Old pinball and slot machines for scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coincard

Supporting Member
Has anyone ever scrapped and old Electromechanical pinball machine or slot machine ? I know there are a lot of copper coils and relay contacts but I am just curious about the stepper wheels and pay discs that have gold colored contacts and some that are silver in color..

I will try and get some photos of what I mean on tomorrow night. Has anyone ever broken one down ?

Dave100_3683.JPG100_3684.JPG100_3685.JPG100_3686.JPG100_3687.JPG

Last edited:
Has anyone ever scrapped and old Electromechanical pinball machine or slot machine ? I know there are a lot of copper coils and relay contacts but I am just curious about the stepper wheels and pay discs that have gold colored contacts and some that are silver in color..

I will try and get some photos of what I mean on tomorrow night. Has anyone ever broken one down ?

DaveView attachment 52352View attachment 52353View attachment 52354View attachment 52355View attachment 52356
Looks promising as far as PGM recovery, but if a machine is good enough to refurbish, probably more valuable as a collector's item.

Relay buttons always have either silver or gold (most often plated when gold is used). For a game, I'd assume they're going to be just silver. Sometimes the silver buttons are solid, sometimes it's just a surface layer of silver on top of copper.

The wheels and discs are tricky. They could be silver coated, or a silver-palladium alloy (palladium was pretty cheap back then). A nitric test is best, followed by dropping silver with HCl, then testing the remaining solution with stannous.

Relay buttons always have either silver or gold (most often plated when gold is used). For a game, I'd assume they're going to be just silver. Sometimes the silver buttons are solid, sometimes it's just a surface layer of silver on top of copper.

The wheels and discs are tricky. They could be silver coated, or a silver-palladium alloy (palladium was pretty cheap back then). A nitric test is best, followed by dropping silver with HCl, then testing the remaining solution with stannous.
Thank you for the information, I am not ready to do anything with these yes, still studying, but when I do I will post results. Many thanks

Dave

Back