Need a hand please

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could one use peracetic acid to cause the copper and other non-PM to go into solution before rinsing leaving the PM precipitated?
You had asked me this in a private conversation which I had yet to answer. So now I will answer this here. Peracetic acid has no use in refining that I know of and I hesitate to give you a "well this may work answer" and have you hurt yourself. The exposure limits for this chemical are very very low and the bodily harm it can do you is substantial.

You will be better served to tell us what you have and what issues you are having refining it and learn to proceed along a safer route.

Could one use peracetic acid to cause the copper and other non-PM to go into solution before rinsing leaving the PM precipitated?
The real question is "why". There are many ways to successfully clean powders that are time proven and well tested. What is it about paracetic acid that you think would work better? Follow the well guided advice given in the forum and you should be successful.

The real question is "why". There are many ways to successfully clean powders that are time proven and well tested. What is it about paracetic acid that you think would work better? Follow the well guided advice given in the forum and you should be successful.
From time to time users come with such "new" ideas.
Most are duds or straight dangerous, a few works but not as well as the proven and I'd guess a infitesmal few may actually be worth looking at.
This one is not one of those.

I have used weak sulfuric acid and nails in a Jif Peanut butter jar with a lid a couple of times
Shake every once in while
The jar gets a little deformed from the heat of reaction
Pull iron chunks out w/ magnet
Rinse well
Make shot
Run through cell
* I have since then bought a 12 inch cast iron pan 5 bucks at goodwill

You had asked me this in a private conversation which I had yet to answer. So now I will answer this here. Peracetic acid has no use in refining that I know of and I hesitate to give you a "well this may work answer" and have you hurt yourself. The exposure limits for this chemical are very very low and the bodily harm it can do you is substantial.

You will be better served to tell us what you have and what issues you are having refining it and learn to proceed along a safer route.
Acetic acid 5% and 3% h2o2 doesn't seem that harmful. Easy to get from the grocery store. I don't need a fast way to dissolve copper. And I would like not to use nitric or sulphuric. I am pretty sure I will need to use HCl for, the iron in the silverplated electrolysis method is abundant.

To which post do you direct this?
Please use the reply to button on the post in mind.

There is no use of Peracetic acid in refining.
The fact that there's a lot of brown sludge in my refining of silverplate flatware, is the reason I was asking to see what would work that I know I can get easily and affordably.

The fact that there's a lot of brown sludge in my refining of silverplate flatware, is the reason I was asking to see what would work that I know I can get easily and affordably.
H2O cell works good on silver plate and is not hard to learn. Great post on the forum on using one, but be prepared to read is nearly a book in itself.

Peracetic Acid 5% distilled White Vinegar & 3% H2O2 $5 US dollars for a gallon. cheap and if effective why not?

Oh boy you are so busted my friend.
Time to read up on some things .
Read the book
Read the safety section
Ask questions after trying to find the answer or solution yourself
Take notes

AP - acid perioxide or copper chloride etchant
Edited
I researched a lot and I couldn't find anything that was of substance. this is the reason why I am posting here. I am not using a acid electrolyte, I am using distilled water and non-iodized table salt for the electrolyte and during the process the brown sludge is forming quite abundant. I would like to know what can one use to disolve that sludge to facilitate the refining process and I was merely using peracetic acid for, it is inexpensive and relatively harmless.

and relatively harmless.

And it will remain that way, until you soak a metal in it. It becomes toxic and only goes up the more metal dissolved into it.

And the other downside is waste volume. It takes a lot more volume of acid per pound over Hydrochloric acid. Adding salt to it turns it into a weak hydrochloric by introducing the chloride ion to it.

And it will remain that way, until you soak a metal in it. It becomes toxic and only goes up the more metal dissolved into it.

And the other downside is waste volume. It takes a lot more volume of acid per pound over Hydrochloric acid. Adding salt to it turns it into a weak hydrochloric by introducing the chloride ion to it.
In the form of copper acetate?

I researched a lot and I couldn't find anything that was of substance. this is the reason why I am posting here. I am not using a acid electrolyte, I am using distilled water and non-iodized table salt for the electrolyte and during the process the brown sludge is forming quite abundant. I would like to know what can one use to disolve that sludge to facilitate the refining process and I was merely using peracetic acid for, it is inexpensive and relatively harmless.
Sulfuric acid 5 to 10% will do to dissolve any oxides and hydroxides as the salt cell produces NaOH. Heat it to speed up dissolution and add iron to convert AgCl into Ag. Rinse filter and melt into anodes for the cell.
But as BGDOCK said, you need to study a bit more. And please present your plan before you possibly make a mess for us to decipher and need to solve for you.

Acetic acid 5% and 3% h2o2 doesn't seem that harmful. Easy to get from the grocery store. I don't need a fast way to dissolve copper. And I would like not to use nitric or sulphuric. I am pretty sure I will need to use HCl for, the iron in the silverplated electrolysis method is abundant.
First I will apologize for coming out that hard in the beginning, human factors.
The intention still stand.

Anyway your idea of research and ours may differ as there are many threads in this forum discussing the same topic.
And unless you have read the ones on the topic to the end I do not consider it as the research has been done.

You can of course make a small test.
But it will create much more waste than HCl for example, and the waste created is as dangerous or even more as the Chlorides.
Acetates are as they come from an organic acid, more readily taken up by living things.
And all waste has to be treated.

Regarding to my request to who and what you are asking, is that we commonly get people asking questions which clearly refers to either a post a poster or both and do not quote the information to which they ask about.

Since most threads in here is live and winding back and forth in topic it is next to impossible to answer questions, unless the one asking has used the reply to button.

Latest posts

Back