Nitric gone bad.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry

I had 2 bad solutions in succession in that my gold did not drop out. Did not know why. I recently changed my acid in my workshop using the nitric that I use in my agua. I found that it only darkens my gold and not cleaning it as it is suppose to. It is mixed 50/50. Did the nitric expire? Probably 3 years old. 5 Litre bottle. question: but that must be the reason why my gold drops failed miserably and the question is that, can nitric survive for 3 years in dim darkness and in a plastic bottle. Am I chasing flying birds with nests in trees like turtles with knees or bees with fleas. I did do the stanous but it varies, there is a time that its perfect and then it's not. I am talking minutes. Do I have gold fever. You guys already saved me once and the solution was cementing with copper. I am a noob and I still did not finish reading Hoke. I like putting things together without reading the instructions. I think that I am wrong. How can you test nitric without using the neighbors kids?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you test the solution with stannous? If no gold dissolved, nothing will drop.
And cementing on copper will tell you too.
Is your gold pure or a carat gold? If there is a lot of silver, it may be that.

I had 2 bad solutions in succession in that my gold did not drop out. Did not know why. I recently changed my acid in my workshop using the nitric that I use in my agua. I found that it only darkens my gold and not cleaning it as it is suppose to. It is mixed 50/50. Did the nitric expire? Probably 3 years old. 5 Litre bottle. Shit question: but that must be the reason why my gold drops failed miserably and the question is that, can nitric survive for 3 years in dim darkness and in a plastic bottle. Am I chasing flying birds with nests in trees like turtles with knees or bees with fleas. I did do the stanous but it varies, there is a time that its perfect and then it's not. I am talking minutes. Do I have gold fever. You guys already saved me once and the solution was cementing with copper. I am a noob and I still did not finish reading Hoke. I like putting things together without reading the instructions. I think that I am wrong. How can you test nitric without using the neighbors kids?
To test nitric acid, add ascorbic acid (vitamin C) powder. If the acid is strong enough, it will give brown gas - NO2 immediately

I had 2 bad solutions in succession in that my gold did not drop out. Did not know why. I recently changed my acid in my workshop using the nitric that I use in my agua. I found that it only darkens my gold and not cleaning it as it is suppose to. It is mixed 50/50. Did the nitric expire? Probably 3 years old. 5 Litre bottle. Shit question: but that must be the reason why my gold drops failed miserably and the question is that, can nitric survive for 3 years in dim darkness and in a plastic bottle. Am I chasing flying birds with nests in trees like turtles with knees or bees with fleas. I did do the stanous but it varies, there is a time that its perfect and then it's not. I am talking minutes. Do I have gold fever. You guys already saved me once and the solution was cementing with copper. I am a noob and I still did not finish reading Hoke. I like putting things together without reading the instructions. I think that I am wrong. How can you test nitric without using the neighbors kids?
if your gold is not dropping from a aqua regia solution you can drop by put the solution to boil with a piece of copper inside and add some smb , afteer is start to boil you will see the gold dropping BUT IS POSSIBLE TO REMAIN TRACES OF GOLD IN WASTE SOLUTION WICH CAN BE DETECTABLE WITH SNCL .
the acids can not expire only decompose wich will not affect you main solution , usually the SMB precipitation failed when you have copper in solution.

if your gold is not dropping from a aqua regia solution you can drop by put the solution to boil with a piece of copper inside and add some smb , afteer is start to boil you will see the gold dropping BUT IS POSSIBLE TO REMAIN TRACES OF GOLD IN WASTE SOLUTION WICH CAN BE DETECTABLE WITH SNCL .
the acids can not expire only decompose wich will not affect you main solution , usually the SMB precipitation failed when you have copper in solution.
Your information is highly inaccurate, as almost always, why do you not check your information before posting?
There is no need to boil the AR with Copper, actually we NEVER boil pregnant AR, because the droplets will spread your Gold around.
All that is needed for Gold is Copper inside and a stir now and then.
For PGMs a you need vigorous stirring all the time.
The OPs is not trying to drop Gold, he is trying to clean Gold "foils?"
And there should not be any result in SnCl then.
Please get your Chemical symbols right what you wrote is: Sulfur Nitrogen Carbon and L do not exist.

