old techniques and I do not see them as being so old fashion, the 2008 Harold and the 1940 Hoke thing, these were professional refiners who were top masters in the trade what they teach just makes common sense to me and has helped me in all of my refining processes and helped to improve my skills.

When done properly you will not have much to evaporate, mainly water the water from the HCl, water from the nitric, water produced from the chemical reactions ... Done properly you can lower the amount of acid which is converted to toxic gases leaving the reaction, gases that if left in solution would react with metals...

Although I often like to dilute my acids with added water and use the minimum heat to start the process of dissolving gold with, mainly to help keep from unnecessary evolution of toxic gases and to help keep them in solution doing work, this added water does not add unnecessary time to evaporation the process, as the evaporation process is going on -- the whole time the gold is going into solution, and with less evolution of gases, my acids go further doing work, it may take me a little longer to dissolve my gold but I do not mind waiting for a little bit. When it comes to gold I have learned some hard-won patience.

When using only the required amount of acids (slight excess of HCl), small nitric additions of HNO3 with mild heating, evaporating the solution as the gold goes into solution, before all of the gold goes into solution, with the solution at this point now very concentrated and the heat raised moderately a drop of nitric at a time, with the time between another drop and heat intervals of the already concentrated solution.

Until the gold metal converts to ions, we have no overuse of nitric, the gold in solution with the evaporation process as taught by the masters in refining like Harold, Miss C.M.Morse Hoke, and others...

Harold would often recommend adding a gold button to those who used way too much nitric, he also recommended heat letting the gold and heat take care of the problem... I do the same but my gold is the original gold just not completely dissolved doing the job of consuming free nitric acid...

Hoke actually recommended using more nitric than needed, but then again she also gave very effective instructions of how to use the heat of evaporation using steam table as a heat source, as not to overdue on heating, or to prevent boiling the solution (although she may have called it boiling in the slang terms of the day and of her descriptions as she speaks of the evaporation process) to concentrate and with acid additions, she would consume not only the excess nitric acid, or just the NOx gases (that urea only works on), but also describes how to eliminate the nitrate salts formed in the reactions from base metals or metal ions in solution (nitrate salts that concentrate in solution and are not evolved with heating or concentration and can be hard to eliminate otherwise) ...

Noting: The use of sulfamic acid was not so common in the past (I do not know if the Egyptians had a source down somewhere on the lower end of the Nile river or not, but surely they done something similar with sulfuric or something else. they did not refine gold too brittle to work, so they eliminated the lead somehow.

Noting: sulfamic acid is not necessary, to de-NOx, (as far as I am concerned) if you do not use excess nitric acid, to begin with, and use the heat of evaporation, as well as using a little common sense in your acid additions and have a few drops of H2SO4 and some heat (not boiling)...

After the gold is completely dissolved (note we already have a very concentrated solution working this way, we have already driven off free water, reactive gases from the acids, any excess free acid, and just have gold chloride salts in solution with negligible base metals in solution,

if we see towards the end of the reaction we are having trouble getting the last of the gold into solution or the gold is not dissolving or reacting to the drop of nitric and heat--- we can add a little splash of HCl (not much) it is mostly water--- if nitrates salts are in solution or free nitric (and the limiting reagent to dissolve the gold is HCl, or our solution is Low HCl content of chloride salt content) in this the very concentrated gold chloride solution will evolve a red toxic cloud as we add HCl and some more gold reacts going into solution with the added HCl acid and nitric or nitrate salts already involved...

Now we only have to leave it on the heat a short time for the water that was in the drops of acid we added vapors off, add another millimeter or so of HCl watch for the red cloud as the water from this acid vapors of the concentrated solution... a few drops of sulfuric acid (will also convert any nitrates to nitric under the heat this quickly goes of as gas), the few drops sulfuric is very effective in the concentrated solution (H2SO4 loves water) and will help in several ways beside converting any lead chlorides in solution to insoluble sulfates. (See Hoke's book). Sulfamic can be substituted for the sulfuric acid it will help those who have not learned to control their reach for the flask and use too much nitric, and help convert the lead to sulfates, without the small added benifit of hydrogen molecule of the acidic that sulfuric acid has to the reaction.

