Milled Quartz - Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for Lino1406.

After ashing the activated carbon filter used for the NaCn leach, was left with a grey powder, I then used a weak hot sulfuric acid to clean out any base metals. Then after rinsing and roasting the grey powder turned brown.

Now the brown powder is in an acid peroxide leach and the liquor has the color of palladium, tomorrow I'll make up some fresh stannous.

What I'm most curious about is why the gray powder turned brown after roasting.

Question for Lino1406.

After ashing the activated carbon filter used for the NaCn leach, was left with a grey powder, I then used a weak hot sulfuric acid to clean out any base metals. Then after rinsing and roasting the grey powder turned brown.

Now the brown powder is in an acid peroxide leach and the liquor has the color of palladium, tomorrow I'll make up some fresh stannous.

What I'm most curious about is why the gray powder turned brown after roasting.
I now know what the grey powder is.

A flame test revealed its identity.

Had not done any work on this project since the beginning of winter, yesterday was a nice warm day.

I had used granulated zinc to cement out the values from the cyanide leach. After cementing was left with the granules which I had left untouched over the winter months.

Yesterday added some hydrochloric acid to dissolve the zinc and was left with what looked like white icing sugar.

Hot reagent grade nitric had no effect on the white granules, then after adding some hydrochloric acid I now have what you see in the image below.

I shut the stove off and there's still a lot of the granules left on the bottom. using wheel weights marked as zinc. It's very possible a couple of lead weights were mistakenly added.

Lead(II) chloride.

Time to mix up some stannious.

platinum.jpg

Last edited:
Back