Obtaining nitric acid in the UK

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
justinhcase said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
justinhcase said:
Lookslikejames said:
So... does anyone have any guidance or help for me lol? :shock:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/licensing-for-home-users-of-explosives-precursors/licensing-for-home-users-of-poisons-and-explosive-precursors
It is an offence for a member of the public to acquire or import any of the regulated substances without holding a valid EPP licence issued by the Home Office.
If found guilty of this offence, there is a maximum penalty of 2 years’ imprisonment and/or a fine.
Unlicensed the maximum concentration you should have is only• nitric acid: 3% ,•hydrogen peroxide:12%

Why don't you just make a single thread about the rules in your area and the explinations behind them and then you can just post a single link to that thread when something like this is asked and it would save a lot of agrivation. IMHO
I will try and put the U.K. legal situation into a concise form if you think that will help.
There are two routs for people to go as a hobby or as a business,both have legal obligations but the home office have produced some very good guide lines(they what to make sure no one should have any excuses not to have understood.) so I will just list the necessary reading with links to the relevant document.
It is all very well publicized and any one who runs a basic search would have easily found the information.

I think it would be the best thing to do as far as this subject goes. And links from any other information that comes to light could be added. I think it would kind of calm down the problems that come up when this subject starts getting discussed.

I have found all that information already and am starting the application, but thanks anyway. The reason for my post was just to hear from others on their experience when applying, and to see how many people have actually managed to get a licence.

So... did you get the licence in the end? :D

Asking because I applied about 30 days ago and awaiting a reply.

Thanks

For anyone looking at this post in 2020. I have applied for a epp licence about 36 days ago (that's 36 working days) and still waiting for a reply. I did chase them and they did say that my application is still being reviewed. I will update once successful (or not :shock: )

Woop-woop! Just received the email!

Good Morning,

Your application for a licence to import, acquire, possess and use poisons and/or explosives precursors has been granted. The licence has been placed in the post today and should be with you shortly.

If you have not received the licence within 10 days, please let us know.

Kind regards,

EPP Licensing Team

Bigjobs said:
Congratulations on your licence.

Can I ask what you had to provide as part of the application?

All the requirements are listed on this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ors-and-poisons-licence-application-checklist

In a nutshell, ID (passport), 2 x Proof of address, You need a countersignature on all the forms, and if you are not British then you need to provide a certificate of good conduct.

When filling out the form you need to state which chemicals you would like the licence to cover, what are you going to use them for, what concentration you need, and what quantity at any given time you would like to purchase.

Congrats on your licence, I still am going to get a licence myself, in the 4 years from when I posted I have still been learning and collating material.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

My advise would be apply for at least 25L of whatever you will need, be it Nitric Acid or Sulphuric Acid. The biggest challenge was to get anyone to sell it to me in small quantities in the UK after finally getting the licence, half the companies only sell to educational institutions and the rest only to businesses. In the end I found companies that will sell to me, but they are in mainland Europe and postage is expensive.

In the end I was forced to distill my own nitric acid (quite labour intensive, and now regretting that I didn't just order from Europe). I did however order 98% Sulphuric Acid from a company in Europe (distilling sulphuric acid from drain cleaner is too dangerous in my oppinion so was happy to pay the postage).

The oxymoron being that I think you might find someone in the UK that will sell you those in quantities of 25L+. My licence only covers 5L Nitric and 500ml Sulphuric so I really struggled to have anyone take me seriously...

Simon007 said:
Congrats on your licence, I still am going to get a licence myself, in the 4 years from when I posted I have still been learning and collating material.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Back