I'm planning to go to a pawn shop and buy a 1 ounce gold bar 24k. What method could I use to test if it isn't fake

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsaacUS

Generally pawn shops take gold as is. If the seller has a certificate then they take the gold. This is why I want to make sure I'm buying real gold. I've bought a 1 ounce bar before at my buddy's shop. He assured me it was real because he dissolves n melts his gold and re-stocks it. He's gone now and I need some gold at a bargain price.

What are some quick simple tests I could do without ruining the gold before I purchase it

Look and feel should be enough if you know what you are doing.
Bargain price be aware then as gold is worth the same everywhere :roll:

I guess it depends on what you're calling bargain...If you can find bargain gold from a pawn shop more power to you. Where I'm from I think I had hit up every pawnshop (and there was a lot of them) I could find. Most turned away, because their refiners and buyers were already paying close to spot for their lots. I.e. they already know what they have...
I occasionally got some nice junk silver from a few coin shops and flipped a profit for something that way.
Like Nick said look and feel, maybe even bring your own pocket scale and a magnet.

If I wanted to invest in gold I would start with U.S. gold coins (just because they are what I know). Next I would look up a few locals that I have known to be in the business of coins and/or precious metal buying and selling, and pay them a visit with the same question you ask. You can gain first hand knowledge of testing and such this way. While there you may find a bargain or two as well.

I hate to put down on pawn shops but generally they are not the place I look for gold or silver. I do buy quite a bit of other stuff from them on occasion.

If I had little to no knowledge of testing then I would look for a higher ended buyer/seller and see what they had.

Latest posts

Back