New metal tester for precious and non-precious metals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcel

Supporting Member
Hello fellow Silver & Gold hunters,

My name is Marcel and some may still remember one of my other projects, the translation of C.M. Hoke´s book into the German language.
While doing so over a timespan of several years and learning an awesome amount of things here on the forums (mainly by reading many threads and then trying things out), I decided that there was not an easy and affordable way to determine the type of metal without dissolving it etc.
As an engineer I came up with an idea for the MTI (Metal testing and Identification) device. We do not like people here, who announce groundbreaking new things, but are not able to tell, how they are supposed to work.

I will get into the tech details on another occasion, but as a regular reader of this forum, you know the concept of the galvanic series and this is mainly on what my solution is based upon. I guess any expert will accept, that this concept is usable for a metal identification, so no rocket science, but a very hard piece of work to put this into a first working prototype.
MTI-00X-mit Ring.png
Picture above shows a prototype from Version 1 from 2020

As with many things, the theory is simple, but the conversion into a working solution took me years, with many small iterations and also many dead ends.
I give you a lot of Blabla at this point, so you will put in account, that I developed this gadget all by myself. That means: CAD, 3D printing, electronic circuit and PCB design, microcontroller programming and so on. Some aspects (like manual in various languages, support website, gift box etc.) are yet not professional, as I would wish, but : This is an ongoing project and I try to improve details each and every day.
In this thread I try to keep you updated on the project on an irregular basis. Do not expect too much and a quick communication for the next few weeks. For the moment, I am totally overworked with this project.
MTI00X-V2-Isometric.png

Above MTI00X V2

The device shown here is able to identify several solid metals (here: Zn, Pb, Sn, Cr, Fe, Ni, Cu and Ag, Au, Pd, Rh, Pt) quite reliably, without the use of acids, x-rays etc.
Currently working on Iridium, Rhenium, Indium and light metals like Al and Mg.
This tester is not the one and only solution. If you need to know a metal composition absolutely exact, there are several very advanced (but also costly) technologies like fire assays, XRFs and others, to do that. It has its place as a very fast, low cost and non-destructive method to determine, the most dominant metal in an alloy and indicate other metals that are alloyed or plated. As development and research continues, more profiles of other metals will be added.
The MTI Mini is a down scaled version of the large industrial devices that I design and develop. It just a small demo to show the potential of this method for the small refiner.
MTI00X V2 komplett v19.png
Rendering of the latest Version V2

To give you an easy overview, just check out this (quick and dirty) video, and you will see how the device (named BozzTech MTI00X Mini or shorter "MTI" ) works:

Production has started last month and as this project is taking off fast, I am looking for distribution partners from several areas of the world to handle the demand and localize support and logistics. I will get into that later as well. If you are interested, drop me a PM, but be warned and bear with me, that it may take some days, before I find the time to communicate.
EU residents can find the tester and information on it, on the website of my publisher adrenalinemedia:
Metal tester Bozz.Tech MTI00X V2 | adrenalinemedia
Thank you for your time!

Special thanks to David, who took his time and listened to my crazy ideas ;-)

This tester would not be here, without the members of this forum and C.M. Hoke and her books.

Last edited:
Well done Marcel, that is indeed an interesting project.

Listed for 1150 euro, for a small(hobby) refiner may be a bit high, but counting the time and effort for development, the price may be justified.

It would be interesting to put a 286 CPU on the plate to see the results. :D

Be safe

Pete

@Pete: Thank you very much for your comment.
The GRF forum does not allow me to edit posts anymore, so I could not update the link to the online shop.
The price for the linked V+ version is the new tester that will be out by March 2022. This tester comes with more metals (rare earth f.e.) and more hardware accessories, an integrated battery for mobile use and some more features, that not every hobbyist may need. It is intended for advanced users such as laboratories etc.
The model I initially presented here at the forum costs €390 if you use the coupon "GRF" ( down from €499), free worldwide shipping included. It knows 12 metals, and it is the one shown in that video. The URL for this model is:
(If you don't get along with the online shop for some reason, PM me and I will manually process the order)
I did not want to spam this post, so I left it as it was, but since it leads to confusion, my suggestion to the new owners is to allow the editing of posts for at least 30 days or so.
Currently, I do everything by myself and I do it manually. The soldering, the assembly, 3D printing of parts, writing the manuals in various languages etc. As this project (hopefully) grows, I expect prices to further go down by using service providers and machines, which again requires higher quantities. Still, this may take several more months.
For now this offer is for those, who want to have them early and thereby support updates, upgrades and the ongoing development and also can have influence on new features by directly contacting me.

