Massive amount of silver in conn 721

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob666

yesterday I scrapped a conn 721 and the busbars turned out to be solid silver and you probably won't believe how many grams they all came out to be. When I sold them yesterday I had 765 grams of silver attached is a picture of the percentage and a baggie of leftovers im taking in tomorrow there is 76 grams there. Sorry I can't upload pics because of low memory on phone

yesterday I scrapped a conn 721 and the busbars turned out to be solid silver and you probably won't believe how many grams they all came out to be. When I sold them yesterday I had 765 grams of silver attached is a picture of the percentage and a baggie of leftovers im taking in tomorrow there is 76 grams there. Sorry I can't upload pics because of low memory on phone
If I’m reading this right you harvested 765 grams out of that organ?

I may need to put those on my list of recoverable organs.

You should because the amount is actually higher it was over 800 grams. I sold the rest earlier and the silver percentage was at 97.something percent pure.thats over 25 Troy ounces I just now picked up a yamaha FS-200 electone. Can anybody tell me if there is anything good in them

My only experience is with hammonds really. I did a whirlitzer that had a bunch of gold legged plastic transistors But after learning a bit more I wouldn’t do another. Those little black capped ones don’t hold much AU. Takes thousands to really tally up very well.

Yeah unless you javea ton of any of that stuff you won't make anything my experience is also with Hammonds that 99.9% palladium strip is real nice when you scrape it off but I've also come across more than a couple times busbars that are a solid alloy of silver and palladium 50/50 and I made more with those

....oh really? I find that to be very interesting. Did your conn 721 happen to look anything like this one? This organ has been advertised for free on craigslist for over a month now. There is no model number given, but I can see the name "CONN" on the left side of the organ in the picture. It's only 4-5 miles away from my house. I was thinking about picking it up, but I read somewhere that other organs besides the Hammond organ don't have much PM's inside. I'm glad to hear that isn't accurate. Perhaps the author of the post was suggesting that palladium, only, can't be found in other organs. I recently scrapped out an older Hammond organ (with color plastic knobs), and found some of that palladium wire on the keys. It wasn't a large amount, but it was a fun scrap. If there is a possibility of a crap-ton of silver inside this organ, I'm going to go grab it!

Thanks
mike

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220522-090554_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-090554_Chrome.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 26
You should because the amount is actually higher it was over 800 grams. I sold the rest earlier and the silver percentage was at 97.something percent pure.thats over 25 Troy ounces I just now picked up a yamaha FS-200 electone. Can anybody tell me if there is anything good in them
We have several breakdowns of Yamaha Electones as well as most all other organ brands and models, in GEO's Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GeoMetals/?ref=share

Hello and thank you Christian. I opened the link, but it looks like you have to be a member of Facebook to access the group. Alas, I have never joined Facebook, so I will not be able to check it out. Maby I'll look at it on my wife's computer;). I'm still wondering if I should go grab that organ!

Hello and thank you Christian. I opened the link, but it looks like you have to be a member of Facebook to access the group. Alas, I have never joined Facebook, so I will not be able to check it out. Maby I'll look at it on my wife's computer;). I'm still wondering if I should go grab that organ!
You would not be disappointed, I've never heard anyone express disappointment with Conn brand and that one looks old. I wish I could tell you exactly which precious metals where involved with the contacts and bus bars, most members have not tested. 😳

You would not be disappointed, I've never heard anyone express disappointment with Conn brand and that one looks old. I wish I could tell you exactly which precious metals where involved with the contacts and bus bars, most members have not tested. 😳
Thanks Christian. I have contacted the person, and hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow. I'll post pics if it happens.

Well, 2 slipped disks and 1 hernia later... My goodness, I can't believe how much this organ weighs. My buddy and I really could have used those "as seen on tv" forearm forklift straps for this move. The thing has to weigh 300+ pounds. I have it home & I am starting to break it down now. If you don't mind, I'll post some pictures in your thread here, as I break it down. I'm hoping you (and anyone else) can help me identify any components worth keeping.

Attachments

• 20220525_152633.jpg
    20220525_152633.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 25
Well, 2 slipped disks and 1 hernia later... My goodness, I can't believe how much this organ weighs. My buddy and I really could have used those "as seen on tv" forearm forklift straps for this move. The thing has to weigh 300+ pounds. I have it home & I am starting to break it down now. If you don't mind, I'll post some pictures in your thread here, as I break it down. I'm hoping you (and anyone else) can help me identify any components worth keeping.

Grab the pop corn fellas.... we have a breakdown happening.

If it’s anything like the hammonds I’ve done you’ll have eleventy million flat head screws to deal with.

Lots & lots of flat head screws. No star bit so far. I don't see any big, fat silver bars anywhere in here, but I do see some kind of long pins that look golden at the tips. From the inspector's mark, it looks like this thing was being built in the summer of 1976.

Attachments

• 20220525_231309.jpg
    20220525_231309.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 20220525_185523.jpg
    20220525_185523.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 20220525_175555.jpg
    20220525_175555.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
The placard says it's a Model: 552 Type: 001 and this thing is very different from the Hammond I scrapped earlier this year. For one, the Hammond had large ic chips on large boards. This organ has no ic chips anywhere, that I've found so far. The Conn also has mechanically actuated switches connected with cables sheathed in a tube- it reminded me of bicycle hand brakes. There are many switches with steel reeds that have silver contacts on them, but the tiny silver (I'm guessing it's silver) contacts are much smaller than I found on the Hammond. I tried to point them out in the picture.

I got the top half broken down so far; I'll get the lower (back) torn apart tomorrow. Here's some pics of the demo process so far.

Attachments

• 20220525_235334.jpg
    20220525_235334.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20220525_235253.jpg
    20220525_235253.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 20220525_235138.jpg
    20220525_235138.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
  • 20220525_235216.jpg
    20220525_235216.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 46
  • 20220525_223921.jpg
    20220525_223921.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44
  • 20220525_145209.jpg
    20220525_145209.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 37
Lots & lots of flat head screws. No star bit so far. I don't see any big, fat silver bars anywhere in here, but I do see some kind of long pins that look golden at the tips. From the inspector's mark, it looks like this thing was being built in the summer of 1976.
Wow thats them!!! I assure you that those bus bars are 97% silver I have the picture from the assay gun. I don't know if thats the proper term but its a gun that will identify every metal to a percentage and when I had them tested I was very surprised. I tried to post the picture with my post but my phones memory is full and wouldn't let me if you have messenger get a hold of me Robert Delgado (copperman) and I will show you. What model is that I am supposed to go look at one from 1971 and im trying to figure out if its the same. I keep seeing people saying its silver plate but I assure you its not its solid I got over $400 for mine good job on getting that and you did so because of my post huh thats cool as bell

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture with your hand on the bars 175555jpg those are the silver buss bars they have a plastic covering and a black strip running through them all together there is over 25 ounces of silver there let me know how it goes for you

You did good with it do you see the silver buss bars yet? You will have to take the plastic off and they have a black strip running down them you are holding them in the picture with the smaller wires with gold tips making contact with them. How's the weight on that crazy huh I had to dismantle the one I got right there because there was no way I was lifting it you just made yourself a little over $400 in silver though

Omg its driving me crazy you are touching the silver bars in that picture let me know what you get from it. I love this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back