Large scale silver plate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlearly

Hello, newbie here, first time posting, I’ve read some great info here on the silver plate stripping, I have over 2000 lbs of the plated platters , big trays, bowels , flatware etc. all from left over estate sales. No one wants to buy the stuff any more, I will post a pic of just some of it. My question is what the community of pros here thinks about if I should clean myself or worth while at the volume I can gather in another year and truck the stuff myself to some one that would wash it for me on a percentage or buy it out right from me.
View attachment 0DB91D18-10B2-44B5-BB91-5160D4BF4E01.MOV
I am a metals hound like stacking what I have. What would you do? Thank you for any input!

Welcome to the forum.
In my opinion trying to strip silver plate is not really worth the effort unless you have nothing better to do , if I remember correctly there was a company in Germany that was buying this sort of material, especially in volume , if you can find someone to buy it as is I’d be tempted to take the money or swap it for metal to stack.
As I stated this is my personal opinion and others may have other opinions.

Just sell it as brass. I have tried for three years to find a legitimate refinery that will take this material and pay on silver and copper content, let alone the nickel content. I have failed to find one that pays in such a way that it is worthwhile to save. Better off just getting rid of it.

Flatware is worthwhile if you can collect a thousand pounds. Holloware just doesn't pay.

or buy it out right from me.
Here is a company that I used to send 1 ton batches of circuit boards to for smelting - they also bought silver plated stuff for "a bit" over copper spot price - not sure they still do that but you can call them & ask

Enviro-Chem Inc | Metal Services | Rogers, MN

Not absolutely sure about this one but I believe this company will (&/or use to) do cyanide leaching/stripping of silver plating IF you had a large enough batch so it may be worth while calling them

https://www.advchem.com/index.php
Or you can try doing it yourself with a "plan water" stripping cell as talked about in this thread

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/processing-silverplate-with-h2o-cell.16591/
Read the first page of the link I provided (that gives the "general" idea) - then skip forward to "the bottom" of page 7 & look for post by "solar_plasma" & everything he posted after that

The bottom of page 7 is where solar_ plasma first started using the H2O cell & from there he took it to a relatively large scale with very good success

Kurt

Better off just getting rid of it.
I am not sure I agree with that - though I have never used the "plain water" stripping cell myself - according to solar_plasma he stripped (about) 130 grams of silver (so a bit over 4 ozt) from a large silver plated platter in a matter of a few hours

Here is a quote from solar_plasma (near bottom of page 8) about that & his using the plain water stripping cell
I stripped a silver plated dinner tray about 60cm x 40cm, which once has had 180g silver according to the hallmarks. The powder is still a little wet after several days of drying, but it is weighing 130g now. 1/4 is still untouched, because a hydrogen bubble had built up under the electrolysis. This was done in a relatively short time, some hours not more.
Here is another quote from solar_plasma about using the plain water stripping cell
Thank you once again, modtheworld44!! This IS the AP equivalent to recovery of silver from silver plate! It is cheap, reusable, minimizing waste and pretty safe.
once the silver is stripped using the cell you still have the copper &/or brass &/or nickel/brass to sell to the scrap yard so you get silver - plus scrap copper/bass to sell

If I ever had a lot of silver plated stuff I would certainly at least give the plain water cell a try

Kurt

I am selling all my silver plate to a firm interested primarily as a nickel alloy.
£4 to £5 a kilo depending on quantity. the more you bring the better the price.
Not sure they would take anything after it had been stripped.
I always estimate one gram a kilo recovery of gold from gold plating, that way I am seldom disappointed and sometimes pleasantly surprised.
So I have to think there will be less than 60p worth of silver on a kilo of tableware.

The water cell does work, but requires constant attention. Also, unless you are getting electricity at zero cost, it is still an uneconomic method. In my opinion it is still better to sell for the underlying metal (brass, copper, etc.).

Time for more coffee.

I am not sure I agree with that - though I have never used the "plain water" stripping cell myself - according to solar_plasma he stripped (about) 130 grams of silver (so a bit over 4 ozt) from a large silver plated platter in a matter of a few hours
If I recall that thread correctly, someone shortly after that said that he should not expect to recover that quantity on a regular basis.

I have a substantial amount of silver plate. I have spent time on the phone with a few of the east coast refineries. The sales reps initially showed interest, but I never got a refinery schedule back on the low grade silver. Mind you, all it is for them is an easy melt and assay.

There are uses for it, hence the reason envirochem is buying it...but they are utilizing it as a collector for their house lots.

I am not familiar with typical thickness of Ag plating on plated silverware, but in electronics, it is generaly resembling around 1-4% of weight in Ag. Taking 2000lb, that is quite a bit of silver I think. I would at least give it a shot - there is quite a bit of value in that material to be recovered. If I had 10kg, I wouldn´t bother with it, but close to 1 ton, that is very interesting figure. Even at 1% Ag content it would be very nice to strip few kg of silver off it.
Sulfuric/nitric route is not very nice in volume, but electrochemical stripping is a relatively doable, you can do even with plain tap water - altough it is a bit slow, but working. Search for some old bathing tub plus old ATX from computer and give it a shot :) Quite a bit of info here on the forum about it.

