Lead/silver dore refining.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Brown

Given a supply of a lead silver dore with some zinc. Is there an easy thermal means of turning the 10% silver into 90+% silver? I was initially thinking of heating with added zinc to get the silver into zinc solution I don't want to vapourise the zinc off as toxic fumes, Can I possibly cupel the zinc out into cement?

Is there a better way of separating the silver out of dore in 1 - 10 kilo batches. Given the location I could even consider a solar electrolysis method.

My desired product is silver at about sterling purity, and maybe some cheap lead.

A/P would turn mix to chlorides. Heating will dissolve lead chloride and leave solid AgCl. AgCl with NaOH will give meltable Ag2O

Melt and add zinc. Spoon off the dross, mindful of the fumes. The silver is in the dross. Now melt the dross in a cupel and let remaining lead/zinc vaporize off or get adsorbed into the cupel.

Or google Parkes Process.

The way I've seen the parkes process demonstrated ended up losing the zinc as vapour which don't want to breathe.

Back