melting foils

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldsilverpro said:
teclu,

Someone mentioned some Russian pins awhile back that had silver plating underneath the gold. I ran some very high-grade (1 tr.oz. of gold/pound) pins from the 30s or 40s that had the same. The problem with this is that, eventually, the silver will migrate up through the gold and will form tarnish on the gold surface. For this reason, I don't think this combination is used any longer, at least in the U.S. I have never run across pins plated with a gold/silver alloy. I used to work for a large company that sold at least 100 (maybe, 200) different varieties of gold plating baths. We had a gold/silver bath on the list but, I don't ever remember our selling any of it.

GSP,

It is true, the Russian pins, fabricated approximately 'till the 80's, contain gold between 4% and 10% from the total mass, that is between 40 grams and 100 grams/1 kilo pins. The silver is present under the gold layer, not in the gold alloy.

teclu

patnor1011 said:
I am sure that this is question for Dimitry.

patnor Hi,

What I said about russian pins is a statement not a question for someone.
Someday, I'll make pictures with my russian connectors and maybe with all my NOS products for refining too.

thats ok...
he is from there and has contacts in industry so he can clarify if thats correct or not. is not that amazing that we have people here on board from all over the world? very good for getting all sort of informations...

Latest posts

Back