Information wants to be free

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

Topher_osAUrus

Hi @Topher_osAUrus
I do feel a bit hesitant with a few of the posters here, but I'm working on understanding your point of view and only viewing you as a very concerned member.

And someone did go off, but by PM.
The 2 year plan? I see it as a just going forward plan. In two years, we hope to have the forum being a good place for members, having a few ads that are shown mostly to logged out. We have a Supporting Membership which is purely voluntary, and members can still post, reply and have private messages if they do not become a Supporting Member. The financials are a long term outlook. And then the owner (Admin) will not make a killing.

Who is Poe? The only one I know wrote "The Raven" and such things.
I appreciate the response, and if your word is bond, then I dont see anything but the forum continuing as usual. Again, I only speak for myself, though.

However, I still find it a bit curious that the business name, and mysterious man admin are an enigma.

Yea, i know, internet, anonymity, whatever.

Tit for tat?
Want to know me? Christopher Lankford Kingman Kansas. Ive done PLENTY of terrible things in my past (can maybe look it up, i dont know, never googled myself) , been a lonnng time since then, and have been living a much much more honorable life since waking up and getting my shit together. I can see that you have a bit of reservation putting that info out there, because of us concerned citizens ...but, you're a business, no? Dont businesses want the clout of their past and present endeavors? Maybe to show those in current and future deals can rest assured that the show will go on..

...and Poe.. well.. search him on here.

While it shouldnt be a great deal, that is kindof one more point of contention. The history of this forum lives in this accumulation of threads and posts. Its probably just me, but I feel that is of importance, and should be to the higher ups in charge too...Angie...admin...to whom it may concern... ...because you never know when that past will once again become relevant. Whether its seeing a ghost from the past come back and post after years of hiatus, good or bad., ...or if its a banned villain returning to salt the ground in which we tend to grow on. It matters.
...hopefully.

I dont think I'm that difficult to get along with, or to please. I have asked for so little. ...and its something that i am sure 99% of the hardened members would have no issue with it being asked of them..
"A man who speaks honestly, has nothing to hide"

butcher

Staff member
I was never for advertisements and such on the forum, or using it to line pockets, or to profit business, it started off free, and free of advertising and such, but eventually the dollar or the desire need for it changed all that.

Andrew, I can understand some of what your saying, or your concerns, but basically it is above my head, and I do not understand enough yet to make any formulations in my own head.

Please bring your concerns in a question form so that we can bring up, and get the answers, so we can all get better informed.

At this point, I see too much speculation out there, to target anything.

I do not think we need any more fuel on the fire its been too hot in here as it is.

Truth will come out and expose itself, maybe it is not what we thought.

Nugget

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Topher_osAUrus / Christopher I'm in Alabama. And I love to go to a small place in TN that has a get off the world feel. No one lives there, but the owners have given me permission to be there and take photos. You can sit there and not hear anything man-made. Just the wind and the birds.

401564_332590123419500_610445350_n.jpg

I prefer rose gold and Black Hills gold for jewelry. I've only looked for gold dust casually in a Colorado Mountain stream and without proper equipment. I was just looking for the sparkle in the tiny sand and gravel. I did live in the Denver area for 7 years. I loved the Rockies but could not afford it after a divorce way back when.
My hobbies are crocheting, sewing, and I was learning to fly and have 5 hours solo time. I'm an almost inactive ham radio operator with an Advanced Class license. I grew up with ham radio as Dad was a ham all my life.

butcher

Staff member
That looks the house I grew up in in Kentucky, except the house in your picture seems to have better doors and windows, a better roof, and electricity, and it probably has running water, I do not see an outhouse.

Where are all of the hills and the forest in that picture? That doesn't look like home without them.

Angie you were probably just seeing fools gold, pyrite, stick around here and we will have you out there panning real gold.

Topher_osAUrus

@Topher_osAUrus / Christopher I'm in Alabama. And I love to go to a small place in TN that has a get off the world feel. No one lives there, but the owners have given me permission to be there and take photos. You can sit there and not hear anything man-made. Just the wind and the birds.

View attachment 46913

I prefer rose gold and Black Hills gold for jewelry. I've only looked for gold dust casually in a Colorado Mountain stream and without proper equipment. I was just looking for the sparkle in the tiny sand and gravel. I did live in the Denver area for 7 years. I loved the Rockies but could not afford it after a divorce way back when.
My hobbies are crocheting, sewing, and I was learning to fly and have 5 hours solo time. I'm an almost inactive ham radio operator with an Advanced Class license. I grew up with ham radio as Dad was a ham all my life.
Ok. You had me at ham.

cosmetal

Good day @cosmetal. I'll try to start answering some questions with you. The uncivilized was in PM. But that is over and was not you, so that is okay.
And I waited a day too long in doing any introduction as I was still expecting Jean/Noxx to do so since he had done a brief introduction in mod forum.
I appreciate the smile and I lived in Sacramento at one time. I was born at Travis AFB.