Actually now the gold is dissolved, and the solution which at this point is very concentrated almost reddish in color like wet syrup, (if not it is not far from it) the gold chloride is free of nitric acid nitrates and NOx or other oxidizing gases.

We did not add salts of urea nitrate or other compounds to our gold solution...

Then to cool, add Ice to precipitate silver chloride and lead,...
Or
Dilute with three parts of water and let sit overnight (or longer the better) in the cold night the (colder the better) the (water additions here means more waste to treat later but it also has its benefits as well as cons...

Much of the decision to dilute the concentrate can also depend of if PGMs are involved in the solution, adding unnecessary water to this concentrate would need evaporation (where the ice will not add much water) as the precipitation of the PGM's needs a very concentrated solution so here Ice may be easier (although) without the benefits of dilution to help eliminate silver and lead...
Instead of ice no ice or just a small piece so as to not add much water and then also chilling in a freezer or the snow will also help and give time in settling the insoluble salts...

Sure watching water evaporate can be like watching paint dry, well I just pay attention to some other work in the lab while the paint drys on its own, and before you know it I am done and do not notice the time involved.

I work much of the time in a corning dish (probably old fashion) with a large surface area (a heck of a lot will evaporate fairly fast with mild heating, the larger the surface area the better...

Decanting is an art in itself, to remove liquid and not disturb the very fluffy easily dissolved salts...
Filtering another art.
Reducing the gold with a preferred reducing agent, settling decanting...
Wash the gold powder to get the gold shiny per Harold's very professional instructions also paying attention to Lou's solid advice on the chemistry of the gold washing procedures.

Redissolve the gold powders a second time (third if the first was a recovery operation and not a refining operation).
for many nitric is very expensive hard or risky to get or scarce for many...
The finely divided gold powder can be dissolved using HCl and sodium hypochlorites (bleach) or some other oxidizers, note bleach is a lot of added water, produces more waste to evaporate later, crates more sodium chloride salts which will saturate or come out of solution as salts in evaporating, consumes more HCl, but here again, everything has its pros and cons and needs to be considered.
Chlorine the oxidizer formed from bleach and HCl is easier to eliminate by time sitting in the warm glow of the sunshine, or with mild heat, no real need to concentrate to salts...

if using aqua regia, it will not take as much nitric acid to put the gold back into the solution it will take less this round as the gold powder is so fine and the surface area is so large it is easier than dissolving larger nuggets or shot...

Using a different reducing agent the second refining to precipitate the gold, helps to get the gold refined to higher purity as one reducing agent will not carry base metal the other would visa versa, choosing different reducing agents for the solution based on the base metals involved and the reducing agent reactions with the base metals...

I probably missed a lot of important details, and am not trying to give all of the details of the processes,

The point is we can still learn from Hoke's book, and by reading the wisdom of Harold (who helped the common man like me Lou, Laser Steve all of us members to be able to learn a skill kept secret from us common man to learn, secrets held in mystery by magicians, sorcerers, and alchemist secret bag, and those who wished to profit from these secrets and did not wish to share the valuable knowledge as us common man then would not need them, secrets held from us since the time the Egyptians made King Tut's death mask, We can study the posts and the things Harold and HOke so unselfishly shared with the forum members to be able to learn a thing or two--no matter how smart we think we are not so smart that we can learn something from the masters who knew their skills and could overcome and do with what they had.

My gut feeling tells me we are daily losing more technology or know-how in this modern world of high technology that we are not as smart as we think we are, we are no smarter than the caveman who could do more than we can with less, we just have a better rock cell phone than Fred Flinstone had that we type jibberish on we call modern communication, we could all learn something from the cavemen who were obviously more intelligent than modern man is today.

Well I guess I am a little too old fashion, I like evaporating to dissolve gold and I still like to hunt with a bow and arrow, as old fashion as it maybe it is very effective at keeping food on my table and refined gold to bury for hard times.

But hey this is just my opinion we all have one, yours may be different.

