New member!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passawayj

Hello to everyone and anyone who reads this. I have recently been shown the way of refining and It has completely engulfed me. I am a high school dropout with a G.E.D I've relied on YouTube to help teach me on anything I find interesting.
I started refining old computer parts at first which I thought was going to be way easier than it was in my apartment lol 😆, Not my best idea (I'm working out of a friend garage now). I eventually was successful and refined 8.4 Grams of gold, I was so happy and amazed I could actually do it! But when trying to show friends, coworkers, or family they thought it was neat and cool,but for all the hard work and time I spent getting it there just wasn't that expression i was expecting.I don't think they realized just how much went into it, I know I have most likely been the person not as enthusiastic about someone's hobby so I shrugged it off.
I've now realized that trying to refine the old computers is not the way I want to continue my hobby after refining jewelry it's so much better!!!

I'm now on the hunt for the best and affordable way to get karat gold and any information you want to share, I'm eager to learn and happy to help

I'm now on the hunt for the best and affordable way to get karat gold and any information you want to share, I'm eager to learn and happy to help
Garage/yard/estate sales, flee markets and auctions. You might even get lucky at Salvation Army...etc. The only bad thing about garage/yard sales is dealing with the sentimental value issue. I don't like being a jerk but there is no spot price on sentimental... sometimes you just got to agree to disagree on price and move on empty handed.

I personally don't recommend refining anything with markings or something with a known PM content. I would advise finding a buyer first that is willing to buy your home refined PM's.

Example:
If someone walked into your business and plopped down a gold'ish looking bar and wants to sell today. The bar has no markings and you know your XRF can only read skin deep and all you have is the persons word that it's pure throughout ......Would you buy it?. That's why it's important to find a buyer that understands what you do and is still willing to make an offer.

But when trying to show friends, coworkers, or family they thought it was neat and cool,but for all the hard work and time I spent getting it there just wasn't that expression i was expecting.I don't think they realized just how much went into it.
I feel ya.... Even though I show my wife every time I put a little gold/silver in the safe....I still get static every time I buy some e-waste. Maybe I should giver her the same look the next time she buys a new pair of shoes.. :)

Garage/yard/estate sales, flee markets and auctions. You might even get lucky at Salvation Army...etc. The only bad thing about garage/yard sales is dealing with the sentimental value issue. I don't like being a jerk but there is no spot price on sentimental... sometimes you just got to agree to disagree on price and move on empty handed.

I personally don't recommend refining anything with markings or something with a known PM content. I would advise finding a buyer first that is willing to buy your home refined PM's.

Example:
If someone walked into your business and plopped down a gold'ish looking bar and wants to sell today. The bar has no markings and you know your XRF can only read skin deep and all you have is the persons word that it's pure throughout ......Would you buy it?. That's why it's important to find a buyer that understands what you do and is still willing to make an offer.

I feel ya.... Even though I show my wife every time I put a little gold/silver in the safe....I still get static every time I buy some e-waste. Maybe I should giver her the same look the next time she buys a new pair of shoes..
Example:

Example:
I agree, I was able to find a store who took a chance on me after a little talking and explaining I got a gold ¼ounce maple and got my 8.4 gram button.
Later on he took it to get checked it was 95% pure he told me.

Hello to everyone and anyone who reads this. I have recently been shown the way of refining and It has completely engulfed me. I am a high school dropout with a G.E.D I've relied on YouTube to help teach me on anything I find interesting.
I started refining old computer parts at first which I thought was going to be way easier than it was in my apartment lol 😆, Not my best idea (I'm working out of a friend garage now). I eventually was successful and refined 8.4 Grams of gold, I was so happy and amazed I could actually do it! But when trying to show friends, coworkers, or family they thought it was neat and cool,but for all the hard work and time I spent getting it there just wasn't that expression i was expecting.I don't think they realized just how much went into it, I know I have most likely been the person not as enthusiastic about someone's hobby so I shrugged it off.
I've now realized that trying to refine the old computers is not the way I want to continue my hobby after refining jewelry it's so much better!!!

Flea markets can have good bargains, I usually get my stuff from flea markets and small collecting/recycling centers. Not jewelery, true, but a consistent supply of e-waste.
I did see jewelery on flea markets but i don`t do jewelery.
I do trade e-waste though, it is better then recovery, I keep the good stuff and I re-sell the average stuff for fair price, and even make a small profit out of it. :) No acids involved, no waste created. :) (It needs some time investing in separation, but alltogether it pays out...I don`t have to invest my own money anymore, it sustaines itself from trading....and I still keep the good stuff)

Pete

Back