Need a hand please

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I researched a lot and I couldn't find anything that was of substance. this is the reason why I am posting here. I am not using a acid electrolyte, I am using distilled water and non-iodized table salt for the electrolyte and during the process the brown sludge is forming quite abundant. I would like to know what can one use to disolve that sludge to facilitate the refining process and I was merely using peracetic acid for, it is inexpensive and relatively harmless.
For deplating Silver it seems the consensus on this forum is that a H2O cell is the best. (Without SALT).
This will create a precipitate of Silver powder that has no need to be treated much.
Just melt it.

If you use any Chlorides in the cell Silver Chlorides form and it need to be treated as such.
Actually you may be creating NaOH during the electrolysis which in turn may be transforming some of the Silver Chloride to Silver Oxide. a
This will then be brownish as the black Oxide mix with the White Chloride, so depending on the Voltage, Current and other factors this might be what happens.

Latest posts

Back