The Egyptians worked gold a few years back, but I would not call them or their techniques too old fashion for us to learn a thing or two from them, they worked with much less than we have today but we as individuals will be lucky to have the understanding and skills in the art the old fashioned professionals did more with less Using hard-won knowledge and skills and in most cases worked gold or many of these precious metals better than we can, we can surely benefit from listening and learning a few tricks that will help us in our ever so smarter and fast-paced modern world.

I often use those good old techniques and I do not see them as being so old fashion, the 2008 Harold and the 1940 Hoke thing, these were professional refiners who were top masters in the trade what they teach just makes common sense to me and has helped me in all of my refining processes and helped to improve my skills.

They may well have been top of their trade at the time but things move on. Techniques improve, and so do the skillsets and equipment that go along with them. As progressive and intelligent as she was, I would suggest that if Ms Hoke were to be reincarnated today she would spend time getting up to speed, and throw her old book away and write a new one. A new one relevant to today’s materials, practices and equipment. Of course the basic chemistry would remain the same however my point is that reliance upon old, dated techniques that have been successfully super ceded is never a good thing. We could build all our houses out of logs and hand tools but give me powered machinery and modern materials every time.

When done properly you will not have much to evaporate, mainly water the water from the HCl, water from the nitric, water produced from the chemical reactions ... Done properly you can lower the amount of acid which is converted to toxic gases leaving the reaction, gases that if left in solution would react with metals...

Although I often like to dilute my acids with added water and use the minimum heat to start the process of dissolving gold with, mainly to help keep from unnecessary evolution of toxic gases and to help keep them in solution doing work, this added water does not add unnecessary time to evaporation the process, as the evaporation process is going on -- the whole time the gold is going into solution, and with less evolution of gases, my acids go further doing work, it may take me a little longer to dissolve my gold but I do not mind waiting for a little bit. When it comes to gold I have learned some hard-won patience.

That’s great if you have plenty of time on your hands. Not all of us do and we have to adapt accordingly. There’s no benefit to blind patience in this arena because your gold is gold, and your gold sells for whatever it assays for. Yes of course purity appears to be more of an issue in the US than it does over here but I’ll come to that point later on.

When using only the required amount of acids (slight excess of HCl), small nitric additions of HNO3 with mild heating, evaporating the solution as the gold goes into solution, before all of the gold goes into solution, with the solution at this point now very concentrated and the heat raised moderately a drop of nitric at a time, with the time between another drop and heat intervals of the already concentrated solution.

Again, assuming you are happy to spend all day messing around and coddling your gold. That’s perfectly fine if you do and more power to you however it’s not reality for a lot of people. Especially those who toll refine or even do this professionally. It’s great in theory however in practice not so much.

Until the gold metal converts to ions, we have no overuse of nitric, the gold in solution with the evaporation process as taught by the masters in refining like Harold, Miss C.M.Morse Hoke, and others...

Harold would often recommend adding a gold button to those who used way too much nitric, he also recommended heat letting the gold and heat take care of the problem... I do the same but my gold is the original gold just not completely dissolved doing the job of consuming free nitric acid...

Which is blindly following the old teachings. It’s neither necessary now nor practical for anyone doing more than a few grammes per year. I have never, and never will put someone down for how much gold they do in their space. There’s nothing wrong with doing a few grammes per year if that gives satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. All I ask is that it’s borne in mind that an ever increasing number of the contributors here do more than a few grammes per year. For these people, the context changes and therefore the processes alter with the context.

Hoke actually recommended using more nitric than needed, but then again she also gave very effective instructions of how to use the heat of evaporation using steam table as a heat source, as not to overdue on heating, or to prevent boiling the solution (although she may have called it boiling in the slang terms of the day and of her descriptions as she speaks of the evaporation process) to concentrate and with acid additions, she would consume not only the excess nitric acid, or just the NOx gases (that urea only works on), but also describes how to eliminate the nitrate salts formed in the reactions from base metals or metal ions in solution (nitrate salts that concentrate in solution and are not evolved with heating or concentration and can be hard to eliminate otherwise) ...

She certainly did. In the context of the available materials at the time. We’ve moved on. We use radial tyres these days instead of cross ply tyres and why? Because they are better and safer.

