Incinerated IC Chips Base Metals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

Saddiq NG

Hello members of this Great forum, I recently switched my IC Chips gold recovery approach from wet ashing to Incineration with torch after finding out that wet ashing is not recommended here.

When I was using wet ashing before changing, I make use of nitric acid to dissolve the exposed base metals in the IC chips and they used to dissolve completely leaving no base metals behind.

After switching to Incineration however, the exposed base metals dissolved only partially in the nitric acid, leaving behind other undissolved base metals. I even heated the nitric acid to improve the reaction but still the base metals did not dissolved.

Did anybody had similar experience? What could be the reason why some of the base metals will resist the nitric acid attack. Any advice, explanation, instruction or direction will be appreciated.

I will post some pictures when I get back to my Lab. Thank You

Shark

Wet ashing is for working with a small amount of materials. It was never intended to be a large scale method of recovery. It is to dangerous without proper equipment and facilities.

After switching to Incineration however, the exposed base metals dissolved only partially in the nitric acid, leaving behind other undissolved base metals. I even heated the nitric acid to improve the reaction but still the base metals did not dissolved
Try hydrochloric instead of nitric. Choosing the right acid for the job is as important as choosing the right process in refining.