Looking for tin!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rreyes097,

The PCB you showed seems to be from the ‘80s or ‘90s.
Until about year 2000, most solder was an alloy 60% tin (Sn) and 40% lead (Pb).
Check out eBay for tin-powder or tin-granules.

Go to the nearest electrical stuff like shop and ask for a "lead free solder". Ideally you can find flux free variant, if not, flux-cored stuff isn´t that bad and flux generally remain solid.
Look for the highest tin content one. Few % of silver does not matter really.

I have round shot in the bottom of my stainless steel bowl from burning bottom of bga chips. I was going to use that to make some Stannous Chloride. Should I not do that?
Without knowing for sure where the solder came from.
I can guess that there might be dissolved minute amounts of gold in the tin.
It will give the Stannous a slightly purple hue.
The Stannous should work anyway, at least for our main purpose.

I'd love some input to this.
Regards Per-Ove

You can try it with a known sample of gold chloride solution.

I would rather use a known stannous solution with the known gold solution as test reagents.

Known solutions or reagents would be more important for someone who is not used to using these tests or who was used to seeing the different colored reactions or who was trying to determine what the tests were showing them as a visual indicator.

When you are working with a known metal or substance you will gain a better overall understanding of its reactions physically or chemically. Then you will learn from working with unknowns, especially if you do not know what to expect, to begin with.

It's a simple thing to get some tin if your serious you will easily find it.

Listen to Butcher.
If you use the used tin, the colours may or may not be skewed so the result may differ somewhat from what is expected.

Tin is everywhere around us.
Some use pewter, get some at a thrift shop, or buy a roll of lead free solder, it will last a "lifetime" Or lead free fishing weights.
The list goes on and on.
Regards Per-Ove.

Try www.mcmaster.com. Tin is used in bearings for a variety of uses and alloys. I don't know where you are located, so a search for "babbit metals " will give you a bunch of hits. Look for the pure tin . Last time I bought some for an old jaw crusher, I bought 100 lbs. Still have 30 lbs left. Needless to say, tin is not an issue for me. If others are experiencing a hard time getting some, let me know. I might recast some into smaller portions if the need is there. How much would suit people for their needs? I am thinking a 2 -3 oz. ribbon. Would only sell in the US.

Try www.mcmaster.com. Tin is used in bearings for a variety of uses and alloys. I don't know where you are located, so a search for "babbit metals " will give you a bunch of hits. Look for the pure tin . Last time I bought some for an old jaw crusher, I bought 100 lbs. Still have 30 lbs left. Needless to say, tin is not an issue for me. If others are experiencing a hard time getting some, let me know. I might recast some into smaller portions if the need is there. How much would suit people for their needs? I am thinking a 2 -3 oz. ribbon. Would only sell in the US.
I'll be making only small amounts of stannous chloride (maybe 5 mls), since I only have space to do a few beakers of recovery solutions at a time. 2-3 ounces would likely be perfect and last me a while.

It is handy to have tin around. Also on Aliexpress, you can buy granulated tin for relatively OK price.
I never had issue with tin, as you can purchase it here in nearly every electro-shop :) leaded solder or lead-free solder. Both of them available, also in small 10g rolls, which are handy for making stannous. That bit of silver, copper or antimony, which is present in lead-free tin do not disturb the sensitivity or specificity of the test.

OK. Still looking for some input on quantities desired. If I overkill the quantity, shipping will be higher, and less people may get some product.
2-3 oz of ribbon is perfect for me. I only need small volumes of solution at a time, just 5mls every few months. 2-3oz of tin will last quite a while.

Back