Noting: The use of sulfamic acid was not so common in the past (I do not know if the Egyptians had a source down somewhere on the lower end of the Nile river or not, but surely they done something similar with sulfuric or something else. they did not refine gold too brittle to work, so they eliminated the lead somehow.

Noting: sulfamic acid is not necessary, to de-NOx, (as far as I am concerned) if you do not use excess nitric acid, to begin with, and use the heat of evaporation, as well as using a little common sense in your acid additions and have a few drops of H2SO4 and some heat (not boiling)...

And I would disagree vehemently with you. For many of the reasons I have previously stated. By the way I might have misread you however the Sulphamic reaction produces Sulphuric as a by product. You’re not using the Sulphuric for anything. Also as an aside in nearly ten years of refining I’ve yet to have lead in my gold. There seems to be an unholy fascination with it but I just don’t see it.

After the gold is completely dissolved (note we already have a very concentrated solution working this way, we have already driven off free water, reactive gases from the acids, any excess free acid, and just have gold chloride salts in solution with negligible base metals in solution,

Are you talking about a recovery dissolve here or a refine? In a recovery dissolve with ewaste you have an absolute shed load of base metals and it’s often like syrup without any evaporation at all. Black goop is a pretty good way to describe it.

if we see towards the end of the reaction we are having trouble getting the last of the gold into solution or the gold is not dissolving or reacting to the drop of nitric and heat--- we can add a little splash of HCl (not much) it is mostly water--- if nitrates salts are in solution or free nitric (and the limiting reagent to dissolve the gold is HCl, or our solution is Low HCl content of chloride salt content) in this the very concentrated gold chloride solution will evolve a red toxic cloud as we add HCl and some more gold reacts going into solution with the added HCl acid and nitric or nitrate salts already involved...

If your solution is murky the chances are you have run out of Chloride ions. Adding HCl clears it up instantly and prevents the rest of the metals dropping out. If your solution is clear and the reaction stops that’s a lack of oxidant. It’s important to help people understand the difference.

Now we only have to leave it on the heat a short time for the water that was in the drops of acid we added vapors off, add another millimeter or so of HCl watch for the red cloud as the water from this acid vapors of the concentrated solution... a few drops of sulfuric acid (will also convert any nitrates to nitric under the heat this quickly goes of as gas), the few drops sulfuric is very effective in the concentrated solution (H2SO4 loves water) and will help in several ways beside converting any lead chlorides in solution to insoluble sulfates. (See Hoke's book). Sulfamic can be substituted for the sulfuric acid it will help those who have not learned to control their reach for the flask and use too much nitric, and help convert the lead to sulfates, without the small added benifit of hydrogen molecule of the acidic that sulfuric acid has to the reaction.

Here we go, back on the lead thing again.

Actually now the gold is dissolved, and the solution which at this point is very concentrated almost reddish in color like wet syrup, (if not it is not far from it) the gold chloride is free of nitric acid nitrates and NOx or other oxidizing gases.

Not in the real world it isn’t. Unless you’re REFINING previously recovered gold you’re more likely looking at your black goop.

We did not add salts of urea nitrate or other compounds to our gold solution...

Then to cool, add Ice to precipitate silver chloride and lead,...
Or
Dilute with three parts of water and let sit overnight (or longer the better) in the cold night the (colder the better) the (water additions here means more waste to treat later but it also has its benefits as well as cons...

Again in the terms of recovery this is simply wrong. Your volume could be 5 or 10 or even 15 litres of heavy concentrated solution full of base metals. You would be crazy to turn this into up to 45 litres just to drop the silver out. Cool it to drop some of the silver- filter it crystal clear and then precipitate out the gold. The silver that comes down with the gold is cleanable in the wash process, and if it’s a recovery drop it doesn’t matter as much because you’re going to refine it later anyway. The Silver content in most e-waste is marginal at best. It costs more money to chase it than you recover. So if you cannot remove the silver in the wash process (which you should be able to do quite easily with the HCl) then catch it on the refine process and dilute 500ml by three times rather than 15 litres.

