Large gold plated connector

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worker0

Heloo friends,
I dissasembled some devices, and found 1 pretty large connector 20 - 30 CM long. I breaked it into pieces and try to extract gold platted pins and that 1 large piece which i dont know how to call it ( not metal "rocket" like shape. I mean on "plates" which goes from to end of connector between fingers but it is visiblebon picture as a line between fingers - wrong cam angle..., even they are gold plated) . Lets call them large pin.

They are very very sharp. 1 punched whole connector in my finger and make 10 - 15 holes, and few cuts. Blood, and more blood... Never mind.

It was 1 month ago and I almost forgot about them. I tryed even to incinerate connector with torch lighter but plastic have some kind of fire retandant probably. When I examined pins, some of them are not goldish anymore like red marked pin. They are black-ish/black . Will I destroy gold plating if I incinerate them on 400 500 degrees Celsius woodfire for 5 6 min until they be easily crushed, even if they get black? Ofc next is washing with water. I tryed to clean them even with toothbrush but it was pointless. They are not goldish shiny anymore.

Thanx in advance.

Attachments

• 20191212_212300.jpg
    20191212_212300.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 210
  • 20191212_215758.jpg
    20191212_215758.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 205
  • 20191212_221332.jpg
    20191212_221332.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 201
Learn to use your hammer, I could have all the pins free in a couple of hammer blows.
It is possible when you know how to use the hammer.
Even with a hammer learn to use it safely.

Burning electronic scrap without a proper understanding of the dangers involved or without proper equipment, will not get you gold but it can put your health and many other people's health at risk.

Ii know that plastic vapor is really cancerogenic. But this cant be done with hammer. Plastic is litle bit elastic, I heated it with jet torch, ant then hammered. Still imposibble. I will try heavy duty hammer. Are blackish pin without gold or it is under black layer?

I dont belive that gold dissapeared, people burn sim cards and ic chips without loosing anything, but you are pro @butcher and i would like to hear yor opinnion. Cheers

You mean to dissolve plastic in acid? HCL?

Still unanswered, is there gold on black pins or it is destroyed?

Hi!
If I understand Jon correctly, the plastic on these connectors will not be destroyed by acid.
So just go ahead and dissolve the pins/gold with an acid of your own choosing.
After you remove the steel pin that is.

I think also what Butcher means, is not to crush the plastic, but hammer out the pins from the back or front through the plastic.

What do you mean with under the black?
The scorched black residue from your torching?
If so, normal heating to below evaporating the gold, will not remove gold, it will still be there if it was there in the beginning.

I know there is a language barrier here but, please try to spend a bit of time reading and rereading the answers from the people trying to help you, it becomes a bit tiresome if one does try to help and the person do not spend a bit of effort to understand the help they have been given.

Have a fruitfull weekend :)

Yes black residue from burning. I know that temperature was not even close enough to damage gold but i was confused because I trid to clean pins and it was impossible to remove black residue. I read and still reread, it just get me confused because it was impossible to clean it and I know that temperature was not enough high to make damage gold. I know people burn IC chips, sim cards, and other juicy stuff. I did not understand correctly jargon... it is hard to hammer them out, because they have 2 additional pins which hold them in place and protect that they dont get off wen pulling out controller board ( I will try to put picture of back side so you can see what i mean ). Sorry again problem was with jargon. Thank you all :)

I was also consudering and figured out that -2 -3 degrees Celsius is not enough "cold". Another deep frezer is great, it goes to -18 - -20 but it is not worth trying i ti only one huge connector. Maybe i will try this method when remove all cpu sockets.

I know guy which successsfully try this method with liquid nitrogen and protective glass, and chains ;)

There are several types of hard or soft plastic, both of which you can free the pins with a hammer, the soft plastic is flattened and stretched and the pins will pull right out, the hard plastic just shatters and frees the pins.
You do not need to freeze them.

You just need a good anvil and a good hammer and know how to use them.

A vise is also very handy the mechanical force is better for smashing the softer plastics and freeing pins (than the hammer, just put the connector in vise squeeze it flat and pull all of the pins out of the flattened plastic with a pair of plyers.

My other option is using a pin puller or installing a tool. I have a couple of sizes, the pin tool a tube with a pin-like nail that you simply slide the tube over the pin (releasing the holding tabs) and then the nail like pin when pushed down frees the gold plated pin from the plastic...

Some times shearing the plastic with hand tools (like with diagonal cutters or many other tools), can be used more easily to free the pins mechanically.

Some plastics will turn to goo in acids, others are not affected by acids. Many of the harder black plastics or bakelites are more acid resistant, but also easy to remove with a hammer, and less resistant to my hammer....

There are many different ways to easily mechanically remove pins or other scrap materials without burning it and polluting your neighborhood and killing your neighbors.

If that was my materials.....I will go straight to AR.... dissolve every metals...the solution will be dirty,but that's ok. It will take several more steps to separate the gold and purifying it.

Another option is to melt those above 1300 Celsius....but ... again ...is so small amount maybe if you have tones of it it is worth.

Back