Is this a good deal?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For years at a lower Gold price I sold all my clean cut Gold fingers on EBay and got even after fees more than what Gold they contained.
So I only had to do the work of getting huge lots of fingered cards and trim them right and do some nice photos , show Karat reading and weight.
They would sell and cover the entire costs on the lots of scrap, that left the scrap cards FREE to me to harvest components for processing.
I did not need to do the work , time or expend the acids, so was a win, win for me.

Maybe I have spilled to many beans here, but just a guide as to what fingers are worth in reality.

Now if you want to get a batch to learn on, go for it, but not to make a profit with.

Plug in CPU fingers. About 3 grams of gold per pound. They are almost asking for spot price for the gold they contain. At 600 grams, they should yield about 3 grams, if you get all the gold that's there. Should be around $175 if you can get it all. After acid and time, a possible $50 profit is not worth the risk.
Are you sure there are CPU fingers? If there are 3g per lb I would give them a try.

For years at a lower Gold price I sold all my clean cut Gold fingers on EBay and got even after fees more than what Gold they contained.
So I only had to do the work of getting huge lots of fingered cards and trim them right and do some nice photos , show Karat reading and weight.
They would sell and cover the entire costs on the lots of scrap, that left the scrap cards FREE to me to harvest components for processing.
I did not need to do the work , time or expend the acids, so was a win, win for me.

Maybe I have spilled to many beans here, but just a guide as to what fingers are worth in reality.

Now if you want to get a batch to learn on, go for it, but not to make a profit with.
This debate came up for the forum before. The selling of gold bearing e-waste in general. A certain core of members understood what was happing on ebay (at first) and other places. The question "is it ethical to sell e-waste for much higher than scrap value?" Understand this was around that time when "gold drop" bars were hot on ebay. It took the whole forum dedicated to trying to get people to understand there was basically no gold in them, for months and months. After all of this was hammered out on the open forum it became a consensus selling scrap for more than than could reasonably refine out with a fair profit would be discouraged if possible. Do we still do that?

That type of finger pattern i have seen on my P2/P3( but mostly black fiber) processor slot cards that i have...I don`t know where are these from but the fingers on my slot cards are deep yellow...these look very pale in color... although very nicely trimmed by the way.

I dont buy trimmed fingers since the price is overestimated for the yield they produce and frankly it is somwhat a lottery (if you want to make profit)...but for hobby and fun you can spend whatever amount of money it is worth to you.

IMHO make a calculation of the process time, chemical components input costs, comfort and electricity cost, equipment cost, amortization time of your equipment, your time, and all other not forseeable costs and material type and yields, and then calculate how much you have to produce to brake even and how much of that should you spend on the source material.

Don`t just buy stuff so you have something to play around with...you can find very good bargains if you are patient and search thoroughly.

Buy stuff that has high gold content and process it when you have a considerable amount...that way you can lower costs and make profit too....besides having fun.

Be safe

Pete

Was it Ethical to sell a product I harvested and cleaned to the best of my ability to the highest bidder?
Yes.
I provided a good product.
I cut them close and removed all blank spots, any crappy sections I kept for my self to process and the bidding set the going prices.
Many I sold to contacted me to buy larger lots on the side, I would not side deal only list through EBay.
Many reported the recovery amount when asking for more, so they must of been very happy and kept buying my listings, many multiple repeat buys, 100's of purchases by some.
EBay, PayPal and I all made money this way.

Now at today's Gold prices I wish I had a ton of the ISA Card fingers to process that I sold off back in the day.

Last edited:
Was it Ethical to sell a product I harvested and cleaned to the best of my ability to the highest bidder?
Yes.
I provided a good product.
I cut them close and removed all blank spots, any crappy sections I kept for my self to process and the bidding set the going prices.
Many I sold to contacted me to buy larger lots on the side, I would not side deal only list through EBay.
Many reported the recovery amount when asking for more, so they must of been very happy and kept buying my listings, many multiple repeat buys, 100's of purchases by some.
EBay, PayPal and I all made money this way.

Now at today's Gold prices I wish I had a ton of the ISA Card fingers to process that I sold off back in the day.
Don`t get me wrong....a seller`s job is to make as much money as he can of his merchandise....no wrong in that, and yes it is ethical since we are talking about some goods ......on the other hand the buyer tries to lower the price as much as he can so he can make a profit....no wrong in that either...
If you buy trimmed fingers for spot price (as a refiner) you consider your time to be worthless and the process input material costs will rise the price of your recovered gold with 20-30% so you have to wait for gold to reach that price just for you to brake even.
Lots of hobbyst gold fever rush refiners drive the price high since they dont care...they are not making it for a profit.(supply and demand)

This is why i dont buy trimmed fingers, nowadays you just cannot make a profit on it...

As a hobbyst, you can disregard your time and costs since you are not making this for a profit....just for fun...and yes hobby can cost you a lot...No wrong in that either.

Be safe

Pete

Back