Much of the decision to dilute the concentrate can also depend of if PGMs are involved in the solution, adding unnecessary water to this concentrate would need evaporation (where the ice will not add much water) as the precipitation of the PGM's needs a very concentrated solution so here Ice may be easier (although) without the benefits of dilution to help eliminate silver and lead...
Instead of ice no ice or just a small piece so as to not add much water and then also chilling in a freezer or the snow will also help and give time in settling the insoluble salts...

I typed the paragraph above before reading this one so my bad! However PGM bearing ewaste tends to be extremely specific types of components. Not the ones done in AR so different rules apply because any PGM content in your AR is likely to be miniscule assuming regular components have been dissolved.

Sure watching water evaporate can be like watching paint dry, well I just pay attention to some other work in the lab while the paint drys on its own, and before you know it I am done and do not notice the time involved.

I work much of the time in a corning dish (probably old fashion) with a large surface area (a heck of a lot will evaporate fairly fast with mild heating, the larger the surface area the better...

I’m afraid I don’t have time to watch water evaporate Sir so I don’t make the volume in the first place.

Decanting is an art in itself, to remove liquid and not disturb the very fluffy easily dissolved salts...
Filtering another art.
Reducing the gold with a preferred reducing agent, settling decanting...
Wash the gold powder to get the gold shiny per Harold's very professional instructions also paying attention to Lou's solid advice on the chemistry of the gold washing procedures.

I’ve never seen the instructions on Harold’s wash cycle that takes into account gold redissolved in the first HCl wash. Also gold can be redissolved with no Nitric/Nitrates present merely the high valency copper ions in the presence of the Chloride ions from the HCl. Funnily enough Hoke refers to this is you look closely at her stock pot page.

Redissolve the gold powders a second time (third if the first was a recovery operation and not a refining operation).

If you cannot get close to 99% on your recovery then you’re doing something wrong. I often get 99.9% or close on a recovery even from “black goop” and there are a bunch of members including one moderator who can attest to that having seen it first hand. There is no need for “twice refining” unless something has gone awry.

for many nitric is very expensive hard or risky to get or scarce for many... (agreed)
The finely divided gold powder can be dissolved using HCl and sodium hypochlorites (bleach) or some other oxidizers, note bleach is a lot of added water, produces more waste to evaporate later, crates more sodium chloride salts which will saturate or come out of solution as salts in evaporating, consumes more HCl, but here again, everything has its pros and cons and needs to be considered.
Chlorine the oxidizer formed from bleach and HCl is easier to eliminate by time sitting in the warm glow of the sunshine, or with mild heat, no real need to concentrate to salts...

if using aqua regia, it will not take as much nitric acid to put the gold back into the solution it will take less this round as the gold powder is so fine and the surface area is so large it is easier than dissolving larger nuggets or shot...

Using a different reducing agent the second refining to precipitate the gold, helps to get the gold refined to higher purity as one reducing agent will not carry base metal the other would visa versa, choosing different reducing agents for the solution based on the base metals involved and the reducing agent reactions with the base metals...

I probably missed a lot of important details, and am not trying to give all of the details of the processes,

The point is we can still learn from Hoke's book, and by reading the wisdom of Harold (who helped the common man like me Lou, Laser Steve all of us members to be able to learn a skill kept secret from us common man to learn, secrets held in mystery by magicians, sorcerers, and alchemist secret bag, and those who wished to profit from these secrets and did not wish to share the valuable knowledge as us common man then would not need them, secrets held from us since the time the Egyptians made King Tut's death mask, We can study the posts and the things Harold and HOke so unselfishly shared with the forum members to be able to learn a thing or two--no matter how smart we think we are not so smart that we can learn something from the masters who knew their skills and could overcome and do with what they had.

My gut feeling tells me we are daily losing more technology or know-how in this modern world of high technology that we are not as smart as we think we are, we are no smarter than the caveman who could do more than we can with less, we just have a better rock cell phone than Fred Flinstone had that we type jibberish on we call modern communication, we could all learn something from the cavemen who were obviously more intelligent than modern man is today.

I think I’ll just pretend I didn’t read this paragraph and move swiftly on. We wouldn’t have much agreement.

Well I guess I am a little too old fashion, I like evaporating to dissolve gold and I still like to hunt with a bow and arrow, as old fashion as it maybe it is very effective at keeping food on my table and refined gold to bury for hard times.