I have only been doing settings and answering mods for a few days as I was watching and learning more.
Hello, @Angie.

Nice to meet you . . .

Peace, health, and truth.

James

patnor1011

So it seems people are happy with
-not having access to some information (access to private forum for paying members)
-not being able to edit their own posts after just few hours of posting it
-not being able to freely upload files and pictures
-not being able to post for sale ads
-not being able to turn off ads or use PM function (although PM was curtailed by Noxx previously where a lot of people had to delete hundreds of PM from way ago to be able to receive new one)
unless they pay...

I am not. This is far from what this place used to be and I have to say that a lot of people will be hesitant to share new stuff as freely as they did before. I know I am not willing to do so.
Simply because this place changed and at the end of the day it seems it is all about the money.
Notion that current owners are some benevolent entity looking just to preserve information and help struggling forums while "they may make some little money some day in future" is frankly ridiculous.
We built something here and it is lost now. That spirit what once drove this place to a speed is gone. It was losing momentum for some time but this was the last nail to a coffin of innovation here.
It is that simple.

justinhcase

-not having access to some information (access to private forum for paying members)
-not being able to turn off ads or use PM function (although PM was curtailed by Noxx previously where a lot of people had to delete hundreds of PM from way ago to be able to receive new one)
unless they pay...

I am not. This is far from what this place used to be and I have to say that a lot of people will be hesitant to share new stuff as freely as they did before. I know I am not willing to do so.
Simply because this place changed and at the end of the day it seems it is all about the money.
Notion that current owners are some benevolent entity looking just to preserve information and help struggling forums while "they may make some little money some day in future" is frankly ridiculous.
We built something here and it is lost now. That spirit what once drove this place to a speed is gone. It was losing momentum for some time but this was the last nail to a coffin of innovation here.
It is that simple.
How does the way any of the forums are managed really affect us?
We are all refiners of some sort, and refiners help each other.
We have done this for thousands of years before the internet was even invented.
In fact it was the collaboration of similar individuals that has brought the modern age of understanding about.
Yet we let our more primitive inclinations disrupt this creative flow.
If you do work of worth, that should be its own reward.
The need to show off every little bit of metal you happen to come across is of little value except to bolster one's own ego.
Sadly this is all quite a well-known and documented phenomenon.
By definition, if you are successful in finding gold in this society, you are quite effective and on the high end of your local social structure.
Then you bring hundreds if not thousands of characters together in one place who are coming up to and in the alpha section of society, and you expect smooth sailing.
Human history has never been clean or particularly pleasant, but if we work diligently we can still extract some value from the affray.

Last edited:

FrugalRefiner

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
unless they pay...
Pat, I appreciate your concerns. I guess we'll have to see if they develop.

I'm not aware that any private forums have been established for paying members. I understand it's been mentioned, but I haven't seen it yet.

I'm not sure how the editing limit is set up. Perhaps we can work with the new team to change the current restriction. What would you feel would be reasonable? We've all seen the devastation that can be caused when a member like gustavus/rusty gets a burr under his saddle and goes back and deletes all their posts.

I can freely upload files and pictures. Are you having a problem with that?

We can all still make posts in the For Sale or Trade section.

All members can turn off ads. See the instructions in the link at the top of the page.

The PMs/conversations did not transfer smoothly to the new software. We've been working with the new team on this in the moderators forum.

Perhaps you will be right in all your concerns. I'm just not seeing it yet.

Dave

4metals

Staff member
Justincase said;

That is a wonderful concept and may hold true for a knitting forum, but GRF is unique because in the refining field, it has always been a tight lipped industry. With the possible exception of Hokes book published long ago, the majority of the textbooks were concerning the analytical end of the industry and not the recovery end. It made sense because being one of a few refiners knowing how to do a specific technique put you in a position to earn more income or gain a larger percentage of the available business. I have a degree in chemistry but my refining knowledge did not come from refiners helping refiners before this forum popped up. I think it is important in this transition of the forum to recognize that.

Think about it, Noxx started this forum for a reason, he was a student and had an interest in learning to refine for both personal reasons concerning his major in college and for supplemental income by operating a small refining operation at a time when the refining industry started to burst out. And what grew from the humble beginnings is the forum we have now.

Maybe we should consider how a forum makes it’s money to pay for server space and all of the side bar necessities of running a forum. The primary answer about how all of this works (actually how the internet itself is funded) is by advertising. Try to look at a video on the weather channel without having to see a 30 second commercial just to see a short video clip. It seems annoying so you either pay for premium viewing without commercials or you deal with it and watch the ads.

