Nuke nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes for very tiny amounts and a lot of trouble...

you can generate NOx from a high voltage spark (like lightning does in our atmosphere)...

NO in the oxygen of the air makes NO2, NO2 with moisture or water in the air makes HNO3...

It would make a nice experiment for most of us, but would not be a practical way of making nitric acid...

Not knowing the video you're talking about, most things are possible. If you can capture NOx gasses from a reaction, you can convert it to nitric acid. How much does it cost to generate the NOx in comparison to the amount of nitric you can create?

Dave

edit: I see butcher posted while I was writing my post.

METLMASHER said:
Saw Nile Red video where he made plasma but generated Nox, can this be turned into nitric acid ?

That's a nice video, if i remember correctly he actually does acquire some nitric at the end of that video :)
also that's where in nature some of the acid in acid rain comes from - after lightning strikes....
also also, you could probably bubble diesel exaust (without catalytic converters) through H2O and get some dirty nitric acid (mixed with sulfuric, etc.)

Nurdrage is releasing a series of videos leading up towards a video about making nitric acid from ammonia. He released the first part about making concentrated ammonia from different sources last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jJ5QF-EVE

It'll be interesting to see the result of this series.

Göran

Astral chemistry on YouTube actually does the Ostwald process of making nitric from ammonia gas through a platinum catalyst. It’s quite fascinating, I can’t wait for nurd rages video on it.

On the getting nitric part, there are several ways to make it and as a newbie refiner I assumed making It was the best and only way to get nitric. That was not true, unless you are somewhere you absolutely can’t get ahold of it. Buying it it the best way.
It may seem expensive if you try to buy 500ml or something but anyone in the USA could just buy the 10liters from Duda diesel or lab alley for @200$. That’s 20$ per liter. I know I spent time and money acquiring the proper glass setup to make it and did a few successful runs and gained plenty of knowledge but in the end I should have just bought the nitric. 20$ a liter isn’t cheap but it probably costs less in the end if you value any of your time.

What a great surprise seeing all your replies :)
Glad to hear I wasn't totally off base with this.
I think of solar powered micro sized microwave units set on a post to run for a week to a year just sipping it up, draining into a plastic flask.
Maybe I'm thinking too small however, and should set up to catch lightning in a bottle. :shock: :lol:
Then again at $20 a liter, it seems less important. My price was $63 a liter the only time I bought any, if I remember correctly. (I doubt I found the $20 a liter stuff, I think I would have remembered it.)
I suspected the price of electricity paid to run a microwave is probably 2X the price of nitric acid. I'd be happy to hear I'm wrong, and someone has been doing this for years. 8)

The setup for the Ostwald process isn’t that complicated if you have the ammonia source, I think the platinum catalyst and the tube to contain it are the hard parts.

Astral chemistry’s video shows it all. And how to make the catalyst. They use a quartz tube so you can see it and the quartz can handle the temperature. It’s quite interesting.

I believe it’s all the same principle, create NOx and bubble through water.

Back