And we can agree to differ on the evaporation.

But hey this is just my opinion we all have one, yours may be different.

Mine most certainly is and I hope I’ve articulated some of my points in a manner that’s acceptable.

Just my opinion we all have one, yours is different.

Sure Hoke would update her book if she could, She would have no trouble in a modern chemistry lab and would not take her long to be teaching those modern teachers (who really are not as smart as they think they are).

I have to update my book all of the time, Hoke probably would have loved to update her book just a few years after publishing, but basically it would still contain basically the same basic principles true today, true in her day...

Most people in a modern recovery and refining labs would do well to have C.M. Hoke teaching them today.
they will do well to study her book to improve their skills.

The truth is, either one of use is nowhere near as skilled or as knowledgeable in the chemistry and arts as those who blazed the trails before us, if you think you are--your just fooling yourself, and we always can learn a lot from what they have to teach us If you are too smart or think you know better that is not my problem.

Jon, most anything you have learned about recovery or refining you have learned here on the forum from Harold, if not directly, then indirectly from those He taught these skills, and other members here on the forum, including much or most all of which came from Hokes Book, sure we may have tweaked things some, or have some new gadget, but not much is different, there is really very little new when it comes to recovery or refining and chemistry sure something changes a little bit through the centuries, but not many sure merlins magic gold solution may have changed some but it is still the same gold and the same chemistry.

Sure we can work faster, have better industrial glassware pressure vessel, maybe a new or different reducing agent, some new membrane electrolytic cell, maybe some better chemical for those who do not mind wasting acid over wasting time, some thousands of new worthless patents, and maybe a couple that work...
but the bottom line is it is still chemistry, it is still gold, and there ain't many new thrilling breakthroughs it is still the same old chemistry.

I cannot argue boolean logic.

That is my opinion and input, although I feel I am working with a NOT function here.
I am sure without reading your opinion it will be different.
Now let us hear some of the good ole British boolean logic.

What new breakthrough in this chemistry do I not know about Jon, help me understand that explain that to me and you may be able to change my opinion, but as of this point, there ain't no magic and merlin the magician always has some kind of tricks up his sleeve.

With all of the advancements in the diesel engine and its technology and modern changes, new inventions, and improvements, if I had only one person which I could learn from and I had my choice of a modern diesel school with all of the modern equipment computerized tools and new information, Or I had my choice to learn the diesel engine from Rudolf Diesel himself, I would take lessons from Rudolf.
Not that I would learn all of the advances, but I would learn the basics, the most important principles, tapping into the real brains, and skills that everything else about the engine is based on sure I may have to learn about the more modern changes to the fuel injector system but it is the same old principles and mechanics...

If I wished to learn to recover refine these precious metals and I only had one author or member on this forum to read or study under--

My choice is Harold.

If I had the choice of only one book or author--

It will be Hoke's book.

If I could recommend only one member of the forum, that all new members should learn to recover or refine gold or other metals from--

it is not Butcher or anachronism

It is Harold and Hokes,

Luckily we have many many members here I would recommend learning from, some suggesting new more modern methods and others using those good ole tried and true methods, those who had ideas that took techniques from other industries and have incorporated them into recovery industry (Laser Steve) those with special skills in the areas they are interested in and have learned from studying the "Masters Of Old" and the few advances in a better method, and have researched all of the old information and have incorporated some new twist to the technique...

I think Harold's beautiful castle that he built with his old tools, hammer, chisels, and rocks (tools the caveman used) will outlast any modern house you build out of your jigsaw, nailgun and fancy new modern Airless paint gun.

I have not seen many modern builders that would not love to learn from the men who built the pyramids.
I know of no building engineer, architect or firm, that could compare with the technical skill and know-how of those ole masters, I do not see our modern buildings even with all of the advances in technology and know-how, structural materials, lasting as long.

