Lead Iodide Mixed in with Gold Precipitate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, and I'm not giving up. I like what I'm doing. I found out I really like chemistry and I'll keep learning. I appreciate the book

And also none of my friends do chemistry or even learn about stuff. So you get excited to talk to some people with the same interest and you get treated like a kid. I'm 37. I realize I jumped in a little fast but this is what I got. No need to call me a hack and dismiss everything Ive done. Sorry about all the posts. I gotta go to work

Yea I just downloaded it. I appreciate it this will help a lot.
Hokes Book is a good place to start

Then start looking for things posted by 4metals - GSP - nickvc - Lou - Harold_V (just to name a few) those are professional refiners that ether ran &/or owned their own LARGE world class refineries

They are (some) of the people I learned from - the result of their teaching me allowed me to go from a hobby (back yard hack) refiner to making a living refining for 10 years

Kurt

No need to call me a hack and dismiss everything Ive done.
I did not call you a hack - rather I said you have been following the advice of hacks

Therefore - because the advice you have been following has been bad advice - that advice needs to be dismissed as such (call it "set aside") until you start getting good advice

It is part of the learning process

The people that taught me did so by first telling me - "what you are doing is wrong" - once I understood that they were able to teach me what was right

Being told I was screwing up was a good thing

I was about 50 years old when I started out - I didn't let being 50 years old get in the way of being told I was screwing up - not when the people teaching me were MUCH smarter then me

Kurt

And also none of my friends do chemistry or even learn about stuff. So you get excited to talk to some people with the same interest and you get treated like a kid. I'm 37. I realize I jumped in a little fast but this is what I got. No need to call me a hack and dismiss everything Ive done. Sorry about all the posts. I gotta go to work
Why do you drag age into this?
Everybody screw up from time to time, but if nobody tells you you have done something wrong (screwed up) and point you in the right direction you will never get anywhere, you might even injure yourself and or others.

~3 to 5 grams good
10kt gold ring (Will not dissolve in Nitric nor AR, needs inquarting)
3lbs of RAM fingers
3 gold pinned processors
3 14kt earring backings (Will not dissolve in Nitric nor AR, needs inquarting)
14kt gold pendant 2 grams (Will not dissolve in Nitric nor AR, needs inquarting)

Boiled in 650ml of hcl and left sit for a week (Nothing wrong about this)
I put in a few drops of h202 because the fingers weren't loosening. (Better use an aquarium air bubbler)
Liquid was green. Tested negative on stannous. (All good)
I removed all the waste and separated all the gold foils. (All good)
I didn't weigh it. 😞 (No problem)
I put the gold scrap in a beaker and added 100ml of hcl and over the course of dropping nitric in added 20mls of nitric. Probably too much.
(Yes too much but no problem that can not be fixed)

So I thought I was good to add smb. Solution tested positive. (This may be ok, for a small surplus)
I forgot to denox. (See previous line)
Added anyway. Added around 8 grams of smb to solution because I remembered there might be free nitric so I thought adding more would take care of that.
Then liquid turned dark coffee brown. (You probably pushed it so the Nitric was spent, and your Gold started to precipitate)
I heated liquid again and it actually cleared up and I had a brown precipitate at the bottom. (Some of your Gold is here)
So I filtered the liquid. I thought there was probably some other metals in the powder so I thought I'd do the process over.
This time though the solution looked more orange than I would have expected.
Saturated Gold solution has a red/orange tone to it, it is a quite beutiful color.
This time only adding 5 grams of smb.
This is when I tried to denox with the sulphuric acid drain cleaner of which I added 80ml. (You can not deNOx with sulfuric acid, you need to use Hot Sulfamic acid, grout cleaner)
Over about 20 or 30 min while heating to help to release any extra nitric acid. Although the second time around I added 100ml of hcl and 15ml of nitric.
When I added the smb to the gold solution it turned brown again.
I let the solution cool and that's when this precipitation started. So I've left it over night and messaged here.
I will comment in bold in the Text

Your crystals might be saturated SMB or any other salts added

Where did the potassium Iodine come into play?

I'll post later, sorry I flipped out. The potassium nitrate came from me trying to make nitric acid before I found the real stuff. However I was only able to make a dilute version. I figure there might still be some potassium in there. Also I figured out where the lead came from I made my own stannous chloride but I used solder with lead. I tested it on known gold solution so it works but I didn't remove the lead. Also when I first started I didn't have a spot plate and I really didn't know any better so I put some drops in the solution itself. I don't do that now. As for safety I wear gloves a respirator and have a workshop with a fume hood that I made. I do appreciate the help, sorry again. I'm at work I'll post later.

I'll post later, sorry I flipped out. The potassium nitrate came from me trying to make nitric acid before I found the real stuff. However I was only able to make a dilute version. I figure there might still be some potassium in there. Also I figured out where the lead came from I made my own stannous chloride but I used solder with lead. I tested it on known gold solution so it works but I didn't remove the lead. Also when I first started I didn't have a spot plate and I really didn't know any better so I put some drops in the solution itself. I don't do that now. As for safety I wear gloves a respirator and have a workshop with a fume hood that I made. I do appreciate the help, sorry again. I'm at work I'll post later.
You did not add the Stannous to the whole solution did you?
Potassium Nitrate and Pottasium Iodide are to completely different animals and do not do the same.
You do NEED to keep track if you chemicals and what they are.
One letter difference may be the difference between failure and success or life and death.

This is what it looks like dry. I took a tiny bit in a test tube and put hcl in it, no reaction. So I added a drop or 2 of nitric and it dissolved. Solution tested positive but, there was a tiny white crumb left that would not dissolve. I'm reading that book you guys gave me. I'm still wondering if I should boil in hcl or sulphuric acid to get out impurity.

Attachments

• 16717722639078376055797199785309.jpg
    16717722639078376055797199785309.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Potassium Nitrate and Pottasium Iodide are to completely different animals and do not do the same.
One letter difference may be the difference between failure and success or life and death.
Yea know I had it confused, i wish I could change the title.

And yes originally i did add to entire solution. I quit doing that though. Probably added 3 drops total of stannous.

And yes originally i did add to entire solution. I quit doing that though. Probably added 3 drops total of stannous.
That will create Gold colloids that never settle, it is what gives the color.
I don't know how much a couple of drops will bind up.
But the only thing that get it back is to redissolve it.

This is what it looks like dry. I took a tiny bit in a test tube and put hcl in it, no reaction. So I added a drop or 2 of nitric and it dissolved. Solution tested positive but, there was a tiny white crumb left that would not dissolve. I'm reading that book you guys gave me. I'm still wondering if I should boil in hcl or sulphuric acid to get out impurity.
I would not worry about the white crumb.
It is not Gold or other PMs.

Back