Need help with incineration

pdamiant

Hi folks,

I am new to this. I am just starting my first batch of gold filled refining. I have a question about the incineration after the nitric treatment. What temperature do I need for the incineration (I am thinking between 600 and 800 degrees) and what is the best equipment to use for the incineration. If I can get away with just under 600 degrees I can use my BBQ grill. The filet mignons might not be very happy about it, but hey. Gotta do what I gotta do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What set-up do you all have for incineration?

nickvc

Whatever you do not use household items in recovery and refining if you want to ever use them again to eat off or prepare food.
Incineration can be done with a butane torch just heat until the metals are a dull red or all fumes have stopped.

Topher_osAUrus

Dont do it!

The BBQ should be for BBQ only.

Get a cheap corningware pyroceram dish from a local thrift store. A hot plate/burner, and a small torch.

Thats all you need.

If you get lucky at a garage sale, you can get it all for a few dollars. Brand new hot plate for $15 or 20. New MAPP torch and bottle $50. Pyroceram $2 -5 (thrift/second hand store).

The items are an investment. Less in value than a couple grams of gold. ....with them though, you can do oh-so-many things that are of importance in PM recovery and refining.

Those few, cheap, items will help keep your brisket happy, and you alive to make more money. ...and brisket

FrugalRefiner

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
pdamiant said:
A cheap butane torch and the wife's favourite Pyrex dish it is.

Be careful!

First, pyrex is not Corning Ware / pyroceram. Most pyrex can't stand up to the heat of a hot plate, let alone a torch. Most pyrex will shatter / explode.

Second, if I took any of my wife's favorite dishes of any kind, I'd have to sleep in the barn or risk being sewn into the bed while I slept, beaten with a baseball bat, and set on fire. :shock:

Dave

galenrog

Most Corning Ware will not stand up to the hot plate either. Corning Pyrocream will in most cases. As stated earlier, DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT WILL LATER BE USED IN ANY WAY FOR FOOD PREPARATION. To do so risks death due to chemical or metal salts exposure. If you are unlucky, such exposure will result in slow, perhaps several years slow, painful death as organs first reduce function then slowly shut down. Safety in all aspects of recovery and refining is paramount. Have fun.

Time for more coffee.

pdamiant

You folks are brilliant. Thanks.

How do I ascertain if something is Pyroceram. Is it usually written on it? I doubt I will find one still in its box at a yard sale.

jimdoc

pdamiant said:
You folks are brilliant. Thanks.

How do I ascertain if something is Pyroceram. Is it usually written on it? I doubt I will find one still in its box at a yard sale.

pdamiant

UPDATE.....

I just went to Walmart and looked at their Corningware. It said no flame no broiler in the bottom. What about a frying pan? They sit on naked flames all day long.

Topher_osAUrus

pdamiant said:
UPDATE.....

I just went to Walmart and looked at their Corningware. It said no flame no broiler in the bottom. What about a frying pan? They sit on naked flames all day long.
No, to the frying pan. It will eventually get gobbled up by the volatiles you are roasting off. Which will just end up making your job more difficult in the end. ...however, i cant speak on those new "ceramic" frying pans that are tan or green. It would be far cheaper to just find some real-deal pyroceram. If you cant find any. Pm me, I will send you some. Gratis.

Its got to be second hand corningware.
They do not sell corningware pyroceram anymore. Its some cheapo knockoff crap that simply wont do. There are a couple corningware threads on the forum. Jim posted a link to one. Another is one of my first forum posts. Corningware411 dot com is a great site as well.

FrugalRefiner said:
Second, if I took any of my wife's favorite dishes of any kind, I'd have to sleep in the barn or risk being sewn into the bed while I slept, beaten with a baseball bat, and set on fire. :shock:

Dave

Geez. I wish my old oldlady wouldve cared that much about anything, let alone cooking stuff. ...but, she couldnt even boil water. :)

g_axelsson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used a stainless steel pan until....

DSC_7518.JPG

If you are only incinerating plastic chips, jewellery or other dry stuff it holds up quite good. Just check the bottom before usage.

When incinerating stuff that has chloride salts in it the metal is eaten away quite fast. The pot I used was killed by incinerating filters with a lot of solid stuff in them. A lot of tin and lead chlorides and other stuff. The salts melted at first and then made a nice hole in the bottom while smoking a lot. The incineration worked, but there was a small powder pile under the pan when I took it out of my oven.

Now I have a stainless frying pan that I'm planning to use for incineration and a stainless pot I so far has used for incinerating silver mylars from keyboards. It has been working just fine so far.

Göran

Latest posts