But considering that you are not in hurry, few liters of concentrated sulfuric acid plus dosing nitric would slowly get you where you want to be, altough the process is dangerous in it´s very nature. But no fancy equipment needed, just good PPE and diligence not to have any water around :) Major variable here would be your time - if it is worth your time in general, as this could easily take few weeks, one afternoon each day. Electrolysis can be performed in bigger bulk at once, I even know about doing 100kg batches at time in old modified bathtub. But it wasn´t silverware, but old silver plated metal sheets from electronics manufacturing.

There are procedures involving ammonia, but I would avoid them because of connected dangers with explosive Ag compounds, espetially when scaled up.

Nevertheless, if you sucessfully strip any % of silver contained, it would be a win situation, because you can always sell that metal as scrap brass or bronze or whatever, as you will do either with non-deplated stuff. So there is very low possibility of losing money here. Go for it :)

Sulfuric/nitric route is not very nice
As the saying goes --- "there is more then one way to skin a cat" ;)

The sulfuric/nitric method is certainly another way to strip silver plating - this method has three benefits over the H2O cell

1) it is MUCH faster at stripping the silver plating

2) more complete stripping of the plating as the sulfuric/nitic (solution) gets into the nocks & crannies & dissolves the silver --- with the H2O cell the silver is not dissolved - rather it is knocked off by the DC current - the current is not as effective at knocking the silver off from inside the nocks & crannies - so some plating is likely to be left stuck in the nocks & crannies

3) the copper/brass is not effected by the sulfuric/nitric (which is why this method is used to restore plated items) the H2O cell has some effect on the copper/brass (very like but some)

The down side of this process is as we know sulfuric acid is one of the more dangerous acids to work with so much more care needed when working with it - especially on large scale

Also you have the cost of chems to consider

Also recovery of the dissolved silver from the silver sulfate solution to consider

There are two methods for that

1) reduce silver sulfate to silver sulfide by cementing with iron & then reducing the silver sulfide to silver by smelting with iron/borax/soda ash --- this method does not allow you to reuse the sulfuric

2) reduce silver sulfate to silver chloride with HCl then reduce silver chloride with sugar/lye - or sulfuric/iron --- this method allows you to reuse the sulfuric

here are a couple of threads where this process has been discussed -----

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/new-youtube-content-coming.30348/#post-317891
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...kg-of-silver-plated-copper-servingware.30496/
Geo has done a couple videos with this method so if he sees this thread maybe he will chime in on this discussion &/or provide links to his videos

Kurt

Wow I am set back at all the replies and in put; linked discussion on the topic. I can’t thank you all enough. I will research all the discussion on the matter and decide how to go about it. No stranger to working with the acids during the w2k I own and operated a small scrap yard heavy metal blood poising about killed me while Refining gold from plated parts. Thanks again to all

As the saying goes --- "there is more then one way to skin a cat" ;)

The sulfuric/nitric method is certainly another way to strip silver plating - this method has three benefits over the H2O cell

1) it is MUCH faster at stripping the silver plating

2) more complete stripping of the plating as the sulfuric/nitic (solution) gets into the nocks & crannies & dissolves the silver --- with the H2O cell the silver is not dissolved - rather it is knocked off by the DC current - the current is not as effective at knocking the silver off from inside the nocks & crannies - so some plating is likely to be left stuck in the nocks & crannies

3) the copper/brass is not effected by the sulfuric/nitric (which is why this method is used to restore plated items) the H2O cell has some effect on the copper/brass (very like but some)

The down side of this process is as we know sulfuric acid is one of the more dangerous acids to work with so much more care needed when working with it - especially on large scale

Also you have the cost of chems to consider

Also recovery of the dissolved silver from the silver sulfate solution to consider

There are two methods for that

1) reduce silver sulfate to silver sulfide by cementing with iron & then reducing the silver sulfide to silver by smelting with iron/borax/soda ash --- this method does not allow you to reuse the sulfuric

2) reduce silver sulfate to silver chloride with HCl then reduce silver chloride with sugar/lye - or sulfuric/iron --- this method allows you to reuse the sulfuric

here are a couple of threads where this process has been discussed -----

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/new-youtube-content-coming.30348/#post-317891
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...kg-of-silver-plated-copper-servingware.30496/
Geo has done a couple videos with this method so if he sees this thread maybe he will chime in on this discussion &/or provide links to his videos

Kurt
When we look to this situation as to "I need to somehow do this 2000lbs", there are considerations you mentioned - and they are quite real. Firstly, decision need to be made about proper procedure. I do have some experience regarding ammonia based stripping methods, and as long they work, OK, but they are hell to perform on scale. That ammonia smell will rip your nose off, unless you will somehow work out how to create fume exhaust and hood large enough to fit regular small bathing tub into it.

