Is it economical for amature to extract silver from rock?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That can be debatable, I have seen very incompetent professionals, and very adept, non formally trained persons. I have met a lot of certified, dyed in the wool, college educated professionals, where most people think their degree should represent that the last of the gray matter has been removed from inside their skull. Passion for a subject should drive a person seeking knowledge, not parents wanting their undecided in life adolescent, to have a higher education than the other 99% of the world, and deep pockets to get them there.
I do agree with you on the amateur making more mistakes and their failure rates. However there is a saying that the best and longest lasting lessons, are the hardest lessons learned. And people who do the same thing over and over, expecting different results, truly are crazy. Just my opinion though.
I have known of a few amateurs who have become wealthy through mining, and a lot of "gone broke" professionals. Sometimes a little luck and hard work can work miracles.
As far as work ethics go, I encourage everybody to try anything. More exposure to a variety of subjects, leads to finding a person's passion. Find your passion, and you will never work another day in your life. Learn to make it pay, and you will find a truly happy person. Do not sell your soul for the almighty dollar only. A little off course, but thanks for listening.

That can be debatable, I have seen very incompetent professionals, and very adept, non formally trained persons. I have met a lot of certified, dyed in the wool, college educated professionals, where most people think their degree should represent that the last of the gray matter has been removed from inside their skull. Passion for a subject should drive a person seeking knowledge, not parents wanting their undecided in life adolescent, to have a higher education than the other 99% of the world, and deep pockets to get them there.
I do agree with you on the amateur making more mistakes and their failure rates. However there is a saying that the best and longest lasting lessons, are the hardest lessons learned. And people who do the same thing over and over, expecting different results, truly are crazy. Just my opinion though.
I have known of a few amateurs who have become wealthy through mining, and a lot of "gone broke" professionals. Sometimes a little luck and hard work can work miracles.
As far as work ethics go, I encourage everybody to try anything. More exposure to a variety of subjects, leads to finding a person's passion. Find your passion, and you will never work another day in your life. Learn to make it pay, and you will find a truly happy person. Do not sell your soul for the almighty dollar only. A little off course, but thanks for listening.
You can’t be professional and incompetent at the same time. And I did mention a high level of skill and expertise to go along with the knowledge. I will concede that attending college is not necessarily a measure of education. But I also didn’t say college. I said formally and thoroughly trained. That could come via an apprenticeship or even at a Grandfather’s knee.

Nowdays, it is fairly easy to find everything online, so people do. But motivated, self-educated individuals usually see only the things they want, excluding anything problematic from their view. You can now easily find videos and DIY setups of extraction equipment, DIY jaw crushers, impact mills .. (altough i does not seen flotation unit to the date on YT :p ). Higher education is not always needed, and I will say there are far less situations when it is needed, than opposite.
It all comes down to man´s ability to judge the situation, do thorough maths, realize culprits in the process and solve them, plan everything from boring the holes in the mine to disposing finely crushed tailings, get fire assays done from multiple homogenized samples and continue with this through the operation to see ore consistency and grade... Degree or without degree, doable. I would say that with degree it would be easier to come close to the green numbers. Best combination is when one study because he want to know all details and is passionate about the field.

Very true. To answer the original thread question, I would have to answer no. Refining Silver scrap is even a rough go for an amateur with no training. Although that person could learn to, with some education learned here, or else where, and a few outlays of cash for frugally researched pieces of equipment.

Exept for banking, pharmacy and politics...

@goldshark: Did you get a satisfying answer to the original question?
I did not post the original thread, merely commented. It is always interesting to hear other people's opinions of their interpretation of what something represents to them, them add an opinion, if necessary, to clarify if they are vague.

Back