I think im under surveillance.....

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im 98% sure im being watched by some agency... any suggestions? i have a acid spill kit, everything is in proper storage containers.. chemical fire extinguisher... I know the warrant deal.... my county has a permit but that's for 5000lbs+ a month... i live in a small town and get all my acids and chemicals locally... Also the chief of police <----(township) doesnt like me.... just want to make sure i can laugh at him when they come knocking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As long as you are within your rights and following the laws why worry about it?

It helps when government agents come to your lab to have it in order.

It helps to have a better understanding of the chemistry involved than the federal agents that wake you from sleep, a better understanding of the dangers to yourself and others and the environment than the DEQ agents who come to investigate, a better understanding of the law than the armed officers and agents.

Be working within your legal rights, with chemistry and chemicals in a legal and environmentally safe manner.
Have MSDS on file and have chemicals stored properly, or in safe conditions when the lab is inspected.

It is helpful not to have fumes of chemicals or metals in your home, soils around the lab when tested, or where they should not be, the DEQ agents used machines which sniffed for traces of mercury and other chemicals and fumes when they searched my lab, storage sheds, barn, well house, chicken coop, and my home.

It is helpful if they cannot hang anything on you-- if they can be sure they can and will try to hang you.

Educate yourself, work within the law, and work safely.
Do not trust others to know the laws or to let them tell you what is legal, educate yourself, your friend can be wrong.
Do not think you know, educate yourself to find out how much you did not know of what you thought you knew.

PS it is helpful to be respectful and helpful to the officers inspecting you or watching you.

The local News is not very helpful when they report that you have guns and you do not like cops, the officers seem to show up heavily armed as they pile out of the black SUV's before the sun comes up to raid your home.

PS do not ship any mercury or do anything with the chemicals deemed illegal, I found out the hard way it was illegal to ship mercury.

If only I had educated myself I would have saved myself from being sued for a hundred thousand dollars by UPS lawyers, and the risk of spending my golden years in prison, Thank goodness the officials chose not to prosecute and I still maintain my freedom.

I've been under surveillance for a long time. Code enforcement officers have made a career of it. At first, it used to bother me, now it's just entertainment.

I suppose the other way to view it is you have an armed security detail to keep thieves at bay...

This is why I named my WI FI. FBI Surveillance van # 6.

NOBODY gets free WI FI from me!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What state? You could be "Conditionally Exempt". Probably some neighbor snitching on you thinking and telling the cops you might be making Meth.

anachronism said:
Smack said:
Look up the E-Waste Regulations in your state.

I'd have done that first. But hey.

I did look them up... thats what i said in my original post about the Pennsylvania permit 5000+ pounds a month... I think it was just about storage of material.... not the whole recovering aspect of it...(I'am not even close to that) I dont think it's code enforcement because hes a friend of a family member. I believe it's more towards the "Breaking Bad" theory. I've decided to build a fume hood, and make a msds/emergency/knowledge manual's

17freeliberty76 said:
I've decided to build a fume hood, and make a msds/emergency/knowledge manual's

Thats all fine and dandy & yes you should have that all in place - but having that stuff is not what will keep you out of trouble

What will get you into trouble is (1) proper storage of your chemicals - because the chemicals them selves (both acids & "strong" base's) are first & foremost corrosive but also toxic (lesser concern) so "proper" storage is important - including during transport --- Example - transporting a gallon of nitric likely wont get you in trouble - but transporting a 15 gallon (or bigger) drum of nitric that is not properly secured & without a sign on your truck indicating you are transporting corrosive chems can - & as well in your lab the chems need to be stored so if they leak or spill they will catch & "contain the leak/spill

(2) your "waste" solutions - not only are they corrosive - but more important - once you have metals dissolved in them they are now considered TOXIC - so not only do you need to show they will be contained in the event of leaks/spills - but also "proper" treatment - for disposal - of that waste - & that concerns "both" the solids & the treated solution

Depending on the "state" of the solids (hydroxide/carbonate/metal) &/or type of metal (iron/copper/lead etc.) some can go to the landfill - others CAN NOT --- Example - iron hydroxide (& "some others) can go to the landfill - copper lead (& other) hydroxides can not - copper metal can be melted & sent to the scrap yard - mercury in any form is hazardous

Solutions - different metals drop out &/or go into solution at different Ph levels - so its not as simple as adjust Ph to 7 - filter & dump --- you have to adjust Ph to "insure" all metal are dropped & filtered before dumping

So - you need to show that your handling & storage of chems is done in a responsible manner - & as well that the handling/treatment of your waste is being done properly

Volume/level plays a roll here as well - if you working on a (hobby) level of 5 gallon buckets & can show the above you are probably OK - on the other hand if you have (multiple) 55 gallon drums of waste hanging out you will need permits/license & that your waste is being tested/handled by a waste management company

Kurt

If you're already under surveillance, they already probably have an idea what you're doing. You could call up the local EPA/waste office and talk with them about the requirements for what you're doing. I have a good relationship with the local industrial waste water agency (for my job) and I make sure to call them every few months just to chat and keep a good rapport. We accidentally violated one of the pH discharge limits a few years ago when they were testing and because we have a good rapport and they know we are making a good faith effort, the penalty was to just increase the reporting we do. Showing good faith and not trying to purposefully hide anything from them goes a LONG way.

Back