My Au solution is dropping while on the hot pad

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bklopsy

Supporting Member
Finally

After having the most diffilcult time as a Noob,three boilings, multiple filterings, lots of Urea and lots of precipitant, the eye candy is dropping as I type. The question is do I take it off the heat now (7:55 EST). It has reduced about a quarter in volume from when I started boiling it about an hour ago. The complete solution is dark brown and under slight boil

Looking for suggestions

Cut back the heat to the point that your brown gold powder will settle and test the solution with stannic acid to be sure it is barren of gold.

Ok, everyone heard it, this is now the official “Brooks” post. I was getting dizzy.

That sounds like you still have an oxidizer in there, but let it settle and test the solution with stannic acid. As Harold likes to say “stannic becomes your eyes into your solution”. Even those with great experience test their solutions to be sure they are barren.

Barren Realms 007 said:
Are you 100% positive about that OZ? :twisted:

Nope! But I for one will no longer reply to his other threads on this subject.

I transferred dropped solution into another container for overnight settling. I found gold powder baked on bottom of beaker and am unable to free with sprayer.

I would like to further reduce my second solution batch that is already dilluted with water. Would it be safe to assume that the baked on gold powder would dissolve itself in next solution. Looking for suggestions

it could dissolve in next solution but, I would add a (very) little HCl/bleach, a little heat, to get stuck powder and wash this to clean jar, process next batch seperate. (it would be good idea to reprocess these powders for purity).

What is the best method of competely drying gold after the washes. I am familiar with drying in the beaker over low heat and shaking method but what technique best removes the majority of water so I dont have to spend as much time standing over beaker?

Latest posts

Back