Member introduction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluestreak

Hello,

My name is Jonathan. I have the bug. It all started when I was watching some refining youtube videos. I started recycling aluminum cans, then I started harvesting copper from old TV's I found in the woods and from wires. The patience and the interest is well established and I think I found my niche. I have a real part time job so this has just been fun so far but I would like to turn it into a part time business.

I have been acquiring sterling scrap as well as some 14k scrap below spot. I also harvested two computers. So far I think I am doing it correctly. The ultimate goal is to acquire enough processors and ram sticks to make the purchase of the chemicals worthwhile. I have some crucibles and I want to build a refractory cast furnace which I hope to power with waste oil (or propane) Eventually I want to build a brick furnace fueled with firewood. The end result will hopefully be a home garage silver and gold refinery. I studied a fair amount of chemistry in college so I understand most of the principles behind the use of the chemicals, electrolytic cell, inquarting etc...but I have a lot of home schooling to do before I can contemplate a pour. :)

Here are the processors, foils, etc I have so far (I just started collecting):

Pentium_on_right.png

processors.png

gold_bearing_parts.png

I guess my biggest question for the membership is: Am I starting out on the right track? and What is the logical next step once I have acquired sufficient materials to justify the cost of processing. So far I have paid nothing for the materials but I think its reasonable to pay between $1 to $5 USD for an old CPU (not celeron)

What say you?

Btw: I really enjoy this site; the learning process has already begun and thanks in advance for any comments.

keep collecting and sorting. it takes on average 100-150 desktop computers to be an ounce of gold. but in that same amount will be (values are approximate) 5 OZT of silver, 2 OZT of palladium not to mention close to a ton of steel, 150 pounds of aluminum and 50 pounds of copper. i pay $5 apiece for whole towers that include HHD and processor. the more parts missing, the less you pay unless your buying in lots. never turn down freebies, even if you have to throw it away because they may give you something of value later.

dont touch any chemicals until you read the safety section and the guided tour.download and read C.M.Hoke's book "refining precious metal waste". http://tinyurl.com/mfnyhs

follow her teachings and do the starting processes and test to get acquainted with the chemicals used and how to use them.

good luck.

Thanks again,

The avatar seemed logical so I guess I will stick with it. This all started when I went digging in other people's garbage a couple weeks ago. I now have about fifteen pounds of copper and another ten pounds of aluminum, steel, etc in bins with which to fund some startup costs.

Before I go any further with the old Gateway I am tearing up, I want to be sure I am not throwing away other parts that may contain Pd, etc. Somewhere it was said (paraphrasing) to pluck out anything that looked like gold. Instead of taking my time, I went with the KISS principle and I fear I may have lost some Pd.

I found a gold colored winding in the hard drive but I am not sure if its a foil or some other metal that looks like gold. The winding looks similar to the multiple windings one finds in an old VHS player. I believe its part of the reader.

CD_drive_winding.jpg

Gold foils or no?

I am going to get up to speed and dig for some answers. I am sure they are here on the forum. The advice on the book is good advice. Is the free link to the manuals the same content of the book?

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Jon

i have some of the same material.ive been meaning to do some experimenting with it but havent gotten around to it.if you find any information on this, please post it here.

"Gold foils or no?"

That looks like from a HDD read arm....not gold foil. Scratch it and you will see a silvery color under the yellow. Likely aluminum.

Welcome to the forum, Jon!

Bluestreak said:
I found a gold colored winding in the hard drive but I am not sure if its a foil or some other metal that looks like gold. The winding looks similar to the multiple windings one finds in an old VHS player. I believe its part of the reader.

Gold foils or no?
That is the "voice coil" from the hard disk, it is either made of copper or aluminum wire with a thin insulation. Scrat the surface and you would see the red or white colour. As it is so pale I would guess on aluminum with a yellow transparent insulator.

/Göran

Back