Jon, I do not blindly follow old teachings, I do not follow modern teaching or techniques blindly, but I do learn both and incorporate the best of both, I also have patience when it comes to my gold, I would use the same patience with any of my customers gold, I can refine my gold to any purity I wish, I can also make my own jewelry from it, If I wished to make it a business I would have no trouble delivering a quality product in a reasonable amount of time, but with most anything I do for my customers I spend all of the time I need to ensure I am satisfied and my customers are satisfied with my products.
True I do not refine for profit, that is work, I work for a living and mine and recover and refine gold for myself and my friends for fun, I pull my gold from the god's good perfect earth, and use the principles of the universe the science and physics and methods used by early man and modern man to refine my gold as pure as I can and then I bury my gold back into the earth if some day before I die I may need it, if not then well I do not need gold, Oh I love it and can use it, refine it as well as any.

Sure I can recover and refine gold, starting this morning and have it pure and melted by tomorrow morning if I wish using what I have learned from the Masters like Harold, and C.M. Hoke's book, but I prefer to spend my time, as I prefer, fast or slow it is my time, you spend you how you wish.

Jon, I have done refining for others, although that is not my choice, and I would not wish to profit off another man's gold (that is just how I feel), why do you keep bringing up some notion that if someone does not refine for profit or is not in business somehow inferior to you? or less knowledgable? You may think making money is important, I do not. I just do not share your goals or ideas about making money...

Jon, why do you think I just have grams of gold to refine? I have pounds of my gold buried close to the same in silver with a few grams of the PGM metals, now and more pounds of silver and several ounces of gold not in the hole yet.

Sulfamic acid does basically does the same thing sulfuric acid does and what Hoke taught. Not much new there.

There are a few more points you made that I could respond to and list my thoughts and opinions on, some valid points, some I do not see that way, but all in all, we do not see eye to eye, we do not agree that good and fine, we just see it differently, you do your gold how you wish, and I will work my gold how I want too.
you have your own ideas and I have mine.
We both know where we stand on the issue, and we do not have to agree.

If it makes you feel better Jon I will say you are right I do not know what I am talking about.

Jon you are always going to be right so why should I waste my time discussing anything with you?
When I can be spending my time assisting the members of this forum and friends all over this whole old, modern, world how to become professionals at refining precious metals or to help them find recovery and refine their own gold to whatever purity they wish.

So I will not get into any more long discussions with you on this we obviously do not agree you are right in your eye, and in my eyes, I know that I am right (but willing to listen if you can show me differently), at this point you have failed to convince me of anything except this is not helping other to learn to refine and thus a waste of mine and everyone else's time.

You may come here to stir trouble and love getting into useless debates, but I would rather spend my time learning and helping others do the same, so that is my focus now not to fight the British or their Boolean logic, or spend time chasing them again through the briar patch, ain't no reason to chase it further.

So disagreeing with what you wrote is trying to be right all the time, and it's telling that you then assume I am here to stir trouble or get into useless debates. Wow that's limited in the extreme.

Fine- you carry on your way I'll go mine.

butcher said:
Jon, why do you think I just have grams of gold to refine? I have pounds of my gold buried close to the same in silver with a few grams of the PGM metals, now and more pounds of silver and several ounces of gold not in the hole yet.

I'm sure that the members, led by Kurt who dug deep and donated money to get you a computer in order to continue your good work on here will be exctatic to know of your pounds of gold that are buried.

That was almost six years ago! You really carry a grudge.

I contributed to that as well, and I don't regret it for a second. It was an act of kindness for a friend.

I'm sure if Kurt has a problem with his contribution, he can speak for himself.

If you hate it so much here, why do you keep coming?

Dave

I'm sure that the members, led by Kurt who dug deep and donated money to get you a computer in order to continue your good work on here will be ecstatic to know of your pounds of gold that is buried.

Jon,
I thought it was Geo who led that brigade although it could have been Kurt, I cannot remember but I know whoever led it they were great men with good hearts all of them.

You do not know me or what I have been through in life, You do not know me and you never will. When I had bread and when I did not, when I had a job and could feed my family or when I had to resort to feeding my children road-killed animals I found to see that they hopefully survived, when I almost lost my home over trying to be helpful to a forum member and making a terrible mistake which almost sent me to prison and losing my home over being sued, when I cashed in my retirement to invest it in gold and a rental income, when I had finally been able to work a producing mining claim and when I traded scrap metals for gold or silver or jewelry and dental scrap or mined gold or anything except you finally thought up thing you could say to stir the pot and to start trouble over, well that took you a little while to figure out you are getting slow in yer ole age...

