Need help info on making a cyanide plating solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi I would love to hear from anybody that knows the process of making a cyanide plating solution.Also is there a product that I can extract cyanide from or how to make that aswell thanks

This is not going to be an easy one to get an answer to unless you provide much more detail of what you want, and if you have a good understanding of the dangers of cyanide, also it depends on where you live as its not freely available in many places with good reason.There are people on here who can answer this but your going to have to prove you understand the safe handling of cyanide,its a killer in the wrong hands.I apologise if you do know your stuff on this but we have many new members who really leap without looking and no one wants to feel responsible for their or your deaths.

Very nicely stated, Nick.

I have one experience making and using a gold cyanide plating solution. No buffers or brighteners of any description, but results were acceptable. I still have the object that was plated---a golden spike, along with the cyanide solution and the anode that was used (pure gold, which I refined and rolled).

Chris (GSP) is our resident plating authority, but he may be reluctant to get involved in this conversation due to the complexity of plating solutions. They often are beyond the ability of the novice.

Harold

palladium pro,

I can provide formulas, but you will have to purchase potassium cyanide, potassium gold cyanide, and other chemicals to make them. There are no shortcuts to this. First, tell me what you want to do with this. What do you want to plate? How thick do you want to plate?

If this is just a one-shot deal or, if you want to plate a few small items occasionally, I would suggest buying a small bottle of ready-made solution from a company that sells jewelry supplies. They sell gold solutions in about any karat or color you would want. For car emblems, buy a small brush plating setup from one of the many companies that make them.

goldsilverpro said:
palladium pro,

I can provide formulas, but you will have to purchase potassium cyanide, potassium gold cyanide, and other chemicals to make them. There are no shortcuts to this. First, tell me what you want to do with this. What do you want to plate? How thick do you want to plate?

If this is just a one-shot deal or, if you want to plate a few small items occasionally, I would suggest buying a small bottle of ready-made solution from a company that sells jewelry supplies. They sell gold solutions in about any karat or color you would want. For car emblems, buy a small brush plating setup from one of the many companies that make them.
Hi great I want to plate silver I would like a very thick plating.Something that would work for electroforming also.I realize the danger I also have a chemists friend to help me.I dont want to buy the solutions from a jewelry making company because I already have been refining gold for a couple years now And cant bear to spend 5 dollars for 1 dollars worth of gold.I would love the very thick/ electroforming formula thanks goldsilverpro

The Silver Plating attachment is a silver plating post I made on an electroplating forum a couple of years ago.

The Thick Silver attachment is a scan from Modern Electroplating, 3rd edition. It gives a little more detail on high speed silver electoforming baths.

Electroforming silver isn't easy. Everything has to be up to snuff. My only experience with silver electroforming was about 43 years ago. We built silver slip rings and the silver was plated about 1/4" thick. Unfortunately, it's been too long to remember the formula or the operating conditions. I do remember the 2 tanks were 400 gallons each. At today's prices, the silver in the 2 would cost about $100,000. And that's not counting the silver anodes.

Attachments

• Silver Plating.pdf
    8.7 KB
  • Thick Silver2.pdf
    379.6 KB
goldsilverpro said:
The Silver Plating attachment is a silver plating post I made on an electroplating forum a couple of years ago.

The Thick Silver attachment is a scan from Modern Electroplating, 3rd edition. It gives a little more detail on high speed silver electoforming baths.

Electroforming silver isn't easy. Everything has to be up to snuff. My only experience with silver electroforming was about 43 years ago. We built silver slip rings and the silver was plated about 1/4" thick. Unfortunately, it's been too long to remember the formula or the operating conditions. I do remember the 2 tanks were 400 gallons each. At today's prices, the silver in the 2 would cost about $100,000. And that's not counting the silver anodes.
Hey thanks I will study later tonight

goldsilverpro said:

Thank you for the info it helps.

Latest posts

Back