Nitric Acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akragon

71289501-3898-470D-9F28-A5213747E7C3.jpegSo i finally got my Nitric. $135 btw 😕

Its slightly imtimidating, and to be honest im a little scared. I haven't worked with Nitric acid in years... closer to decades! And it was no where near this amount... i have all the protections needed, but i still want to know from you guys that really know. How bad is this stuff? 😳

View attachment 55879So i finally got my Nitric. $135 btw 😕

Its slightly imtimidating, and to be honest im a little scared. I haven't worked with Nitric acid in years... closer to decades! And it was no where near this amount... i have all the protections needed, but i still want to know from you guys that really know. How bad is this stuff? 😳
I would have expected a brown bottle, but it is supposed to be used within reasonable time anyway.

It is as bad or benign as any other acids we use.
Probably worse than HCl and better than Sulfuric with regard to biologic reactions like burns and such.
Depending on strength, it will fume a bit to much and those fumes should be avoided.
Keep the bottle safe so it don't fall down and break, maybe pour into another plastic bottle for daily/weekly use.
And use it in a well ventilated area or fume hood. Be aware that the NOx fumes are as bad as the direct fumes from the bottle.

I agree with yggdrasil, pour some into a smaller bottle for everyday use.

If you get it on your skin, wash it off promptly. It will turn your skin yellow, then it Will kill a couple layers and become like a blister that will eventually peal off.

Respect it, don't fear it.

Dave

Nitric on skin (or other mucous membranes) reacts to create xanthoproteins. Dpending on the membrane thickness, acid concentration and dwell time can cause full thickness burns.

Like in this video, I put it in a bottle of A1 sauce. It is the perfect cheap container, as it is made of dark brown glass, and the cap is made of a plastic that can withstand the 95% acid for over 8 months (from my personal experience). After that time, the cap starts to leak, so just change it.

Back