My results of specific types of IC chips, flatpacks and BGA

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my BGA chip result, top and bottom part combined I recovered gold, 4.05g form 800g BGA chip. Please answer me, is it perfect result of gold...
Billow is my BGA chip gold recovery Link...
https://youtu.be/4ralBp6MGRw

Looks pretty pure, but I can't really tell from the video. It's too far away to see. You could post a picture of it close up.
Some comments:
Your process is very dangerous.
Wet ashing, toooo much nitric, BFRC coming straight for you shortening your life span, no fume control. No catch basin.... and lots more room for improvement on safety.
You can save a lot on acids.
A hot ait gun inside the beaker while laying on its side could blow out gold powder.
How do you handle the toxic waste?
And warn viewers of the dangers in your video. Not to repeat at home.
Be safe.

Martijn.

I only watched the first part of the video, I will watch more later when I have more time.

I can see you are doing what you can to work safely, I was also concerned with safety, consider putting your pants over your boot tops, I can just imagine a boot full of acid. Roll the tops of the cuffs of your gloves, so when you raise your hands the acid does not run down your arms.

Dr.xyz said:
I'm suspecting that "waste management" is done by the nearest river or lake.

Taking a stab at someone's credibility by stereotyping them isn't okay. I've seen a lot of stuff like this over almost 11 years on the forum, and I've never said anything. But sometimes they get under my skin.

They should show what they do with their waste, as they went through the trouble of making the video showing everything else. Youtube viewers need to see that. Or they will follow what has been shown and dump the waste where ever.

acpeacemaker said:
Dr.xyz said:
I'm suspecting that "waste management" is done by the nearest river or lake.

Taking a stab at someone's credibility by stereotyping them isn't okay. I've seen a lot of stuff like this over almost 11 years on the forum, and I've never said anything. But sometimes they get under my skin.

Couldn't agree more. . . take a quick look at "Dr. xyz" posts. I have and I couldn't find one that was of a positive nature.

James

Guys, that may well be right regarding his posts.
They are however usually on topic and largely correct in what I can remember from the top of my head.
Gloomy and dark but to the point as the Fins often are portayed in films :twisted:

We have seen quite a few of these youtube videos fron the south western part of Asia,
with total lack of safety and so on, so his observation and comment may be warranted in that scope.

But you guys are correct in that we should let the benefit of doubt come first,
and ask him what he do.

Best done in a PM maybe?

I hope he replies with a picture.
Love seeing gold. Many do.
That's why i felt obligated to make some comments to his video and the way he works.

Giving your you tube channel a boost is fine but the most help wanted posts here are caused by people trying to replicate what video's like this show without the warnings.

I see a couple health an evironmental risks he could control a bit better. Let's all get better at it.

Martijn.

Trinity358 said:
Hi,

Can anyone explain me how much yield get in per killo/lb this kind IC Processors, image link bellow

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkpMNWA6sQwgdPWxrPCk6f5LKpdgmPO70QZA&usqp=CAU

Thanks

I have 50 of those chips I removed from a board a few weeks ago. I'm going to process them today. I'll post what my yield is, MINUS the caps. I'm processing my caps together I've accumulated from other ceramic cpu's. But those caps seem to have a nice amount of gold around the outer edges. I forget if they're magnetic or not. I'll post that info too.

scrapparts

scrapparts said:
Trinity358 said:
Hi,

Can anyone explain me how much yield get in per killo/lb this kind IC Processors, image link bellow

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkpMNWA6sQwgdPWxrPCk6f5LKpdgmPO70QZA&usqp=CAU

Thanks

I have 50 of those chips I removed from a board a few weeks ago. I'm going to process them today. I'll post what my yield is, MINUS the caps. I'm processing my caps together I've accumulated from other ceramic cpu's. But those caps seem to have a nice amount of gold around the outer edges. I forget if they're magnetic or not. I'll post that info too.

scrapparts

Thanks your reply, I'm waiting for your result of final destination...

Sorry, but I've been busy the past few months.

The gold recovery yield I got from 50 of those ceramic chips was 1.3g, and not including the tops.

scrapparts

Tzoax said:
cosmetal said:
You deserve some time off.

Thank you for your continued hard work and shared information!

James

James, i can't wait to continue... i will rest for this weekend - and i will continue in monday. And thank you again for resolving mystery of "little elf shoe" here... https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27544#p290938

I forgot to add some more data about this last test i made (Intel BGA - type 1). Actually it is 492-pin BGA chip - so naming this class of BGA's like that is more precise terminology and easier to remember/recognize it.
They are found on older motherboards - i saw many Socket 370 (and older than that) motherboards having 492-pin BGA chip.

