Jeweller from Australia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry

The first thing I have learned from this site is that Hoke is king. I will take the advice. It is not diffycult refining gold but it is realy diffycult if you run into a problem and trying to rectify it. This site is great but most people hold on to information they don't want to realy share which is understandable. Thank you for opening the door to start the great journey.

The first thing I have learned from this site is that Hoke is king. I will take the advice. It is not diffycult refining gold but it is realy diffycult if you run into a problem and trying to rectify it. This site is great but most people hold on to information they don't want to realy share which is understandable. Thank you for opening the door to start the great journey.
Welcome to us.
We like Hoke because she gives a simple yet comprehensive insight into the different aspects of refining.

And I don’t think much is held back here.
There are of course some things that are not disclosed due to business secrets and such.
But that is waay more advanced than most of us have to worry about😏

As a jeweller I’m guessing you wish to process your own scrap materials and if so all the processes you need are fully discussed and documented here on the forum.

Yes, I have been succesfull in refining my own gold for the last 3 years but ran into a problem and this forum saved me. Well we will see tomorrow. My problem was that I used too much nitric acid in this batch. Never happened before but I was thinking if the filter I used in my polisher could have been the culprit. i used thin layers of wall insulation that does not burn. I don't know. I will also start using sulfamic acid and not urea. Is there a link to download Hokes book?

Yes, I have been succesfull in refining my own gold for the last 3 years but ran into a problem and this forum saved me. Well we will see tomorrow. My problem was that I used too much nitric acid in this batch. Never happened before but I was thinking if the filter I used in my polisher could have been the culprit. i used thin layers of wall insulation that does not burn. I don't know. I will also start using sulfamic acid and not urea. Is there a link to download Hokes book?
Below in my signature tag, welcome to GRF

Hi
As you say, refining gold is not difficult. And solving problems need good theoretical background - and it is my opinion that every refiner should know that basic chemistry, which is going on, and understand what is happening. At least some principles of redox reactions, electrochemical potentials of metals concerned + basics about basic compounds you deal with or that which can emerge in your solution while you are working.

Hoke is very good start. And generally saying, for processing gold and silver scrap originating at jeweller´s shop, it is completely sufficient information.
There are two worlds of refining - one that is held on basic and standard principles, shared openly (principal setups), maybe also some procedures included. This is here on the forum, easily accessible in literature, there are some great books issuing this subject.

Second world is world of private businesses - which rely on their confidential procedures and internal research to defend their position in the market. Yeah, they have pimped up procedures, step to step manuals for this and that, top end chemist developing new techniques etc... And yeah, they won´t share most of their findings with you. This is espetially true with refining of platinum group metals (PGMs) - as this field is order of magnitude larger and more difficult in terms of refining issues and possibilities. Again, in the first world we have general information, but these are very scarce. Usually there aren´t practically any given procedures about refining mixed feeds of PGMs. Contrary to gold and silver - abundant information, also here on the forum plethora threads with photographs of setups, ammounts of chemicals, yields, purities, solved problems, even some of our members posted series of great videos on YT (sreetips aka kadriver for example).

Hi
As you say, refining gold is not difficult. And solving problems need good theoretical background - and it is my opinion that every refiner should know that basic chemistry, which is going on, and understand what is happening. At least some principles of redox reactions, electrochemical potentials of metals concerned + basics about basic compounds you deal with or that which can emerge in your solution while you are working.

Hoke is very good start. And generally saying, for processing gold and silver scrap originating at jeweller´s shop, it is completely sufficient information.
There are two worlds of refining - one that is held on basic and standard principles, shared openly (principal setups), maybe also some procedures included. This is here on the forum, easily accessible in literature, there are some great books issuing this subject.

Second world is world of private businesses - which rely on their confidential procedures and internal research to defend their position in the market. Yeah, they have pimped up procedures, step to step manuals for this and that, top end chemist developing new techniques etc... And yeah, they won´t share most of their findings with you. This is espetially true with refining of platinum group metals (PGMs) - as this field is order of magnitude larger and more difficult in terms of refining issues and possibilities. Again, in the first world we have general information, but these are very scarce. Usually there aren´t practically any given procedures about refining mixed feeds of PGMs. Contrary to gold and silver - abundant information, also here on the forum plethora threads with photographs of setups, ammounts of chemicals, yields, purities, solved problems, even some of our members posted series of great videos on YT (sreetips aka kadriver for example).
This forum saved my gold drop today, thanks. I merely added hcl and water to my solution and it worked. Yes, platinum is my next step. I have started reducing about 50 litre of my stock pot. Don't have any idea what to do but I will read Hoke first and then scowre this forum.

This forum saved my gold drop today, thanks. I merely added hcl and water to my solution and it worked. Yes, platinum is my next step. I have started reducing about 50 litre of my stock pot. Don't have any idea what to do but I will read Hoke first and then scowre this forum.
If you didn´t found any exact procedure for some process, and does not feel like you completely trust your skill level and intended procedure made by yourself - always ask here. Write down what you have in the pot, and how you intend to continue with it. We will (if we know) gladly point out our comments and guide you to the easiest and most straightforward procedure :)

Well my first question will be: Should I reduce the pot? There is platinum, palladium, silver and copper in the pot. It takes time and that will be my only question for now. I will read Hoke's in the mean time.

Well my first question will be: Should I reduce the pot? There is platinum, palladium, silver and copper in the pot. It takes time and that will be my only question for now. I will read Hoke's in the mean time.
Depending on what you have done with it so far, not necessarily.
If you have not done any cementing, then find a thick slab of copper (Bus bar or similar).
Make sure the liquid is relatively acidic, around pH 2 or lower is ok.
Prepare the stock pot with some kind of proper vigorous stirring or air bubbling.
A device with an air hose going down into the bottom of a PVC tube slightly wider than the Copper bar so the Copper bar is inside, is effective.
The issue with cementing Pt and Pd is that it covers and pacifies the copper rather fast, unless you can dislodge it by either bubbling or stirring.
Therefore it is important that the stirring is established before the Copper goes in.

Let this cementing go for a day or two or until the Stannous test is negative.
Remove the slab and brush it clean into the solution, then let the solution settle until clear.
Carefully siphon off as much liquid as possible without disturbing the black mud in the bottom.
When you have concentrated this into another smaller container, continue until you have separated the mud completely.
This is your values and can be re-refined or sent away for refining outside.

Now it is time to treat your waste :)

Be aware of the dangers of PGM salts and make sure you have a decent fume hood and proper protective gear.
Separating the different metals successfully is far from easy so my advice would be to recover the gold and any silver and then cement the PGMs out and save as a rainy day fund.

There is platinum, palladium, silver and copper in the pot.
Per the bold print (silver) --- if this is your stock pot from gold refining there should be little or NO silver in it (at least not in the solution) --- any silver will be silver chloride which will already be settled in the bottom of the stock pot - not in the solution

Kurt

Per the bold print (silver) --- if this is your stock pot from gold refining there should be little or NO silver in it (at least not in the solution) --- any silver will be silver chloride which will already be settled in the bottom of the stock pot - not in the solution

Kurt
You are right. I have cans of the stuff that was leftover after filtering. Very heavy. Now I just have to figure out how to get the silver out.

You are right. I have cans of the stuff that was leftover after filtering. Very heavy. Now I just have to figure out how to get the silver out.
It is important to keep it wet.
If dried, the only way will be grinding and smelting.

Back