The difference is here we have targeted information which we place value on which is shared freely between our members. Try to find that information elsewhere on the internet. You can go to You Tube and for the “free” videos you get to watch ads before your chosen viewing. But one thing we do here incredibly well is tear down the secrecy and expose the frauds. When a topic is thoroughly discussed here you can be sure the methods will either be viable or they will be torn down and exposed for any mistakes. Yet when ads pop up here on the forum we seem to take it as an affront to our freedom, or the freedom granted by Noxx even though there were ads before the new owners.

I’m my opinion the real value here is the threads that exist here and our ability to access that for our own benefit. I believe the new owner is trying to maintain that with the new forum software and since it is new and more secure, we are now seeing bumps in the road. I believe these will be worked out.

The only threat to this forum as I see it is if the ad revenue drops off to the point where it costs more to run than it generates. Think about this the next time you patiently wait for an ad to finish on You Tube before you watch a video that may be totally misleading. Then you can come here and get a thread going to see just how truthful the video actually is. Last I saw ads here don’t take over your device and play for 30 seconds before you can see or post what you want. They are easily ignored.

Please try to remember that here we actually have refiners helping refiners. And in the real world that is still rare. We need to recognize what we have here and work towards it’s continued success.

justinhcase

Justincase said;

That is a wonderful concept and may hold true for a knitting forum, but GRF is unique because in the refining field, it has always been a tight lipped industry. With the possible exception of Hokes book published long ago, the majority of the textbooks were concerning the analytical end of the industry and not the recovery end. It made sense because being one of a few refiners knowing how to do a specific technique put you in a position to earn more income or gain a larger percentage of the available business. I have a degree in chemistry but my refining knowledge did not come from refiners helping refiners before this forum popped up. I think it is important in this transition of the forum to recognize that.
I think to begin with, secrecy was quite important because so few understood any of the basics we take for granted to day.
Ridicule was not simply unkind compositions on a screen, they would literally drag you out of your home and burn you at the stake after torturing a confession from you to do with Satan worshipping.
Despite the dangers to personal safety, many still did try and ply a trade in Alchemy.
Quite a unique position, needing to promote and disperse ideas while being hunted for doing so.
How could a trade that evolved from a group of delusional individuals promising to produce gold from base matter while for the most part having to hide their activity, not retain some interesting quirks?
The modern-day version of proprietary methods may be true, but being secret, I have never seen any evidence of their existence and there is always more than one way to skin a ferret.
It amazes me that through such a long and twisted story we have managed to come to our present understanding of matter.

Last edited:

nickvc

Until very recently the main recovery method used by large refiners was the Miller Process, patented in 1867, this was held as a very secret and dangerous process until it was exposed in full on here maybe 10 years ago, reverse AR was never mentioned until even more recently and I could mention a few more processes i know of which are not discussed even here.
This forum has earned its place by revealing many recovery methods which really is the art to successful refining many times over, especially with e scrap or low value by volume scrap.
To think there are no secrets is been naive , there has been and I’m sure there is and will be but those are proprietary processes and methods that earn good returns for those in the know.
Do not underestimate the knowledge held on here or the fact it has been shared with others because before the forum you either learnt from someone else or muddled through hoping for success .

FrugalRefiner

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
unless they pay...
I know the list above, from the "Account upgrades" available to members, caused a lot of concern following Noxx's sale of the forum. The moderators have been working with the new team on a lot of issues, including this list. It was cut and pasted from another forum run by the new owners.

Following is the revised version:
Here at Gold Refining Forum we strive to provide a friendly and technical oriented community with limited advertising that supports the free exchange of information on the recovery and refining of precious metals. We rely on this program to keep the lights on and highly appreciate your support!

Gold Refining Forum Supporting Membership Benefits

• Recognition of your Supporting Member status
  • The ability to post in Classifieds without waiting,
  • Longer self editing time.
  • The satisfaction that you are supporting Gold Refining Forum's future as a library of knowledge and community.
Notice that many of the items on the original list have been removed. No private forums, no limits on files, picture uploads, or PMs. The restriction on the ability to post in "Classifieds" without waiting only applies to new members. It helps keep the spammers under control by preventing a new member from joining, then immediately posting for sale listings of their chests of gold nuggets.

There is a 24 hour time limit on self editing posts. Remember how threads have been ruined in the past when a few members have gotten upset and gone back and deleted many of their posts. The time limit prevents that. If a member finds their post needs to be edited after this time limit, they can contact a moderator who can edit their post for them.

Dave

lazersteve

Staff member
Somehow I'm no longer a moderator since the sale. I find that humorous to say the least since I was the first member assigned moderator statis when Noxx started the forum...my how times have changed.

Steve

FrugalRefiner

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steve, I'm looking at your post right now, and it says you're a Staff member and a Moderator. Let me know what problems you're having and we'll get it fixed.