Your information is highly inaccurate, as almost always, why do you not check your information before posting?
There is no need to boil the AR with Copper, actually we NEVER boil pregnant AR, because the droplets will spread your Gold around.
All that is needed for Gold is Copper inside and a stir now and then.
For PGMs a you need vigorous stirring all the time.
The OPs is not trying to drop Gold, he is trying to clean Gold "foils?"
And there should not be any result in SnCl then.
Please get your Chemical symbols right what you wrote is: Sulfur Nitrogen Carbon and L do not exist.
me always I boil the ar solution when fail with a piece of copper inside and SMB and gold is drop immediately, I need 2 days to drop all the gold just with copper without boil and fresh SMB , so I guess my method for dropping the gold when the drop is failed is better than yours because is very fast 5 minutes your method take 2 days to drop all gold , and me I understand he have 2 bad solution in wich the gold dont wanna precipitate.
When you take a failed solution and put on vigorous heat with a piece of clean copper inside and som SMB the gold ispreciputate immediately and the copper take black colour because of gold and I n final is little harder to take all the black gold wich is stuck on Copper

me always I boil the ar solution when fail with a piece of copper inside and SMB and gold is drop immediately, I need 2 days to drop all the gold just with copper without boil and fresh SMB , so I guess my method for dropping the gold when the drop is failed is better than yours because is very fast 5 minutes your method take 2 days to drop all gold , and me I understand he have 2 bad solution in wich the gold dont wanna precipitate.
When you take a failed solution and put on vigorous heat with a piece of clean copper inside and som SMB the gold ispreciputate immediately and the copper take black colour because of gold and I n final is little harder to take all the black gold wich is stuck on Copper
If you boil pregnant AR you will loose some Gold.
For cementing with Copper no need for SMB or boiling.
It will be quick and complete with just some stirring.

If you boil pregnant AR you will loose some Gold.
For cementing with Copper no need for SMB or boiling.
It will be quick and complete with just some stirring.
I don't know if really lose some gold by boil, many refiner's boil AR after addition of SMB because the precipitate is forming immediately and the gold will be almost coagulated (like black pd) and not fine particles. ,are russian refiner's which boil the Ar for fast and coagulated precipitation and many others.

I don't know if really lose some gold by boil, many refiner's boil AR after addition of SMB because the precipitate is forming immediately and the gold will be almost coagulated (like black pd) and not fine particles. ,are russian refiner's which boil the Ar for fast and coagulated precipitation and many others.
It is well know that you loose Gold if boiling, because when the bubble burst they throw micro droplets out of the beaker.
It is of course not much each time but over time it will be significant.
We heat it til just under boiling, 80-90 or so.

I never boil and my gold always drops immediately. When using smb. The copper takes time but I still don't bring to full boil. Just warming it up. So what is exactly the problem? You post is quite confusing.🤷
if read carefully we deal with a failed drop, with a solution who refuse to drop the gold after addition of SMB

if read carefully we deal with a failed drop, with a solution who refuse to drop the gold after addition of SMB
No read again.
The OP asked if his Nitric was bad since it did not clean his Gold foils properly.
The only one talking about SMB here is you.

No read again.
The OP asked if his Nitric was bad since it did not clean his Gold foils properly.
The only one talking about SMB here is you.
I clean jewellery by heating it up slighly and then submerging it in nitric acid. I used a fresh batch of nitric that I also use for my ar. It has never happened before that nitric turns the jewellery black. Silver gold and even white gold. I have ordered new nitric and if that works I know that it was bad nitric acid that cuased the catastophic non drops. On the brightside it led me to this wonderfull site.

Back