Late 1970s early 1980s equipment identification

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astrofarmer

Hey guys, thanks to this forum I have took the time to collect some stuff and wanted to get some input on what I have here this is generally what I have collected from various old stuff 1970s 1980s no clue what it was used for

Attachments

• 7D8764E0-CBFB-4548-A3CF-24E46F2C0857.jpeg
    7D8764E0-CBFB-4548-A3CF-24E46F2C0857.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • 04325851-0F35-45C7-9071-2B15FF32FCA1.jpeg
    04325851-0F35-45C7-9071-2B15FF32FCA1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • 2ADA0F24-B0FE-4342-818F-218C280EB2BD.jpeg
    2ADA0F24-B0FE-4342-818F-218C280EB2BD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • EEEF9EB3-27DC-43BB-AF92-CEB7138BB3DB.jpeg
    EEEF9EB3-27DC-43BB-AF92-CEB7138BB3DB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • CA15256B-FF66-4325-BB2E-B4AFD1DF1FCB.jpeg
    CA15256B-FF66-4325-BB2E-B4AFD1DF1FCB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • F7542F8C-6CAF-4EBB-9D63-75CC53140897.jpeg
    F7542F8C-6CAF-4EBB-9D63-75CC53140897.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • 43A3EE68-34E7-49CE-95D5-0CFFD01DC923.jpeg
    43A3EE68-34E7-49CE-95D5-0CFFD01DC923.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
Looks like a fair bit of recoverable materials. The wire wrapped pins are nice but a pain to clean the wire from. You also have a good number of top hat transistors, also the black top hats are just shields / heat sinks. Pop those off to find more of the silver capped transistors.

Yes it is a fair bit too much really, I have a total of 200 pounds of just pcbs plus a bunch of those boxes with pins (the pins by the way appear to be one solid color any idea why that is?) It all seems too high grade to sell I don’t feel I would get what it’s worth selling it as boards . I do have something I am willing too sell too someone who knows what it is and appreciates i think it deserves too be saved let me know what you guys think.

Yes it is a fair bit too much really, I have a total of 200 pounds of just pcbs plus a bunch of those boxes with pins (the pins by the way appear to be one solid color any idea why that is?) It all seems too high grade to sell I don’t feel I would get what it’s worth selling it as boards . I do have something I am willing too sell too someone who knows what it is and appreciates i think it deserves too be saved let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• D423ABC5-65B0-4F07-915E-A927F935D3FC.jpeg
    D423ABC5-65B0-4F07-915E-A927F935D3FC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • EBF8FBB6-7FAF-452B-A0DF-67C8C2D3611F.jpeg
    EBF8FBB6-7FAF-452B-A0DF-67C8C2D3611F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Veri nice stuff, i also found some vire strapped pins, it is time consuming to clean but, the pins are gorgeos, my pins are the same color inside and on surface, i presume they are alloy pins and not plated ones. I did'nt refine them yet though.
Heres a picture of my cleaned pins.

Attachments

• 20220331_190902.jpg
    20220331_190902.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220331_190907.jpg
    20220331_190907.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 23
wanted to get some input on what I have here

Pic #1 - if all the boards in the unit look like the two on top - other then the gold plated fingers - they are low grade - cut the fingers off (for processing & throw the rest of the board in you low grade scrap & sell as low grade scrap

pic #2 - the pins on that board "should be" heavy plated - should run "about 2.5 - 3.5 grams per pound

pic #3 - that board is also low grade (to many ceramic chips - which have aluminum bond wires not gold bond wires) - the board to the right of that board is high grade as it is loaded with epoxy chips which have gold bond wires

pic #4 - same as pic #3

pic #5 - also low grade (maybe mid grade - has some tantalum/silver caps & the ceramic disc caps which may (or not) be Ag/Pd ceramic caps

pic #6 - low grade - pull the gold plated pins throw the rest of the board in your low grade scrap

pic #7 - gold plated pins again should be heavy plated (2.5 - 3.5 grams/pound) - its a pain in the butt getting the pins out of the plastic housing

