muriatic acid/home made nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
randydnesselrotte1 said:
the drain cleaners had the metabisulfite the bonide stumpout done the same thing but it all had copper in it still but the gold dropped with it now i understand nitric acit is sposed to be the only thing that disolve copper so i made the nitric used it filtered out im hoping the copper and dropped out with the lye ill melt it down today or tomorrow and see if its sellable now and stannous i tried to make but wouldnt disolve the tin

Can you structure your sentencing a little better? You have jumbled it all into one large mess. And if you are trying to recover your gold like your writing. Please Stop.
Hopes, wishes, and throwing a bunch of stuff together is going to get you hurt. Any amount of gold there isnt worth your health. Nitric, and lye and a flame. Theres a lot of serious things you are playing with.

Well, Randy, aside from irrational exuberance and zero practical experience, one of your problems is reliance on 911metalurgist for direction. Perhaps it is the stroke talking, but I have found that many threads there, including the one you linked to, contain far too much misinformation that no one bothers to correct.

Also, which drain cleaner contains, as a primary ingredient, sodium metabisulfite? Just curious.

Time for more coffee.

Sodium Metabisulfite is NOT listed as an ingredient on any of their products, nor is it listed on any of their Safety Data Sheets. Most of their products do contain Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, or both.

Again, which drain cleaner contains, as a primary ingredient, Sodium Metabisulfite? Hint: Correct answer is none.

Time for more coffee.

so when cleaning the gold dirt with clean muriatic acid which is the gold and which is the other metals,,. i added fresh muriatic started turning dark with a light colored sedement in bottom this is muriatic/nitric dropped with lye and cleaned with fresh muriatic

Why are you attempting to precipitate gold from solution with Sodium Hydroxide?

Time for more coffee.

because it drops
instead of heckling me about it mf im here explainin my fkn problems in hopes of help so help me, i dont need the bs, its wat im tryn to escape,... thank you and god bless you all

acpeacemaker said:
randydnesselrotte1 said:
the drain cleaners had the metabisulfite the bonide stumpout done the same thing but it all had copper in it still but the gold dropped with it now i understand nitric acit is sposed to be the only thing that disolve copper so i made the nitric used it filtered out im hoping the copper and dropped out with the lye ill melt it down today or tomorrow and see if its sellable now and stannous i tried to make but wouldnt disolve the tin

Can you structure your sentencing a little better? You have jumbled it all into one large mess. And if you are trying to recover your gold like your writing. Please Stop.
Hopes, wishes, and throwing a bunch of stuff together is going to get you hurt. Any amount of gold there isnt worth your health. Nitric, and lye and a flame. Theres a lot of serious things you are playing with.

yes i understand nitric is explosive when heated, and no i have everything dropped out of the muriatic bleach solution now im trying to remove the copper from the droppings with the muriatic and nitric im asking for help so.......the only thing other then muriatic and nitric in my solution is the drops from the bleach solution and they are fairly dry when placed in the nitric solution

It will work. But only when gold is the only metal in solution. Your description thus far indicates a mix of metals in solution, with no evidence of you having tested this solution for presence of gold. Adding sodium hydroxide will cause nearly all metals present to precipitate as hydroxides of those metals. This puts you back to square one: recovery of gold.

Follow standard procedures, and your results will be similar. Make up your own procedures, especially when inexperienced, and your results will show that, also.

Please use real words, not abbreviations. This forum is international in scope, with many members using translation programs to communicate.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question. What is the advantage of using sodium hydroxide over sodium metabisulfite, copperas, sulfur dioxide gas, or ascorbic acid?

Time for more coffee.

Edit: Using Sodium Hydroxide to drop gold from solution is something I read when I dug into the idea. I have never used the method due to also having read that nearly every other metal in the same solution will also be precipitated as hydroxides of those metals. Why make one mess out of another. Better, more selective methods are easily available.

Regarding your temporary suspension, Randy, I have found that people who are lazy with language are lazy in many aspects of their lives. Clean up the language, and you will likely clean up your attitude toward metals recovery and refining.

Again, time for more coffee.

randydnesselrotte1 said:
because it drops
instead of heckling me about it mf im here explainin my fkn problems in hopes of help so help me, i dont need the bs, its wat im tryn to escape,... thank you and god bless you all

Hello sir.

Galenrog is a much better man than myself, because if you would have hurled those abbreviated slurs at me, I wouldve said nothing further and let you die a slow death from your own rushed mishandling of dangerous things, as well as your refusal to take constructive words in the spirit in which they are being offered. -as help. The reason why a certain chemical is suggested (for precipitation or dissolution) is because it is a tried and true method, used for years and years. What you are doing, sounds more like how I treat my waste solution than refining.. but what do I know.

And, by the way (..That's 'btw', to/for you)
God said:
Treat others how you want to be treated

Now, I'm no jesus type, but I think it goes something like that.
I'll have to look that one up though..
Maybe I'll get back to your before you're smited by the almighty banhammer

randydnesselrotte1 said:
because it drops

An additude and language like that will only result in a BAN!!

Muriatic does not dissolve copper!

Nitric acid is not combustible! you need a combustible material to have an explosion. Some nitrate compounds however... but which? So what do you actually know, or do you think you know?

May i suggest to apologize and try again in a civilized manner...
Thanks for the blessings anyway.

And treat others with the respect you expect, please.

Martijn.

Randy is nearing the end of a one week timeout. Perhaps this time will be used for a little reflection. Perhaps not. I wish him well.

Time for more coffee.

Back