Hello fellow Silver & Gold hunters,

My name is Marcel and some may still remember one of my other projects, the translation of C.M. Hoke´s book into the German language.
While doing so over a timespan of several years and learning an awesome amount of things here on the forums (mainly by reading many threads and then trying things out), I decided that there was not an easy and affordable way to determine the type of metal without dissolving it etc.
As an engineer I came up with an idea for the MTI (Metal testing and Identification) device. We do not like people here, who announce groundbreaking new things, but are not able to tell, how they are supposed to work.

I will get into the tech details on another occasion, but as a regular reader of this forum, you know the concept of the galvanic series and this is mainly on what my solution is based upon. I guess any expert will accept, that this concept is usable for a metal identification, so no rocket science, but a very hard piece of work to put this into a first working prototype.
View attachment 47025
Picture above shows a prototype from Version 1 from 2020

As with many things, the theory is simple, but the conversion into a working solution took me years, with many small iterations and also many dead ends.
I give you a lot of Blabla at this point, so you will put in account, that I developed this gadget all by myself. That means: CAD, 3D printing, electronic circuit and PCB design, microcontroller programming and so on. Some aspects (like manual in various languages, support website, gift box etc.) are yet not professional, as I would wish, but : This is an ongoing project and I try to improve details each and every day.
In this thread I try to keep you updated on the project on an irregular basis. Do not expect too much and a quick communication for the next few weeks. For the moment, I am totally overworked with this project.
View attachment 47024

Above MTI00X V2

The device shown here is able to identify several solid metals (here: Zn, Pb, Sn, Cr, Fe, Ni, Cu and Ag, Au, Pd, Rh, Pt) quite reliably, without the use of acids, x-rays etc.
Currently working on Iridium, Rhenium, Indium and light metals like Al and Mg.
This tester is not the one and only solution. If you need to know a metal composition absolutely exact, there are several very advanced (but also costly) technologies like fire assays, XRFs and others, to do that. It has its place as a very fast, low cost and non-destructive method to determine, the most dominant metal in an alloy and indicate other metals that are alloyed or plated. As development and research continues, more profiles of other metals will be added.
The MTI Mini is a down scaled version of the large industrial devices that I design and develop. It just a small demo to show the potential of this method for the small refiner.
View attachment 47026
Rendering of the latest Version V2

To give you an easy overview, just check out this (quick and dirty) video, and you will see how the device (named BozzTech MTI00X Mini or shorter "MTI" ) works:

Production has started last month and as this project is taking off fast, I am looking for distribution partners from several areas of the world to handle the demand and localize support and logistics. I will get into that later as well. If you are interested, drop me a PM, but be warned and bear with me, that it may take some days, before I find the time to communicate.
EU residents can find the tester and information on it, on the website of my publisher adrenalinemedia:
Thank you for your time!

Special thanks to David, who took his time and listened to my crazy ideas ;-)

This tester would not be here, without the members of this forum and C.M. Hoke and her books.

I am the CEO of JSP. We are the only manufacturers of gold testing acid in the US and most of the western world. We also sell 3000 other jewelry related products. We sell ONLY to other tool and supply dealers and never to end users. Our customer xelexo.net advertises on this forum.

If your interested in allowing us to distribute your tester to our dealers, please contact me.
Sincerely yours,
Leo Esch
Ceo
Www.jsp.cc
[email protected]

Hi Marcel very interesting, great work. I am from South Africa and very interested to distribute your product here in the south and further north in Africa. I live in the city of gold Johannesburg and here in Africa is many miners that can benefit from your product. I myself is busy with exploration on my own land and other I can’t wait to have a device to make life easier. Looking forward to hear from you. Nico Badenhorst +27786341900 e-mail [email protected]

Hi to all. Has anybody already buyed and tested this device ? I am very interested to get one.
Marcel - can you send me phone nr. in message?

Back