newbie who needs some guidance

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristolvin

hello all i am a newbie dipping his feet into the gold recovery as a hobby.
I will like to ask for your guidance and experience for which chemicals to use to take gold of computer boards etc.
what i seem to found out looking on the internet and youtube is to use hydrocloric acid with peroxide.. 2 part hydrocloric to 1 part peroxide
what do you guys and girls think or any other chemicals to use that is easy to get hold off?
thanks vin

Welcome to the forum.

If you use that much peroxide, you'll end up dissolving some gold. It will eventually cement back out on the base metals, but it makes it more difficult to recover.

Better to start with enough hydrochloric acid to cover your material and add just a tiny amount of peroxide. A capful is sufficient. Then add an air bubbler to mix the solution and keep adding oxygen.

Dave

Welcome to the forum bristolvin.
The first thing you will have to learn is that we're working with toxic chemicals and need proper handling and storage, understanding the risks and how to prevent them as much as possible.
Second is to treat and safely dispose of the chemical waste you produce in an environment friendly way.

The AP you are going to use is only started with H2O2. after the first copper chloride has formed, it's never needed again. To avoid dissolving gold, make some AP first with fresh HCL and clean copper.
Study AP, how it works and why it is regenerated with only air and HCL.

Here are some links to help you get started.
Welcome to all newbies:
Welcome to all Newbies

Help where do i learn these skills? :
Help where do I start to learn these skills?

Acid Peroxide information thread:
Acid Peroxide Process Information Thread Q & A's

Hoke's book updated. Screen readable version from Frugal refiners signature:
Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book

Start small, small mistakes, small losses, small mess to clean up. Have a plan before you jump in, ask here first before attempting anything.

Have fun. Be safe.
Martijn.

Last edited by a moderator:
To Martin
Hello thank you for your message I totally understand and already have a understanding of handling ,storage and also disposal of the chemicals.
It was more the getting the correct amount to make the process work correct and I will look at the links you send and sure they will be very helpful.
Vin

late reply:
No H2O2 is needed.
To make CuCl2: put an oxidized piece of copper in HCL> done.
Add to clean gold plated boards, no solder or components!, and insert an air bubble hose.

Add a bit of HCL when solution turns dark or white/green precipitate appears on the bottom. CuCl1.

Martijn.

Back