Is it a mistake Ratio?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried that master to put in Hcl and heat it up I think its almost half n hour theres no effect on it

Have you tried to hammer it flat?
To increase surface area?
Is it very thin master thin likes an hair. And for real got some interest to do it again because of your help. This may easiest to do than aqua regia. Im so very glad to make it for real. What should baker should I use to be safe not not to crack for a long time expose in fire with sand?

Is it very thin master thin likes an hair. And for real got some interest to do it again because of your help. This may easiest to do than aqua regia. Im so very glad to make it for real. What should baker should I use to be safe not not to crack for a long time expose in fire with sand?
You should absolutely have a catch basin under when heating.
Use baking glass if you do not have access to proper pyroceram.

And if it is already as thin as a hair.
You can easily go directly to HCl Peroxide. Heating not necessary then.

That is impossible to say for me here.
I'd need to see what is happening.
You said it was no reaction in HCl.
Warm concentrated HCl dissolve tin relative easy.

Knowing how thick the metal is would help us a lot in understanding what you have, is it fine like powder or foils or thick like a wire a bar, or beads...
Pictures may help.

Rolling it thin as suggested should help to get more of the tin in the alloy exposed to acids.

Using weight may give you a clue if you are dissolving any of the tin, tin has a lot less specific gravity than gold so you need to consider that in the calculation, another possible clue how does the gold look, is it the same after being in the acid, do you see pitting of the surface or falling apart to brown powers...
just because you do not see a reaction does not necessarily mean that a reaction is not happening, you could have invisible hydrogen gas evolving and just not be detecting it.

After removing as much tin as possible using HCl.

I mentioned earlier a fusion as a possible way to deal with the tin.

Another idea is to use the concentrated sulfuric acid electrolytic stripping cell to separate the gold and tin alloy

A thought when going forward to dissolve the gold, I would probably look into using some other oxidizer with HCl than using nitric acid (to make aqua regia) to dissolve the gold, like using bleach or H2O2 as the oxidizing agent with the HCl acid.

You may not see any color change or much of a reaction at all, besides maybe some tiny bubbles, tin chloride solution will be clear or tin in solution will not change the looks of your acid.

In an alloy, only where the acid can come into direct contact with the tin atoms (on the surface of the metal) is the only place you can dissolve the tin from the alloy, where the tin is hidden under a shell of gold atoms (gold which is unreactive to the acid) and the acid cannot reach the tin then it cannot dissolve those tin atoms.

Last edited:
Knowing how thick the metal is would help us a lot in understanding what you have, is it fine like powder or foils or thick like a wire a bar, or beads...
Pictures may help.

Rolling it thin as suggested should help to get more of the tin in the alloy exposed to acids.

After removing as much tin as possible using HCl.

I mentioned earlier a fusion as a possible way to deal with the tin.

Another idea is to use the concentrated sulfuric acid electrolytic stripping cell to separate the gold and tin alloy

A thought when going forward to dissolve the gold, I would probably look into using some other oxidizer with HCl than using nitric acid (to make aqua regia) to dissolve the gold, like using bleach or H2O2 as the oxidizing agent with the HCl acid.

You may not see any color change or much of a reaction at all, besides maybe some tiny bubbles, tin chloride solution will be clear or tin in solution will not change the looks of your acid.

In an alloy, only where the acid can come into direct contact with the tin atoms (on the surface of the metal) is the only place you can dissolve the tin from the alloy, where the tin is hidden under a shell of gold atoms (gold which is unreactive to the acid) and the acid cannot reach the tin then it cannot dissolve those tin atoms.
, it is thin Like a 2papers thickness. Thats what I'm thinkin too, It can maybe desolve only the external part of the alloy , how about the inner part, that contains tin? So maybe I need to destroy it using HCl and H202? Before I proceed to Smh precipitation?

Back