I need help about smelting processes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Behnam2070

Hello friends
I want to start refining by smelting Like a smelting video in Thailand that a friend has already uploaded
I have a question about this method
If you guide us, you have a big favor on my side
I use silver borax lead and sodium carbonate
Now What kind of crucible do you think I can use to keep the crucible from getting damaged and not responding? Cast iron or graphite or steel
(I saw somewhere that Borax would produce carbide with graphite and cause it to break down.)

And when should I add lead and silver to the materials in the crucible?
Tnx

Use silicon carbide crucibles . Check if you have Morgan crucibles in your country . This is what we use .

You should add the lead and silver when your smelt is fluid . lead will start to evaporate at high temperatures . Make sure you have all the pollution control systems installed .

Regards,
Gaurav

gaurav_347 said:
Use silicon carbide crucibles . Check if you have Morgan crucibles in your country . This is what we use .

You should add the lead and silver when your smelt is fluid . lead will start to evaporate at high temperatures . Make sure you have all the pollution control systems installed .

Regards,
Gaurav

Thank you very much for your help
Do you also use borax and sodium carbonate as a charge?

Yes we use soda ash, borax, fluorspar and a little ammonium nitrate as our basic flux mix. We add more borax and soda ash if the smelt is not fluid enough.

gaurav_347 said:
Yes we use soda ash, borax, fluorspar and a little ammonium nitrate as our basic flux mix. We add more borax and soda ash if the smelt is not fluid enough.

How many times do you use a crucible?
I mean, given that a crucible is going to break down after a while and needs to be replaced, I have to know if it's worth buying.

It depends on various factors how long a crucible will last. Morgan crucibles for us averages between 40-50 smelts .

Back