Information wants to be free

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

butcher

Staff member
We have worked too hard to go that direction, we should all be working the same direction, continuing to build upon what we have worked so hard to accomplish together, instead of acting like chickens pecking at each others tail feathers.

We need our valued members to continue to support what we have worked so hard to accomplish.
We are the forum not a bunch of bits or data.

Why fly off the coop, just to become the supper for a fox?

kurtak

Hey "Kury"
LOL - man you sure caught that fast - I posted - re-read the post - saw the y (instead of the t) & edited right away --- you don't let anything get past me do you my good friend ? LOL

by the way - that's another thing - where are the smilely faces - LOL, evil, twisted, arrow (etc. etc.)
If you find links that no longer work, it's probably due to the fact that the new software supports the secure "https" standard, where the old forum was just "http". That has caused a lot of links to no longer work. If anyone finds links that no longer work, please just let me know and I'll fix them. I've fixed a lot of them already, but it will take me a long time to go through the whole forum to find them all.
As you know - I tend to write some very long & detailed posts for the very purpose of providing as "complete" info as possible - the links in many of my (already long posts) are meant to give even more detail/completeness to the process - something (for safety reasons) I feel is very important in this business (considering the hazards that go with doing this)

I understand (now) why those links are not working - so it is somewhat of a bummer that the detail &/or completeness of info has been diminished by the links not working --- hopefully - over time we can get at least some of that fixed
Now we can all continue to bitch about what has changed and be part of the problem, or we can work together to fix them and be part of the solution. I hate to be so abrupt, especially to you my friend, but you have no idea how much work the "old" team has put in along with the "new" team to keep this place the valuable resource it has been.
I am truly sorry if I came off as "bitching" - that certainly was not my intent --- & you are not being abrupt my friend - more like helping to clear the path as you do so well !!!

As I said - I have NO problem with Noxx selling &/or new owners taking it over --- I was just trying to point out "some" problems I ran into after the change

Looks to me like the old Mods & the new Mods are working hard at getting the problems ironed out

Speaking of old Mods --- GOOD to see you back 4metals my very dear friend - I would have never been able to spend something like 12 years making a living from refining - &/or being a teacher on this forum had it not been for you (& of course other masters like you)
Yes, it has changed. And yet, it is the same valuable forum it has always been. All the information is still here. Consider how new members have felt over the years when they come here and ask a question and are told "Just search the forum. Everything you want to know has already been discussed". Now we're all faced with learning the new software, and we're all a little bit lost just like the newbs are when they first arrive.

Dave
Agreed !!! --- also - I did figure out how to get to my own content & search it - not sure why it it didn't work the first time I tried

The links not working is a bummer - but not the end of the world

One other thing I have not (yet) figured out is how to provide a link to an old post in a new post

Kurt

FrugalRefiner

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LOL - man you sure caught that fast - I posted - re-read the post - saw the y (instead of the t) & edited right away --- you don't let anything get past me do you my good friend ? LOL
I've been spending a LOT of time here since the changeover, so I do tend to catch things quickly. :)
by the way - that's another thing - where are the smilely faces - LOL, evil, twisted, arrow (etc. etc.)
When you're typing out your posts, there is a menu above what you're typing. You'll see buttons for Bold, Italic, Type size, etc. You'll also see several buttons that are three vertical dots. If you click on them, you'll get a drop down menu with more options. Click on the second one, and you'll find a LOT of smilies.
As you know - I tend to write some very long & detailed posts for the very purpose of providing as "complete" info as possible - the links in many of my (already long posts) are meant to give even more detail/completeness to the process - something (for safety reasons) I feel is very important in this business (considering the hazards that go with doing this)

I understand (now) why those links are not working - so it is somewhat of a bummer that the detail &/or completeness of info has been diminished by the links not working --- hopefully - over time we can get at least some of that fixed
Unfortunately, there are still a lot of links that have valid http links to content outside the forum. Once we get through the more pressing issues, perhaps the tech team can develop a script of some kind to fix them. In the mean time, if you find any let me know. I can edit the posts to fix them manually.
I am truly sorry if I came off as "bitching" - that certainly was not my intent --- & you are not being abrupt my friend - more like helping to clear the path as you do so well !!!

As I said - I have NO problem with Noxx selling &/or new owners taking it over --- I was just trying to point out "some" problems I ran into after the change
I know. Your post just hit me at the wrong time on the wrong day. None of us were prepared for the change, but some members reacted in the worst way, assuming there were conspiracies afoot to shut down the forum to silence the information here. I think that's an extension of the times we're in. Since I see the work the new team is putting in, I've grown tired of people attacking the changes simply because they're changes. While there are some things I liked about the previous system, there are many things that are better in the new software. The new team has bent over backward to fix anything we've brought to their attention.
One other thing I have not (yet) figured out is how to provide a link to an old post in a new post
Take a look in my Tips thread at the Including Links post.

Dave

snoman701

If anything, the number of posts and new members since ownership change has went up considerably. Prior to, it was pretty stagnant.

butcher

Staff member
I find have found pleasure, it is good hearing from our old friends, it warms my heart to talk to them, friends who may not have visited the forum for some time now, hearing from friends wondering where the future will take us all, as we all seem to be wondering these days.

Besides friends checking in on the forum, I have gotten some phone calls, with some great conversations with good friends I have not heard from in years.

Change is hard to swallow, venturing into the unknown can be even harder, but as long as we have faith, keep our strength, endure and keep up the good work, and the help of others, working together, we can overcome and prosper over anything.

We need to keep our communication open and rational, considering what others have to say, even when we may not agree or completely understand, shutting down or refusal can only lead us one way, and I can not see that as a good place to be going.

Anger, frustration, fear, striking out or turning our back, just make it even harder for us to find a good place at all.

My heart hurts for the thought of good members getting upset or of seeing the worst in what might come, and sacrificing, or giving up on what they have worked so hard to accomplish, members who have given their all, trying to learn while helping others, the same members who have made this forum such a success, not calming their own mind or blood, in order to join us in completing our tasks.

Last edited:

Latest posts