I Need Dr. Poe!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anachronism said:
Thread doesn't add up guys.

After reading it again this morning, with some sleep and coffee in me. You are correct, Jon. It doesn't.

But, after my humble pie yesterday, the benefit of the doubt is in order, eh? :)

I would love to see pictures and hear all about this material the OP is running, but Lou was most likely right all along.(per usual)

After reading Lila's latest posts, and after only one cup of coffee, I am now leaning towards Lou's opinion.

At least the members have given her a place to start understanding what she is doing.

Lila, I want to know what your original feedstock was. I also want to know the precise procedures you used prior to precipitation. Please be very descriptive, leaving nothing out, include all tests and results.

Also, before experimenting, I always write up expected reactions and expected results prior to beginning. By doing this, if I get an unexpected reaction or result, I can halt the experiment until I understand what just happened.

As suggested by several members in the above posts, please discard ALL information obtained through any posts, blogs, websites, etc., that may have come from Dr Poe. On this forum, and others, he was a constant source of information that could not be independently verified or replicated. Whether intentional or not, Dr Poe proved himself, in my opinion, to be a fraud and charlatan.

Dr Poe was a master of misinformation, made plausible by a sprinkling of truth. I think the way we describe it today is fake news!

Maybe Poe is working at the new and remodeled EPA!

solar_plasma said:
I guess it's a troll, that hasn't been here for the first time.
Lila Black said:
you guys are hilarious
you always make me laugh :)
She's been a member since 24 April, but we "always" make her laugh? To quote a congressman, that post seems awfully familiar.

Topher_osAUrus said:
But, after my humble pie yesterday, the benefit of the doubt is in order, eh? :)
I've eaten plenty of humble pie over the years. It's not that bad. I've had a lot of things leave a worse taste in my mouth.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
I've eaten plenty of humble pie over the years. It's not that bad. I've had a lot of things leave a worse taste in my mouth.

Dave

:mrgreen:

Simply invoking the name of Poe cast you in a bad light. It would have benefited you much more to simply have asked about colloids and how to deal with them without bringing him into it. He was literally laughed off the forum and his students pop up from time to time and try to revive some of his old arguments. They are quickly shot down. No one knows what your motives were for coming here and asking how to contact Poe. There are still those among us that bristles with the mention of his name. If you have questions about anything to do with precious metals, there is someone or a few someones here that can help. Do try to keep your personal feelings out of it. Simply stating your opinion may not be enough to get one banned but it can restrict the level of effort some members may put in to trying to help you out. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

You can get out of the box by asking structured questions that actually resemble legitimate scientific inquiry and someone will be able to help you--I myself would be happy to help if you are receptive to help from people who are not Dr. Poe. On the flip side, you can't get out of the box if you want to claim how you access the forum all the time, read all our posts, but can't be bothered to find Dr. Poe's email address on this forum just like I did within 10 seconds of searching for it. Then you sound like either a lazy person who deserves no help, or a shill/acolyte of the erstwhile Professor of All things precious metals. Whether or not that email address still goes to the armchair speculator extraordinaire is beyond me. I acknowlledge that Poe was right in somethings he said, but hugely ignorant in some areas--and in thoses weak areas his hubris and pride made me look humble ( :!: ).

Unlike Poe, you freely admit you have limited knowledge of science. Many members here do. You need to have a working knowledge of the basic lingo/jargon to be able to effectively communicate your question in a readily answerable form. If you can't do that, then you need to be prepared to not be answered or get answers you do not like, especially when you're asking to an ex-member whose answers were typically as cryptic and convoluted as they were often nonsensical.

I spent once 8 months on a project of preparing and characterizing gold nanoparticles (from 10 nm-100 nm clusters), the gamut of colors. I have more than a rudimentary knowledge of how colloids work and how they are made and broken, and in particular those of gold and the precious metals, having now had to make colloidal precious metals for commercial applications in catalysis for some 5 years, and destroy colloidal dispersions for the better part of 11 years of doing this as my one and only source of income.

If you want to start a thread where meaningful discussion is had where you might get your questions answered and other members themselves learn something, by all means, start the thread.

If you want to disappear from the forum, ask again, and we can make it happen.

Just a bit of perspective....

I was not around (member) when poe was... I have however read literally the entire site...

I don't post a lot mainly because I tend to read while standing in my workspace waiting for something to complete...

...And because while I have deep chemistry knowledge, it is O-chem, not IO... Specifically in BioChem. With that said I don't bother saying a lot of things mainly because I just don't want the hassle of hearing a few of the folks on hear preaching from the mountain of how knowledgeable they are and how if you have not done (insert personal preference for process here) you should not speak.

With that said, I am here to add a little perspective. I got out of school in the '80's took a long break and went back for my MS in the '00's. I was a bit older than most the students and had a successful military career in the middle of it.

The thing I noticed the most was the learning curve based on the nature of the teachers.

A lot of people do not express questions well, and they are prone to seek knowledge from folks that have initials after their name. Why? because that is what the current culture teaches. I learned more from Tech's, mechanics etc than I ever learned while spending a tonne of money on education. However there were specific things that time at Uni taught me...

Firstly is that even if you are super knowey in a field, if you act like a douchebag your ability to hand on that knowledge is severely limited.

Secondly, if you feel your knowledge makes you superior then you are acting like an idiot. Knowledge replaces ignorance and the smart people of the world really put a lot of effort into taming ignorance wherever possible (I can not claim to be all that smart, but I try and do my best to help).

Lastly, I want to hand kudos to those whose response was to point out options (I am a nerd so search bars are my friend, not everyone is though) and even more so to the folks who said "Hey, i have knowledge, but help me help you".

Now with that all said, go ahead and flame on if you have the urge, but remember. The more you growl in anger the less intelligent you tend to come across.

--L

P.S. I know the process to hit colloidals however not well enough in my opinion to offer teaching, the question that leaps to mind is... What is the OP's actual goal?

PPS... Oh, and as an academic with Credentials, Poe appears to be the average academic with a size 2 soul and a size 12 ego... Who feels that he is write due to the initials behind his name. Saying things like "you don't belong here" makes the poster seem like the same type personality simply lacking the initials that make them sound like an important Dbag...

Fireflymetals, lots of flaming - in fact that's what you criticize others for, now you do it yourself.

Instead of using your time for flaming the posters, you could have grasp the nettle to show us, how to do it right, how to help or teach anything to someone, who does not want to do any efford to learn. Really, I am always open for learning how to do better, especially when it comes to didactics and how to open up people's mind. Come on. Everybody can talk. Perform!

Bjorn that's about as flaming as a damp match mate. :)

That given I do agree with your sentiment about less talking more performing. :D

Jon

In the time period i grew up in flaming had a different meaning! :mrgreen:

upcyclist said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
:lol:

I just want to know if im one of the dbag's or guys getting an internet kudos. :twisted:
If you have to ask.... :lol: :wink:
:lol:
I HAD to ask... Mainly because I gave an answer, but I wasn't really overly kind about it though (after reading it again..)
So me asking was more "satisfaction of curiosity" than anything.
But,...If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back