Mystery metall

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Återpenning

Hyperbol
I first was on the impression that this was plastic, as this was the body of the pen from an old digitizer.
When i then pick the parts apart i accidently droped it on a wooden floor, and the sound it gave when it hit the floor took me by surprise.
It sounded like an instrument, almost like a tuningfork.
It was coated with a really thick layer paint, and under is a shiny white metal.
I tried heating it and it became maleable when heated with a butan torch , the paint took the fire like a champ , ( yes i use ppe ).
Not magnetic, Have not tried paramagnetism yet, i think i will.
I have a clue what tis could be, but i am real curiuos what you experts think.

Best regards to all of you / Arne

Attachments

• IMG_20240904_221747.jpg
    IMG_20240904_221747.jpg
    2.3 MB
  • IMG_20240904_221747.jpg
    IMG_20240904_221747.jpg
    2.3 MB
  • IMG_20240904_221757.jpg
    IMG_20240904_221757.jpg
    2.3 MB
  • IMG_20240904_221815.jpg
    IMG_20240904_221815.jpg
    874.8 KB
I first was on the impression that this was plastic, as this was the body of the pen from an old digitizer.
When i then pick the parts apart i accidently droped it on a wooden floor, and the sound it gave when it hit the floor took me by surprise.
It sounded like an instrument, almost like a tuningfork.
It was coated with a really thick layer paint, and under is a shiny white metal.
I tried heating it and it became maleable when heated with a butan torch , the paint took the fire like a champ , ( yes i use ppe ).
Not magnetic, Have not tried paramagnetism yet, i think i will.
I have a clue what tis could be, but i am real curiuos what you experts think.

Best regards to all of you / Arne
In the pictures it look like Copper.

Last edited:
need weight.
similar to nickel silver, an alloy of nickel, zinc and copper... with a high nickel content.
maybe that’s why it’s painted over, many people are allergic to nickel

Hmmmm,,Silver colored metal. My guess would be one of the elements, or an alloy, from the periodic table. No guessing, have it analyzed with an XRF, or run the gamut of acid tests, streak test, hardness, and melting point tests. Just like what you would do to determine a mineral.

Latest posts

Back