When the very gracious members, of this forum, put their hard-earned money in that pot.

The pot, I was reluctant to accept because of my pride, and because I have never taken or asked anyone for a damned thing in my life, I have worked and struggled to make it on my own since 12 years old, not long after I struggled to feed a family, I or any member of my will not ask anyone for a crumb of bread no matter how hungry we may have been, we put or hands in the dirt and our backs to work, to get our own crumbs of bread.

I then convinced myself my pride is wrong and I should just be grateful and not prideful and accept their precious gift.

And Jon for your information:

Today I am thankful I gave up my pride.

I am glad I accepted the gift from my friends it meant so much to me my family.

I am so very thankful there are still people, who like me and my family, who will sacrifice of themselves, to help others, anyway they can, without selfishly expecting something or anything in return.

I am also thankful for the computer that those forum members donated, it is still doing good and hopefully Helpful as it has made thousands of posts on the forum trying to show my appreciation for their noble deeds.

I still feel I am blessed to have friends that helped me when my computer went bad, and I had no means at the time to fix it or get it fixed, as at the time, I was without work and had a hard time getting work with a slipped disk.

I am truly blessed, and Jon Thank you for reminding me how truly blessed I am to have known the good members of this forum.

And I am blessed today to have a modest home on 6 acres of land (No Jon, my gold is not buried on my land so forget it) in the beautiful woods in Oregon, with this fantastic gold mining area to explore, rental property, and my government social security retirement check, and be able to thank the members of this forum for the gift that was so helpful when I was not doing as well.

Jon, I can go on and on but why you're talking out your --------------you know how to fill in the blank, this is not the first time you have done it.

Jon at this moment, I do feel sorry for you that you have to sink so low as to fill the forum with this kind of bull, so hopefully, you can stir up some kind of stink.

My friend, you start that, and before you know it you are the only one with that on yer face and the only one that smells like it.

Jon, I hope you can find the blessings in life and have the friends that I have had,
Friends who will help set you straight when yer lost on that cold crooked road, tell you when yer wrong and point you to a better direction, who would take out of their pocket to help you get a computer and be a member on it, slap you in the face when you're in some drunken mental stupor live life hard.
I believe you could have many (not just people you may call a friend that supports yer ego or wants something...), but those true friends in life that as rare as they are the ones you are thankful, and blessed to know them who made a good impact on life and hell bearable.
I believe you could have many many more friends than I do (You have a better personality and are a good guy when your not playing this game and listening to your heart and doing what you know there to be right.

I wish to thank every forum member (not just those that put their money down the drain for a computer when I so desperately could use one), all of the members including you Jon for the contributions they gave to this forum and its members, we are a community of brothers Yea we may fight and throw a few punches but it has been a family for me, we all have worked hard to help each other and for that this forum has not only been a blessing for me, but also for every one of us, we can truly make a difference in this world for good and this forum and its members have proven that.

Thanks to all
And A Special Thank You to the fantastic unselfish forum members of this forum who unselfishly give of themselves to help another forum member when he needs a Lil hand.

Anyone of the member who donated for that computer back then, who wishes to get their money back for it, I will gladly double that amount in return, and still thank you for the gracious gift.

Jon, I hope you find your blessings too, and listen to your heart.
Thanks again

I am not a rich man and have been poor and struggled most of my life, but now at 63yr I can sit back and relax (at least today unless something comes along in the future to throw me another punch).

I put some of my hard-earned retirement into gold and added to the little I mined or got recovering metal from scrap others regarded as trash, (enough to feed my wife for a year) if hard times come, she or I do not get sick and have to pay a hospital bill, or die soon.... our pounds of gold may not be much savings if we had it in the bank, but thanks to what I have learned here on the forum from my friends, today I am able to have what I do.

Maybe I cannot brag about my wealth.
I can brag I am the luckiest man in the world, partly due to the forum and every one of its members.

Latest posts

Back