111.jpg

And again, 14.77g of gold /kg and 0.0282g of gold per chip for this type of BGA's - brings this BGA type of chip at first place for gold content based on my tests (so far).

Alex

Looks like the 440BX is one of the richest chipsets (Pentium 3) :p

Interesting to know what percentage was in the next generation of chipsets (Pentium 4)?
What percentage is in the north bridge i82850, i82845, VIA VT8753 (Socket 423, Socket 478). And in the south bridge i82801BA, i82801BA, VIA VT8233(A/C).

Most likely the gold content in the chips has decreased, though maybe not.

I also wonder how much richer or poorer the north bridge is than the south bridge?

Maybe there is such information on the forum, I haven't found it yet :)

Do you happen to know the mesh size of the sieve you were using? I've been using a flour sifter, approximately 25-30 mesh? I believe I counted 27/inch. (The square holes are a bit smaller than 1mm by 1mm) I was wondering if I should keep going until everything is around -100 or smaller, either with my pipe crusher, mortar/pestle, or just re-burn it. I just sifted out 397g of black/grey powder from a batch I did yesterday.

I ran a small batch on an old scrap BBQ before, panned it a bit, then ground it up small enough to have the powder go through a coffee filter. I ended up with some copper and bonding wires, maybe 15 of each. Took a good while to get down to just the wires though.

I was wondering if it's possible to crush the pieces up enough, so that you wouldn't need to incinerate it at all? I have to buy coal/charcoal, but I can use my pipe crusher or mortar/pestle for free. I'm just seeing if I can save a couple dollars.

Edit - Nov 10th (Answered my own questions)

Over the last 2 days, I very slowly went through approximately 200 grams of the powder I had. The bonding wires must be around -150 or -200 mesh. I knew they were really small, but I didn't think they were quite this small. Just messing around with a makeshift goldpan, I spent atleast 10+ hours going through it. I used a hard drive magnet, and even went as far as using tweezers to pick out the copper wires. It might end up weighing 0.1g? (it's still wet and is probably around 80% gold, the rest is black). It was all mixed chips "even the 3 legged ones with the copper tops that have a hole in them", just the lowest recovery, no Ram, CPU, N/S bridge etc.

Yes, it is possible to crush the chips enough, that you wouldn't need to incinerate them. (Just incase you live in an area that doesn't allow fires) It'll take you a while if you use a pipe crusher and mortar/pestle though.

On a side note, panning bonding wires is probably about the same as panning "gold flour", except you might want to use an eye dropper instead of a snuffer bottle. I may just melt this down into a tiny picker, then dissolve and clean it after saving up more.
Must I boil in Hcl first? Can I just incinerate them? Or will the solder and what not mess it all up?

Last edited:
I just tested a new type of chips - SMALL BGA chips, like in newer RAM memory types (DDR2/DDR3), and the similar chips from motherboards and cards. They are all small, square or rectangle shaped, and all of them have a foil base with solder balls.
I soaked the chips in concentrated HCl and bring them to boil 3 times, the most of the tin dissolved. I incinerated the chips and washed with water. This time i used poorman's AR with KNO3. There was still some tin left so it took me some time to filter the solution with metastannic acid. I dropped the gold with SMB and washed the gold powder with hot water. I redissolved the gold again with poorman's AR to be sure that all of the contaminants are gone. I waited until AR was crystal clear and the contaminants like silver chloride and metastannic acid was settled at the bottom, then i carefully decanted the AR solution through the filter paper and dropped the gold with SMB again. I rinsed the gold powder with hot distiled water 3 times/3 times with hot HCl/3 times with hot distiled water. i dried the gold, measured it and here are my results...
View attachment 30335
Total weight of chips: 233.7g
Number of chips: 919pcs
Average weight of one chip: 0.25429815g
Gold recovered: 1.1g
Avg. gold per 1kg: 4.706889g
Avg. gold per one chip: 0.001196953g
So when you are boiling the chips in HCL are you dumping the HCL and putting new HCL every time three times?! That's a lot of HCL. Just want to confirm.

@Rreyes097 you can also scrap Tin balls off with a knife edge to recover tin metal (and eventually the gold inside them). Another option , take "exhausted" CuCl2 to do the job and recover the copper

Back