After these experiences, and also being familiar with working with much more hazardous chemicals than just concentrated sulfuric acid, I will go with sulfuric/nitric on this one, even if it seems worse.

For this, source of tech grade concentrated sulfuric (95% is plenty sufficient) need to be found. You would need more than a several gallons of the stuff, and you need to find it cheap. There wouldn´t be that horrible consumption of nitric acid through the process, I will expect few gallons of 65% stuff will do. Aside of this, you will then need some good cheap source of tech grade sodium hydroxide (ordinarily sold as 25kg bags here) and several kilograms of tablesalt (for future conversion of Ag2SO4 to AgCl). There are possibilities of conversion of Ag2SO4 directly to Ag2O tho.

Nice thing about silver sulfate is that it can actually nicely crystallize out of the sulfuric acid solutions. Even nicer (in regard of efficiency) is to operate at elevated temperatures, and when the solution became saturated with Ag2SO4 and crystals will start to form, shut it down for that day, cover the beaker/vessel with plastic wrap to avoid moisture and let it cool overnight (solubility at 24°C - 31g/100g, at 96°C 127g/100g). To the morning, crystals will grow inside, and you simply pour the sulfuric acid off to another beaker, topple with a bit of fresh one and continue.

This would require diligence, thorough follow up on safety precautions, full PPE gear including apron and full face shield, long sleeved gloves etc. Heat will also help speed up the reaction - concentrated sulfuric acid will dissolve silver also on it´s own at elevated temperatures, so nitric use could be cut down even further. But it would be long chore, few pieces at a time, tied on a copper wire, submerged to the solution, wait a minute till leach do it´s job (nicely visually seen), remove, submerge in rinsing bath, second rinsing bath and finally wash with water.

But I can imagine it to be done fairly well. Like an afternoon after-work strange past-time for few weeks :) wlearly, if you have that time and intial capital, courage, diligence and motivation, go for it. Firstly, you need to get familiar with process in small scale - obtain the necessary PPE, sulfuric, nitric, hotplate... And give it a go with small sample to see if you will be capable to perform this right without severly injuring yourself.

Moreover, recovery rate with this process is indeed very nice :) and byproduct is practically intact base metal, which you can sell as it is to the scrapyard - clean and shiny goes for top dollar. Or push it even further and try to find seller for that nickel alloys, as there is very considerable value in nickel :)

Last edited:
When we look to this situation as to "I need to somehow do this 2000lbs", there are considerations you mentioned - and they are quite real. Firstly, decision need to be made about proper procedure. I do have some experience regarding ammonia based stripping methods,
Per the bold print - & then there is yet another method for stripping silver plating (&/leaving the copper/brass behind for sale to the scrap yard)

You can strip/etch/leach the silver plating with iodine/iodide ;) ;)

Never done it - so not sure about recovery from the leach solution

Iodine/iodide will strip gold - PGM (Pd, Pt & Rh) & silver plating

I know that with gold the gold can be recovered with ascorbic acid or SO2 or SMB

With silver I "think" you first have to adjust Ph to 8 & drop it as a hydroxide (if memory serves me right)

Kurt

Per the bold print - & then there is yet another method for stripping silver plating (&/leaving the copper/brass behind for sale to the scrap yard)

You can strip/etch/leach the silver plating with iodine/iodide ;) ;)

Never done it - so not sure about recovery from the leach solution

Iodine/iodide will strip gold - PGM (Pd, Pt & Rh) & silver plating

I know that with gold the gold can be recovered with ascorbic acid or SO2 or SMB

With silver I "think" you first have to adjust Ph to 8 & drop it as a hydroxide (if memory serves me right)

Kurt
Iodine/iodide is very elegant method with one very serious drawback - iodine is very expensive. Careful planning should be made and thorough recovery sequences applied in order to recycle precious iodine reagent.
I only knew about gold tho, so now my vision of this process is significantly broadened... Does silver just fall from the solution as AgI or it somehow complexes and exist in solution ? What is the saturation point ?

To top all this, guess with what I right now strip the Mo gold plated discs from power diodes ? :D :D So slow, one by one, waiting for the iodine to do it´s job. But very nice on the substrate - virtually untouched by leach.

Does silver just fall from the solution as AgI or it somehow complexes and exist in solution ? What is the saturation point ?
I have only used iodine/iodide on gold plating - However I read a paper on it a few years back (which is why to recover silver - Ph needs adjusting - if memory serves me right)

I will see if I can find that paper for you (it would be good to go back & read it anyway)

Kurt

Once again i am blow away with the the advice from clearly intelligent individuals, i have some really big triple plate trys i will play with and
See what they will yeld thank
You for all the advice

Back