My results of specific types of IC chips, flatpacks and BGA

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a helluva thread, finally done reading. I loved it.
There's only two things I think I could add.
1- After reading and thinking about the fiber wool problem in pcbs, no idea if feasible or it works but google says sodium hydroxide would get rid of it.
2- When there's a small amount of gold you want to recover from say the 5kg of copper, wouldn't it be better to melt it into a ingot and do electrolysis instead of dealing with so much waste and work?

Btw regarding telecom board chips, I got ahold of a few more boards of the kind, and i'm fairly baffled, out of 4 devices i opened i stumbled upon 4 different kinds of boards all with different and amazing looking chips, some aren't gold flashed/plated like the ones i shown long ago but silver and at the same time it had more processors and stuff, i might motivate tomorrow and take some pics and upload to the thread i started, this thread got me really excited about processing chips alone eventho i'm certain the boards have quite a bit of gold and what not themselves.

I'm tired of waiting and pilling up so I will sort the chips and get some nitrate and share results in a hopefully close future.

Last edited:
Hello again everyone,

First of all I'd like to thank the OP @Tzoax for your tremendous work and contribution in correlation to this thread. Your time, effort, energy and the intricate detailed information posted by you to enhance our knowledge here is priceless and I along with others hope to see you back soon.

I do have many questions but I'll save them for later on, for the time being, below mentioned is a type of chip that I'm about to acquire but the seller wants me to give him the best price. I went through this post for processing IC chip clarification ( after patnor, kurtak remaining) and found the chip encircled in red close to what I am being given. I haven't ever done these but unfortunately I couldn't quite find the correct data for recovery in the pdf that I've attached with this post too. As far as I understand and please correct me if I'm wrong, based on the earlier experiments by the OP, that I can quote a price based on the average as mentioned? Or if someone out there has actually done these can provide a direct number for a better yield prospect hence giving a fair quote up ahead.

From left,

XILINX 1 and 2 are being sold, seller asks for price.
XILINX 3 is what I found in of the posts.

PS. does the speed mean anything in recovery? The speed mentioned on his chip is 15 C and the one I've posted is 7 C.

Thanks in advance.
Did you purchase and process those items? Can you provide a yield on those IC`s?

Pete.

Did you purchase and process those items? Can you provide a yield on those IC`s?

Pete.
Hello Pete,

No I couldn't purchase these at all. The seller asked for a rate, I gave him my quote based on the yield mentioned in this thread earlier.

He prolonged his intention to sell and eventually stopped replying. Like I mentioned it in another post, it sadly is very hard to buy scrap in my country if you're not part of a lobby. :(

1- After reading and thinking about the fiber wool problem in pcbs, no idea if feasible or it works but google says sodium hydroxide would get rid of it.
Per the bold print - that is the glass fiber (fiberglass) in the fiber board part of BGA chips (not the black epoxy part of the chip) so no - sodium hydroxide will not get rid of it - its glass

Not sure what your google search is talking about but I suspect it is talking about using sodium hydroxide to get rid of "solder masking" - a coating found on the "surface" of circuit boards
2- When there's a small amount of gold you want to recover from say the 5kg of copper, wouldn't it be better to melt it into a ingot and do electrolysis instead of dealing with so much waste and work?
Yes that is most certainly one way to deal with it - it's an incineration process followed by a smelting process followed by an electrolytic cell (like a silver cell only a copper cell) --- much less chem waste & the process used by the BIG BOYS in processing LARGE volumes of PM recovery from circuit boards

Kurt

Alguien aquí dijo que simplemente lo dejaron afuera en el clima y lo dejaron oxidarse, después de unos años la madre naturaleza desapareció la mayor parte.
Límpielo y revíselo de vez en cuando.
Sorry for my Google Translate English.

I am making my first contribution to this forum, since seeing this message, I remember a friend who told me that he took some pins that had been in AP for a day into a bucket (the AP container broke or there was some problem and he put them away). remove), and within a week they were so rusty that they broke.
I wonder if soaking the pins in AP and leaving them outdoors for a long time would shorten the waiting time.

Sorry for my Google Translate English.

I am making my first contribution to this forum, since seeing this message, I remember a friend who told me that he took some pins that had been in AP for a day into a bucket (the AP container broke or there was some problem and he put them away). remove), and within a week they were so rusty that they broke.
I wonder if soaking the pins in AP and leaving them outdoors for a long time would shorten the waiting time.
Hi, magnetic pins or as you said those who rust, are better deplated using a sulfuric cell rather than AP. The AP process is best for pins which for substrate have copper or copper based alloys.
Usually is used with closed containers in well ventilated areas.

Its really a very valuable thread, thanks for the author.

I know my way to recover gold from ic chips is not what most of the guys in this forum recommend, but when I compare the posted results here with my results of recovering same ic chips types, I find that I have much recovery rate, that's because I ignore silver recovering and just use AR after Incineration and grinding, also I don't seperate magnetic stuff.

Back