Dave

kurtak

Hi All

As you all know I have not been posting on the forum for a couple month now - just been VERY busy with other things going on in my life - in fact so busy that I would often go days without even logging on & then only to see where the price of PMs were at (Kitco price feed)

At one point I had not logged on for about a week & then when I did it had "suddenly" become a "new forum" or should I say "sold out" to new ownership &/or management which IMO is not all that big of a deal as IMO Noxx did what he felt he needed to do due to changes in his own life causing him to become uninvolved in/on the forum he started so MANY years ago now --- A forum that soon became "the worlds" VERY BEST source of information about the recovery & refining of PMs

Had it not been for this forum I would not have had something like 12 years of successfully making "a living" refining PMs (& still doing it as a hobby) Something like 14 years ago I first came to this forum as a student & the first couple (as a student) I had the good fortune to learn from some of the worlds absolute finest in the art of refining & because of their teaching "for free" it became an obligation of mine to "teach" others what was so kindly & freely taught to me by so many "masters" in this business/art

So - at least in my mind - the problem is not that Noxx sold the forum &/or who bought the forum

The real problem is that the new owner(s) did not buy it because of their own interest in refining PMs (& therefore little or NO understanding of refining) but rather it was bought as a capital investment to profit off of the simple existence of the forum - rather then the "importance" of the content posted on this forum

So in taking over (buying) the forum they also did a complete change in the structure of the forum - which may work fine if you are discussing knitting, sewing, politics, religion etc. etc. etc.

Angie - changes that have been made in the structure of this forum that are important because of the content of the information provided on this forum

But first - you need to understand - that what we do &/or discuss on this forum can &/or is consists of some VERY dangerous processes - even health/life threating processes (unlike other forums) we work with chemicals &/or processes that are toxic &/or hazardous

so it is IMPORTANT that information is readably available, as complete as possible &/or easy to search - which used to be true but under the forums new structure is no longer true

Example; - I just looked at some of my old post's - wherein - when explaining a process I provided links to more info about the process --- those links now no longer work --- therefore the information is no longer "complete" which in turn means information about doing this safely is also now incomplete because the links of "important info no longer work --- THOSE LINK ARE IMPORTANT - what happened to them - can they be fixed

searches - used to be simple - now I can't even figure it out --- I just went to "my profile" & search my old posting for info I posted about contact points so I could provide a link (in another thread) I couldn't even figure out how to search my own old postings --- I used to be able to click on "my profile" - click on "my post" type in a search word (like points) then maybe refine that search with another key word - find my old post & link it to a new post in a new thread --- now I get a can't find (or something like that) message

Ether all my old postings are gone or ????

And that is just 2 problems I have found in the last 2 days being back to the forum ?????

Kurt

Last edited:

FrugalRefiner

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey "Kury", yes thing have changed. But all your posts are still here. I have updated a lot of the posts in my Tips thread, including the search function. It's different, but not that different. Take a look at my post there and if there are still tings you don't understand, let me know and I'll try to help.

If you find links that no longer work, it's probably due to the fact that the new software supports the secure "https" standard, where the old forum was just "http". That has caused a lot of links to no longer work. If anyone finds links that no longer work, please just let me know and I'll fix them. I've fixed a lot of them already, but it will take me a long time to go through the whole forum to find them all.

Now we can all continue to bitch about what has changed and be part of the problem, or we can work together to fix them and be part of the solution. I hate to be so abrupt, especially to you my friend, but you have no idea how much work the "old" team has put in along with the "new" team to keep this place the valuable resource it has been.

Yes, it has changed. And yet, it is the same valuable forum it has always been. All the information is still here. Consider how new members have felt over the years when they come here and ask a question and are told "Just search the forum. Everything you want to know has already been discussed". Now we're all faced with learning the new software, and we're all a little bit lost just like the newbs are when they first arrive.

Dave

Last edited:

silver1

Now we can all continue to bitch about what has changed and be part of the problem, or we can work together to fix them and be part of the solution. I hate to be so abrupt, especially to you my friend, but you have no idea how much work the "old" team has put in along with the "new" team to keep this place the valuable resource it has been.

Dave

Don't ask questions! That's the wrong thing to do i have discovered. I regestered here a few days ago and ask why i could edit my old post. This Mod was an "A" hole in his reply. He didn't try to help, he just wanted to be a clown on me and proceeded to tell me how i could have added it to my new post instead of the old one. I don't think i'll be participating much when this is the learning environment. Shut up and quit bitching seems to be the normal around here.

galenrog

Cool your jets. There are a lot of things that have changed with new owners, new software, and new format.

Dave was right to tell you you could have simply put the info in a new post. Editing rules have changed.

Time for more coffee.

silver1

Cool your jets. There are a lot of things that have changed with new owners, new software, and new format.

Dave was right to tell you you could have simply put the info in a new post. Editing rules have changed.

Time for more coffee.
If you say there buddy!

Latest posts