Metalic catalytic converters

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayf

Hello guys, i got few kilograms of the metallic catalytic converter (MCC) which i think they are stainless steel similar to the one in the photo, i analyzed them using an XRF machine and the reslut was 5 grams of Pd and 0.35 grams of Rh per kilogram of MCC
As am planning to leach the palladium using hot concentrated nitric acid i think the rhodium will be untouched
So guys do you have any tips to recover rhodium or a better method to recover the both metals
Thank you
regards

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221208-135048.jpg
    Screenshot_20221208-135048.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 1
Hello guys, i got few kilograms of the metallic catalytic converter (MCC) which i think they are stainless steel similar to the one in the photo, i analyzed them using an XRF machine and the reslut was 5 grams of Pd and 0.35 grams of Rh per kilogram of MCC
As am planning to leach the palladium using hot concentrated nitric acid i think the rhodium will be untouched
So guys do you have any tips to recover rhodium or a better method to recover the both metals
Thank you
regards
I have done one of these, some years ago.
I dissolved the structure in HCl and then leached the remaining wash coat.
It took a long time and about 5L of acids if I remember correctly.
I ended up with around 100 grams of wash coat. Much easier to treat 100 grams of powder than a full cat.
But it took time and created a lot of waste.

For Rhodium, if you keep the full metal cat it will be hard I think.
Rhodium can be fused with Sodium Peroxide, Sodium Sulfate or other suitable salts or dissolved in fairly concentrated Sulfuric acid and Salt.

I ended up with around 100 grams of wash coat. Much easier to treat 100 grams of powder than a full cat.

Rhodium can be fused with Sodium Peroxide, Sodium Sulfate or other suitable salts or dissolved in fairly concentrated Sulfuric acid and Salt.
If i correctly understand you, you dissolved the stainless steel structure with HCL and dealt with the remaining undissolved powder which should contain the PGMs , but doesnt the palladium partially or totally dissolve in HCL too with long time? and if oxiginated with time it will also dissolve part of the rhodium since rhodium is soluble in chlorine gas ?

If i correctly understand you, you dissolved the stainless steel structure with HCL and dealt with the remaining undissolved powder which should contain the PGMs , but doesnt the palladium partially or totally dissolve in HCL too with long time? and if oxiginated with time it will also dissolve part of the rhodium since rhodium is soluble in chlorine gas ?
Some will dissolve, but that is solved by the stock pot.
I do not think Rhodium is soluble in Chlorine gas in appreciable amount at least.
No need to bubble air through the HCl during this.
If you have plenty of Nitric you can go your way, I did not when I did this.
Rhodium "needs" to be fused as described or with hot strong Sulfuric and Salt.
That will be hard when the cat is whole.

I do not think Rhodium is soluble in Chlorine gas in appreciable amount at least.
With PGMs, you will slice it whatever you will do. Pd is somewhat soluble in hydrochloric acid upon prolonged heating, in vessel open to air. Rhodium will also dissolve to some degree, but much much less than Pd. It would be wise to reduce all possible PdO present to palladium metal by heating the cat in reducing atmosphere (putting it into the graphite crucible and let it be reduced by CO created from carbon and air). Otherwise, some Pd will be always left as resistant PdO. By smelting route, you obviate this issue.

Using a small hydraulic press placed the foil onto a sheet then deformed the foil in several directions the wash coat then falls out, another method used was to place the canister in an electrolyte as the anode then plate out some of the metal undermining the wash coat.

My home made ultrasonic tank fitted with four 100 watt 28 Mhz transducers worked on foils but they eventually have to be turned end for end as the cavitation bubbles produced at this frequency are fairly large and will not penetrate full length foils.

Used the tank on comb after leaching, thought the ultrasonic would destroy the comb, turns out the comb is a soft material that absorbs the shock.from acoustics.

Once added a couple of drops of dish soap to the water in the ultra sonic tank big mistake, made an unbelievable amount of foam.

Using a small hydraulic press placed the foil onto a sheet then deformed the foil in several directions the wash coat then falls out, another method used was to place the canister in an electrolyte as the anode then plate out some of the metal undermining the wash coat.

