Introduction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spriz

Hello. I will go ahead and use this template to introduce myself..

Name : Steven
Sex : Male
Profession : this and that
Hobbies : music, electronics, pissing off upstair neighbors with loud power tools.
Interests : anything and everything science.
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : bit over one year
What are you looking for in our community? : not too sure. I suppose the occasional clarification.
How did you discover our Forum? : google

I started attempting to recover gold from a ton of various pins and connectors I had access to from where I was working about a year ago. After not very long I discovered that there was no gold in any of those pins, but I was intrigued by all of this so I began reading and trying very small scale. After several months I ended up with a tiny tiny piece of gold worth at best a few bucks. But I really just needed to see with my own eyes that it can be done.
After that I read and studied what material I could find and a couple months ago decided to give it another shot starting with a little less than a pound of cut Ram. And the result was about 1.7 grams of gold.
I now continue reading (yes, the book you all have told everyone to read mainly) and preparing for another batch. Mainly I am searching now for a source of raw material to work with.

Here’s a picture of what I managed so far, along with a fume hood i built from scratch.

I plan adding some lights and power outlets to the fume hood soon. As well as some other improvements

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Nice start on the fume hood....couple things though.

1. That metal collector on the top will last a little while, but will eventually corrode and will leak fumes. Rust could possibly fall into your reaction.

2. If those are the fans you're going to use, I'm not sure if those can pull enough air to remove all the fumes. Nitric reactions can produce an unbelievable amount of fumes/gases.

Hobbies : music, electronics, pissing off upstair neighbors with loud power tools.
How do you plan on venting the fume hood???....If the power tools don't piss off the neighbors wait until they get a whiff of reacted SMB.

Nice button....I still have my first button too.

Hello. I will go ahead and use this template to introduce myself..

Name : Steven
Sex : Male
Profession : this and that
Interests : anything and everything science.
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : bit over one year
What are you looking for in our community? : not too sure. I suppose the occasional clarification.
How did you discover our Forum? : google

I started attempting to recover gold from a ton of various pins and connectors I had access to from where I was working about a year ago. After not very long I discovered that there was no gold in any of those pins, but I was intrigued by all of this so I began reading and trying very small scale. After several months I ended up with a tiny tiny piece of gold worth at best a few bucks. But I really just needed to see with my own eyes that it can be done.
After that I read and studied what material I could find and a couple months ago decided to give it another shot starting with a little less than a pound of cut Ram. And the result was about 1.7 grams of gold.
I now continue reading (yes, the book you all have told everyone to read mainly) and preparing for another batch. Mainly I am searching now for a source of raw material to work with.

Here’s a picture of what I managed so far, along with a fume hood i built from scratch.

I plan adding some lights and power outlets to the fume hood soon. As well as some other improvements
Welcome to us!
You have started your journey a bit backwards since you have a couple of posts already.
There is plenty to study and read in here.
This is to get you started:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/post-327766

Oh yes I thought about the rusting issue. It’s all got several layers of clear coat rust proof paint. There are two inline fans already, those smaller ones I might add in as well. Currently it’s all being filtered through activated carbon and out the window right below the neighbors window haha.
As far as something falling into whatever I may have going on in there, be it rust or anything else, beakers are always covered and the way it’s designed inside will prevent that regardless. See pic. If anything were to fall from above it would roll and fall to the back

And yes I suppose a bit backwards, but when you have something to say…say it. Actually..that’s terrible advice don’t do that. It’s better to let everyone think you’re a fool than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Also it’s still really in the testing phase. I have only put hydrochloric acid in there so far. Nitric I try and avoid using when possible. I am designing a scrubber as well for filtration, until that’s done nitric is an outside activity.

Oh yes I thought about the rusting issue. It’s all got several layers of clear coat rust proof paint. There are two inline fans already, those smaller ones I might add in as well. Currently it’s all being filtered through activated carbon and out the window right below the neighbors window haha.
As far as something falling into whatever I may have going on in there, be it rust or anything else, beakers are always covered and the way it’s designed inside will prevent that regardless. See pic. If anything were to fall from above it would roll and fall to the back

And yes I suppose a bit backwards, but when you have something to say…say it. Actually..that’s terrible advice don’t do that. It’s better to let everyone think you’re a fool than to open your mouth and prove that you are.
It is hard to know who you are directing your comments to when you don’t use quotes.

Those fans are cheap enough and you can find them in any old junk (Tower) PC, they're easily swapped out if anything does happen, mine has been fine and has been used a few dozen times without a problem.

Back