For what it's worth - IMO - fingers are worth cutting off to process - pins are worth pulling to process (though time consuming - epoxy chips are somewhat worth pulling if set up to incinerate/mill/concentrate/leach or smelt --- keep in mind those are prom chips so only run 1/4 (or less) gram per pound --- don't bother with ceramic (prom) chips --- the rest goes in your low/mid grade scrap

Are there other values - yes (like top hats & maybe ceramic disc caps) but certainly not worth chasing when you figure time/chem & waste created cost to chase

Kurt

Sorry, but I disagree wholeheartedly. Every board pictured is mid grade telecom or higher except #6, and if sold with the others, would still go low telecom. Tophats add a lot of weight to a board, but at a refined value similar to BGA's on a much smaller footprint.

Pic #1 - if all the boards in the unit look like the two on top - other then the gold plated fingers - they are low grade - cut the fingers off (for processing & throw the rest of the board in you low grade scrap & sell as low grade scrap

pic #2 - the pins on that board "should be" heavy plated - should run "about 2.5 - 3.5 grams per pound

pic #3 - that board is also low grade (to many ceramic chips - which have aluminum bond wires not gold bond wires) - the board to the right of that board is high grade as it is loaded with epoxy chips which have gold bond wires

pic #4 - same as pic #3

pic #5 - also low grade (maybe mid grade - has some tantalum/silver caps & the ceramic disc caps which may (or not) be Ag/Pd ceramic caps

pic #6 - low grade - pull the gold plated pins throw the rest of the board in your low grade scrap

pic #7 - gold plated pins again should be heavy plated (2.5 - 3.5 grams/pound) - its a pain in the butt getting the pins out of the plastic housing

For what it's worth - IMO - fingers are worth cutting off to process - pins are worth pulling to process (though time consuming - epoxy chips are somewhat worth pulling if set up to incinerate/mill/concentrate/leach or smelt --- keep in mind those are prom chips so only run 1/4 (or less) gram per pound --- don't bother with ceramic (prom) chips --- the rest goes in your low/mid grade scrap

Are there other values - yes (like top hats & maybe ceramic disc caps) but certainly not worth chasing when you figure time/chem & waste created cost to chase

Kurt

pic #4 - same as pic #3

Kurt
All those are very very good boards Pic#5 those brown capacitors are very rich in silver palladium the yield is around 58g per kg

pic #4 - same as pic #3

Kurt
Thank you for your time this response was awesome and I appreciate it

Veri nice stuff, i also found some vire strapped pins, it is time consuming to clean but, the pins are gorgeos, my pins are the same color inside and on surface, i presume they are alloy pins and not plated ones. I did'nt refine them yet though.
Heres a picture of my cleaned pins.
Awesome man when you refine those drop by and let me know what process you decide to use for them

Awesome man when you refine those drop by and let me know what process you decide to use for them
I will deffinitely post here since i am also curious of the results....i will probably layer it down to see the composition of the pins...my guess is brass with a thick plate of gold....but can also be 10kt alloy..(the pins in the picture have a total of 187grams, way too much for the overall volume) who knows...we'll see. :)

I will deffinitely post here since i am also curious of the results....i will probably layer it down to see the composition of the pins...my guess is brass with a thick plate of gold....but can also be 10kt alloy..(the pins in the picture have a total of 187grams, way too much for the overall volume) who knows...we'll see. :)
10kt alloy is that a thing? I found a weird connector piece that is testing 10k with the acid test but it weighs 40 grams and there was two of them on one unit I thought for sure it couldn’t be here you are getting my hopes up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
10kt alloy is that a thing? I found a weird connector piece that is testing 10k with the acid test but it weighs 40 grams and there was two of them on one unit I thought for sure it couldn’t be here you are getting my hopes up
I assume you are talking about the plate with all the holes in it.

Take a file and file deep into that connector piece... I think you'll find that it's gold plated copper/brass.

I don't say it is 10kt alloy, but the source was a connector built by an American company in the 70's, and was used in an analog high precision industrial PLC.(rack with lots of analog boards, the connecting wires were silver plated)

Back