My home made ultrasonic tank fitted with four 100 watt 28 Mhz transducers worked on foils but they eventually have to be turned end for end as the cavitation bubbles produced at this frequency are fairly large and will not penetrate full length foils.

Used the tank on comb after leaching, thought the ultrasonic would destroy the comb, turns out the comb is a soft material that absorbs the shock.from acoustics.

Once added a couple of drops of dish soap to the water in the ultra sonic tank big mistake, made an unbelievable amount of foam.
I do not understand why you write this: it is failed attempt?
, can you explain a little more in detail?

With PGMs, you will slice it whatever you will do. Pd is somewhat soluble in hydrochloric acid upon prolonged heating, in vessel open to air. Rhodium will also dissolve to some degree, but much much less than Pd. It would be wise to reduce all possible PdO present to palladium metal by heating the cat in reducing atmosphere (putting it into the graphite crucible and let it be reduced by CO created from carbon and air). Otherwise, some Pd will be always left as resistant PdO. By smelting route, you obviate this issue.
Will smelting be feasible for metal matrix cats?
Quite a lot of metal to smelt.

I do not understand why you write this: it is failed attempt?
, can you explain a little more in detail?
I can’t find this text in the post you replied to?
Did you intend to reply to another post, or do I need one more set of glasses?😳

Will smelting be feasible for metal matrix cats?
Quite a lot of metal to smelt.
It depends. If you can enrich the stuff by taking off the layer, then you proceed with it. If there is nothing to do with it and metals are tightly bond to the steel surface, yes, you smelt it. Also depends on the matrix heavily - if it is predominantly iron, you can melt it all down and electrorefine the metal. If you tune the potential (voltage), you can easily achieve very good separation of PGMs to anode slimes (potential of Fe roughly -0,44, Pd around 0,8V). But to be honest, it does not work well on many occasions.
But I must admit, we have done batches of powdered catalytic materials on Fe2O3 and various other oxides (Al, Cr, Ni etc.), where PGMs were present at less than 1wt% quantities. And this is very painful. Slaging iron oxides at this scale (one 25kg bag and more) is practically non viable option... Very very difficult to process. Eventually, we somehow managed to get it done by combination of scorification, smelting and collector metal collecting the metallic fraction, but it was such a pain. Leaching was also an option, but very nasty retention of PGMs on matrix was observed. Theoretically 3 leaching and thorough washing cycles were needed to achieve more than 90% recovery.

When you mention hot concentrated sulfuric and salt, are you referring to sodium chloride? Does that not create toxic hydrogen chloride gas? If you were looking for a gram or two of rhodium to dissolve, how much sodium chloride would you add per liter of sulfuric? Thank you and I appreciate your insights.

Last edited:

Could you please elaborate on your example of rhodium dissolution with sodium peroxide, since it is a base, wouldn’t this neutralize your acid? Also could you explain the reaction with sodium sulfate, as it would create sulfuric acid when mixed with hydrochloric acid. Is hcl and sulfuric acid mixed with chlorine a good idea for rhodium dissolution?

When you mention hot concentrated sulfuric and salt, are you referring to sodium chloride? Does that not create toxic hydrogen chloride gas? If you were looking for a gram or two of rhodium to dissolve, how much sodium chloride would you add per liter of sulfuric? Thank you and I appreciate your insights.
If you do not work with PGM salts regularily and have a dedicated lab and safety gear for it, I do not recommend dissolving them.
Better use a collector metal and smelt them, copper will manage this.
Could you please elaborate on your example of rhodium dissolution with sodium peroxide, since it is a base, wouldn’t this neutralize your acid? Also could you explain the reaction with sodium sulfate, as it would create sulfuric acid when mixed with hydrochloric acid. Is hcl and sulfuric acid mixed with chlorine a good idea for rhodium dissolution?
Sodium Peroxide is not used for dissolving the Rhodium.
It is fused which means you mix the peroxide and metals powder intimately and then melt the salt.metal mixture.
This converts the Rhodium to a salt form that easily can be dissolved.
Same with Sodium Sulfate

Back