Nitric acid: soon to be prohibited in the EU

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, metal refining is refining as far as the EA are concerned, regardless of the source of the metals. I'm pretty sure we are allowed to do it as a hobby without regulation, however as soon as you stick a commercial label on it the rules change massively.

I'm trawling through documents trying to find something on this, but to no avail. Found a bit about 'melting metals', but nothing about precious metals in particular. It may be the case that a permit is needed, and it would seem prudent to check anyway, but I don't see why this would necessarily be cost-prohibitive. I work in a rubber factory and we vent rubber fumes into the atmosphere, which contain lots of unpleasant chemicals - we've had the local Council sniffing around a few times, but we always do what they say and that seems to satisfy them.

Make no mistake. They are coming after the precious metals. They have the paper market controld already. Now they want to physical.

They want lose out any. Anytime you restrict access the price of the item will rise to compensate it. Supply and demand!

well I did my homework and got 400L of nitric today before the restrictions came in so that pretty much absolves us of worrying.

NobleMetalWorks said:
I imagine much the same will end up happening in the USA. All it really means though is that you have to have a legal business and a legitimate reason for purchasing certain chemicals/acids. Is it very difficult to establish a business in the EU so that you can legally purchase these items?

Scott
Hello, I am new to the forum, though I had my deals of businesses in Italy [part of UE]
and yes it is quite a thing to open a business around here, though first I am speaking from the country that had invented burocracy and has pretty complicated issues on it.
It is hard because we have to pay taxes depending on the amount of money we make and to verify that we need permissions for every business and you need other certificates that are related to your business beacause the financial police will control all of your permits and certificates before allowing you to open any kind of business. That is not all the complicacy, you need to have "Bussines Tax-insurance" that cost about 5,000 euros to open and also all 200+square meters constructions used for a business must have permits of consonance has commercial structure and the further you go the more complicacy burocracy will pull out around here, it isn'y quite hard to open it is more spendious[it costs a lot] and also the financial police will question any dnagerous material you purchase that is not related to your bussines. So even if you have an Ice-Cream shop and buy acids the police well.. here they don't do much about it though you may get a pretty high fine.

new precursors and poisons unit or the CBRNE unit came on line last year
You do not need a licence for the substances currently in your possession. But If you are not set up as a trading business by 3 March 2016, you will need a licence even for the substances in your possession.
So in order to operate with out a special home office licence you have to be able to demonstrate to a supplier that you need the substances for the purposes of your trade, business or profession at that current time.
So now any one who want's to actively refine in any capacity has to be set up as a business or spend month's inline trying to gain a licence form central government,which if you have tried before as I have knows that is a hard road to go down.
In the U.K. you are considered business even if you are just finding your feet the moment you start to buy and sell any noble metals beyond that you happen to have by chance.
The Legislative demand for a small testing lab that produces less than five hundred kilo's of waste classed as toxic is manageable as if you are buying material it would hamper fair trading if you were to restrict testing.people have a right to inspect good's and verify value when they need
But the moment you exceed the toxic waste allowance and get into the realm of controlled licensing and inspection's the CBRN unit will be the least of your problem's.

i believe you can now obtain a home use EPP licence its a bit like a passport app think its £35 and lasts 3 years you have to provide a CRB check and countersignator but its not too much hassle! and i guess after that its just the tax man and youre local EHO you will have to worry about! Tom

Back